Using a bead reamer

Hello Inge,
Both these sites carry the reamer :
jewelrysupply.com
beadsdirect.co.uk

The .com site is cheaper, but I don't know how much cheaper after shipping costs are added.

SOOOO--
How does one incorporate the water? Does one use a twisting motion? I am just not finding detailed directions. And how does one get the broken piece out of the pearl???
Thanks to all for the help--I am such a beginner!
Pattye ;)
so many pearls, so little time, so true it's scary

Pattye,
Such a beginner - you and me both !
So a case of the blind leading the blind, I fear...
I just place the pearl / bead on the tip of the reamer and dip in a glass of water so's the bead is just covered and press the button.
Have to admit, too, that I often don't use water at all if the pearls are small.
I apply gentle pressure on the pearl so as it gradually moves down the reamer as the hole gets bigger.
Then turn the pearl around and do the other end.
No twisting at all - I think that's why all my tips kept breaking or bending - I couldn't have been twisting / reaming in a straight line.

Well, thanks to each of you for all your help!

My battery reamer should be here soon! Caitlin, do you have anything to add to this conversation--as an experienced beader---we always appreciate your wisdom!:)

Pattye
so many pearls, so little time

Hi Pattye
I'm with the panda, I go down a size in the thread (I always use a needle that is as fine as a hair.)
I have bought each kind of reamer I have seen and don't like any of them except I will use it on sharp edges of gemstones, not to make the holes bigger.

I saw several battery operated and elctric reamers on one of the sites someone put up on this thread. I might get one.

I think sueki hs it right, put the pearl/bead in a cup of water while using an electric reamer.
Actually having one that works would make it easier to double the thread back on the ends......

LOL, this is too funny. We each have different ways of accomplishing the same thing. I guess the motto is, brainstorm and whatever works!

Ok, here's my best kept secret. SHHHHH! Don't tell anyone! Gemstone sharp edges fear my tried and true method. Revlon -- sapphire nail file (in other words, any metal nail file) finishing side. Revlon square tipped tweezers are the best little bead tip closers in the world. But be careful, the price of these tools could set you back $2!

Now remember! This is just between us Lowly Beaders! ;)

WOW! Thank you! That is a great couple of tips! Thanks to each of you!

Pattye
so many pearls, so little time

Hmm - maybe I missed it as I was skimming posts (I am trying to catch up after having been away on vacation), but I haven't seen mention yet of a bead holder for stabilizing the pearls as you ream. Reamers (especially the battery operated ones, which I love) can be rather dangerous - I think you should never hold the pearl in your fingers as you ream. Here is a link to my favorite one (I have tried several):
https://www.rings-things.com/cgi-bin/hazel/hazel.cgi?action=detail&item=69-031

Gold, Green Skin, and Chemistry

Gold, Green Skin, and Chemistry

While I am a novice when it comes to pearls, I can answer the question of the black dust and green skin.

The black dust is the base metal in gold plate or low KT gold wire. Gold does not react with other material in the everyday world. It is virtually inert. Also, if the wire is gold and the interior of the pearl is abrasive the dust produced in low KT gold will appear black.

The green skin is a common reaction between sweat, which is acidic, and the copper or brass base metal in the jewelry.

I happen to have a doctorate in chemistry and will be happy to research any question involving chemistry for members of the forum.

:) Wayne

Is 14K considered low KT gold? With gold prices going the way they are, soon I won't be able to even afford 14K!

As far as the reaming is concerned, I can't relate to most of what you've all said. I bought an inexpensive 3 pack of reamers at the craft store, and I use the thinnnest one on my pearls. I dip it into a cup of water while I turn the reamer inside the pearl a little bit. I can't imagine how the reamer would break, or what I would do with a battery powered one. Wouldn't it make the hole too big too fast?

Nicole

Beats me -- I'm just glad to hear from you! Hi! No, I don't think 14KT is low, 9KT and 10KT, yes. I've bent reamers, and I call that broken. I haven't really "broken" one now that you mention it. I don't know what a battery operated one does because I've never used one, but Boo's right. Get a bead holder/tweezer, so you don't injure yourself.

Nicole said:
Is 14K considered low KT gold? With gold prices going the way they are, soon I won't be able to even afford 14K!

Um no not "low" per say. 24K gold is Pure Gold 14K used to be the "Norm" for Jewelry it means less gold and more otehr materials but I do not remember the percentages anymore.

However I have been noticing an increase in 12, 11, 10 and 9K gold stamped on pieces.. its gradual but I am nosy so I check out the stamp marks when I window shop at B&M stores..

I don't think 14K has more other materials than gold. I believe 12K is 50% gold, so over that is higher % gold, and under that is lower %.

I've been noticing an increase in gold-plated and gold-filled jewelry items. I wonder if someone came upon a huge pocket of undiscovered gold somewhere if that would reverse the trend. I don't suppose that's going to happen, though.

Hi knotty! It occurred to me that people probably bent or broke their reamers on harder gemstones or bead-nuked pearls. I can't see it happening on CFWP.

Nicole

Back