Twisting

Sueki

Pearl Collector & Designer
So, now I think I'd like to try making a torsade necklace. But I don't know how to twist the strands so they remain twisted permanently.
Or do I simply make a multi-strand necklace and the twisting is done when putting the necklace on, using the clasp to keep the thing twisted ?
Any tips please ?

Sueki said:
Or do I simply make a multi-strand necklace and the twisting is done when putting the necklace on, using the clasp to keep the thing twisted ?
Any tips please ?

That's how I do it. I don't have any idea if it is the proper way, but it works for me!

That sounds like a good design science project. Anyone know the answer? I know how it's done in chain maille, but I'm not familiar enough with the construction to know how to convert it to pearls.

Is there such a thing as a permanently twisted torsade?

Not counting bead weaving...

Fgallery1-5.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
A clasp such as this would work if the strands were attached on each end which is not on the opposing ring, but on a ring different than the other end. (Did I make sense there?)

When you attach clasps, which end do you use first, the male or female end? That's the only way I know to describe it. I attach on the female end first. Go ahead and attach the strands to the female end, string and twist them, then attach them to the male end making sure the strands are not attached to the opposing ring but a ring that isn't opposing, maintaining the twist. That should work.

Blaire, you're the torsade expert. What do you think?

Attachments

• P5956FN.jpg
    P5956FN.jpg
    2.2 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
Ha! The torsade expert!!! NOT!!! :D

Yes, that would work. Actually, any clasp that won't turn will work. ;)

Here is mine. The clasp has a tongue that can only go in one direction.
clasp[1].jpg

Wow,
Thanks for all your replies - sorry to have posted and run; I was out all day and just got back.
Boo, I will probably do as you do for now, and practice Madame La Panda's instructions until I manage to suss it. ;)
So, Knotty, having strung the female end first, do I leave the male ends unfinished, then twist the strands and attach to opposing loops at the male end after all strands are completed ?
Thanks again for all your help everyone; I'm now off for some dinner and back later.

Yup, that's what I'd do. But I actually prefer the idea of twisting it when I wear it rather than having it strung twisted. I'm lazy. Oh, bear in mind, I've never made one either. Torsades don't look right on me. You might try one of these clasps.

Attachments

• P6890FN.jpg
    P6890FN.jpg
    2.2 KB · Views: 37
If you make it untwisted, you have the option of wearing it as a multi-strand necklace. A loose twist would shorten the length somewhat and look casually elegant. A tight twist would be the shortest and most formal. Does that help? That's probably one of the few things I learned -- that the amount of twist really makes a difference in the look and length. On the other hand, there are advantages to making the twist permanent.

You have excellent taste, so I'm sure it will be terrific in whatever way you choose. Just be sure to post photos! ;)

Aw, Cheers, Blaire.
You know, the more I think about it, the more I'm leaning towards doing as you all suggest, and make a multi-strand necklace and twist it as the mood takes me.
It'd be much more versatile that way - almost like having two or three necklaces for the price of one...
I'll play around and post pics. if I get to a finished piece.
Thanks to all for your help and advice - much appreciated.

Twisted or braided strands

Twisted or braided strands

Hi everyone!

I don?t know if this helps but if You take a look at the site of Firemountaingems.com, there is "Beadmakers`Handbook" in PDF-format to load down.
You can do a search under the EncycloBEADIA to find it!

There are very good articles on everything about beading, stringing and everything else connected with it.
Good luck!:)

Sueki said:
Aw, Cheers, Blaire.
You know, the more I think about it, the more I'm leaning towards doing as you all suggest, and make a multi-strand necklace and twist it as the mood takes me.
It'd be much more versatile that way - almost like having two or three necklaces for the price of one...
I'll play around and post pics. if I get to a finished piece.
Thanks to all for your help and advice - much appreciated.

That's part of my approach, Sueki. I don't consider this necklace quite a torsade since it only has 3 strands, but I do twist it as the mood suits me - the first picture is untwisted, next is twisted, third is twisted with a second similar necklace:

Attachments

• IMG_1864flat.jpg
    IMG_1864flat.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_1867twist.jpg
    IMG_1867twist.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_1868doubled.jpg
    IMG_1868doubled.jpg
    110.4 KB · Views: 46
GemGeek said:
If you make it untwisted, you have the option of wearing it as a multi-strand necklace. A loose twist would shorten the length somewhat and look casually elegant. A tight twist would be the shortest and most formal. Does that help? That's probably one of the few things I learned -- that the amount of twist really makes a difference in the look and length.
Without this capability Te Poe O Te Kuki Airani (which brought me here) would not find as much use, that's for sure. Here's a repost of the photo montage done by Mia at Pearl Paradise from the 'Pinctada Maculta' thread:

Attachments

• PPComposite.jpg
    PPComposite.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 40
I really like it when a thread gets people to show their stuff. We all get ideas and inspiration. ;)

Boo, I love the different looks! ;)

And Steve, I must not have caught up to the Pinctada Maculata thread. I picked up a lot of those shells from the ground on Marutea and thought that they would make some fabulous tiny golden pearls.

It looks like you could use your necklace to see in the dark.:cool:

GemGeek said:
I must not have caught up to the Pinctada Maculata thread. I picked up a lot of those shells from the ground on Marutea and thought that they would make some fabulous tiny golden pearls.
Bo Torrey of Pearl World tells the story of eating hundreds of pipi on the island of Manihiki in the early 1990s, spitting pearls as though they were seeds in a tangerine. Of course, they were very small. Also, they were not from Penryhn (Tongareva), which at the time still posed somewhat of a threat as the two islands vyed for who would carry the Cook Islands pearl banner into the future.

smetzler said:
Bo Torrey of Pearl World tells the story of eating hundreds of pipi on the island of Manihiki in the early 1990s, spitting pearls as though they were seeds in a tangerine. Of course, they were very small. Also, they were not from Penryhn (Tongareva), which at the time still posed somewhat of a threat as the two islands vyed for who would carry the Cook Islands pearl banner into the future.

What a great story!! I can't imagine spitting pearls. My pockets would be full of them.;)

GemGeek said:
I can't imagine spitting pearls. My pockets would be full of them.;)
Bo also said he was on the verge of pocketing anything of value (3mm+) but that he was advised this would not be viewed kindly by the Cook Islanders?

I wouldn't want to aggravate the locals. There's no place to hide on an island! ;)

Do you mean Bo Perry, who just made a posting under the Tucson thread? There's going to be an incredible pearl exhibit at AGTA. It looks like they only pulled it together at the last minute. Woo Hoo! ;)

GemGeek said:
Do you mean Bo Perry, who just made a posting under the Tucson thread? There's going to be an incredible pearl exhibit at AGTA. It looks like they only pulled it together at the last minute. Woo Hoo! ;)
Bo Torrey is editor and partner of Pearl World, and one of the greatest characters I've ever come across. Bo lives in Arizona and usually covers AGTA for the publication.

Back