Unconventional pearls in Vogue Italia

CLICLASP

I wonder how many of those high fashion pearls are fakes? I am often dismayed at the prices even the big fashion names charge for fakes.
Humph
(and remember you don't appear in Vogue editorial unless you advertise as well....

Hello Anna - love the link many thanks for posting that.

Wendy you force me to climb onto my soapbox there. with "High End" and "Fakes" in the same sentence.

A "Fake" is an item being described or passed off as something it isnt.

The High End houses (Names\Brands) pay utmost attention and care when describing their items.

Fake is well and truly a four letter word for these establishments.

For your enjoyment - if you havent seen this video - Dior's "Mise en Dior" necklace - (faux pearls used) - no real pearls where injured in the making of the pinball video :)

http://www.nowness.com/day/2011/10/14/1673/arcade-couture-mise-en-dior

A fake is an imitation masquerading as the real thing. They use fake pearls. Even if they fancy them up with words such as faux. Real pearls they are not.
My point was not that they deliberately mislead but that they use fake pearls at all.
(and I didn't write 'high end' and 'fakes' in the same sentence)
In any case, you don't appear in Vogue or any similar unless you spend a lot on advertising with them. The editorial is the 'reward'. That sort of arrangement is banned in most journalism

Last edited:
You are troubling me with "high end and fake".
I remember Chanel loving faux pearls and still using them. The fact is that the fake material is set in the same utmost attention and quality in the setting that the real stones, pearls, and precious metal.
Isn't their definition of 'couture" jewelry ?
I visited Chanel's Paris, once to carefully watch at their fake pearls sautoirs, they did mix very plain FW pearls with faux pearls and crystal beads, all set in a very elegant way. The key word of these "couture" people, is " allure".
This is not the key word of the PG people here, we prefer the beauty of natural (fine and cultured I mean) pearls, with their unbeatable beautifull orient and luster.
Am I wrong?
BTW we still don't really know if the Vogue issue features fake or real pearls ...

A fake is an imitation masquerading as the real thing.

So that would be rather the same as a cultured pearl is an imitation (Fake) of a real pearl? - quite a slippery definition. ;)

I apologise for mentioning 'high end' and 'fakes' - rather it was "high fashion" and "fakes" - followed with "big fashion" and "fakes"

Although it is amusing that you mention Journalism in a post on Fakes - given the state of British Journalism in Recent days :)

As to Vogue and their ilk - Photoshopped (Faked) beauties adorn their pages. Such is life.

BUT - Mentioning Fake in reference to reputable businesses (High End\High Fashion\Big Fashion) isnt painting an accurate representation of what is occuring.

As to Vogue and their ilk - Photoshopped (Faked) beauties adorn their pages. Such is life.

BUT - Mentioning Fake in reference to reputable businesses (High End\High Fashion\Big Fashion) isnt painting an accurate representation of what is occuring.

I'm with Wendy - "fake" is an entirely accurate word, whether or not they are set in platinum or steel. What else would you call them, anyway? Counterfeit? Unreal? False? None of those words is any less perjorative than "fake".

Autore is an Australian South Sea pearl house- those are real cultured White and Golden South Sea pearls; Chanel's are likely faux. The House of Boucheron is also high end fine jewelry. I've never heard of Eric Shaix, but a quick Google search turns up a lot of French fashion magazine shoots for "Fun Stuff", so I'd wager most of those pearls were FW.

I love all the designs featured- nice find, Anna! :)

I don't understand Bernadette. A cultured pearl is an imitation of a real pearl. What do you define as a real pearl?
Whatever the rights or wrongs of newspaper journalism, the fact is that you don't get given any editorial coverage in Vogue etc unless you have paid a great deal of money for it by placing adverts. That is worldwide. There is not a word or photo in Vogue which is not paid for in some way

Hi Wendy - going off on a tangent here.....

just clicked on your 'youtube' link - fascinating - kept having to pause it and go back, as to a novice it's so quick, it looks like magic !

lovely necklace , oh - and lovely ring too - paused and went back a few times also to freeze-frame it

it's great to see how wonderful things are actually made, and the skill that goes into them

EarShotJacketWithFreshadamaSmall

fakes or no fakes, I liked one design... so I reproduced it.

I used AAA 8mm( 3 strands) and 2.5mm + 4mm FW for the fringe...(metal is SS)

Thank you Pattye..

8mm are knotted , for 2mm, I put a knot every few pearls. Having knots between every pearl did not make it look nice.
Between last 2mm and 4mm I have diamond cut SS rondelle.

EarShotJacketWithTahitianSmall

close up of the fringe. ( sorry, again crappy camera.. but it gives you an idea...)

When you say Chanel's are likely faux", you mean Chanel couture , otherwise Chanel has high end jewelry pieces with very high grad stones and pearls

Ivona- Your piece is magnificent! Where do you stock up to make those beauties? Have you made other pieces? We want to see more, pretty please :D

Thank you, Isabelle for your words of appreciation..
Over the years I showed on this forum few of my pearl creations. I like what I do..... If others like it too it's a bonus....:)
I buy my strands of pearls wherever I can find a good deal and good pearls. Never bought anything in a regulars store. Internet is my boutique...... LoL....

Back