Tumbling Pearls

Leigh

Hi All,

I have a friend who has a selection of pearls he collected in New Guinea a little over 30 years ago. He is not sure from what oysters he got them just that he found them in oysters he collected for food. Four in particular are a spectacular pale blue colour baroque in shape and would make awesome earrings. The others are creamy and some of them are quite round. What I would like to know is how to clean them up. He has a tumbler (he is a jeweller) but doesn't know what material (I read somewhere maybe it is pumice?) to tumble them in. Could someone please advise me as to technique for tumbling pearls.
Thank you in anticipation,
Leigh

EEK! not pumice! I have heard bamboo chips are used and maybe, cork. Something very gentle.

What king of dirt is on them? Can you just wash them and terry cloth towel them?

I understand that pearl farmers tumble their pearls or buff them. I would like to know that technique

Hi Leigh and Friend,

Has your friend kept them in a safe all this time? If so, they could be pretty dried out! Usually they will clean up easily with some pure castile soap. There is lots of cleaning info on this thread. What does he hope to accomplish by tumbling?? It will not remove blemishes. Can you post a photo of the pearls?

Pattye
so many pearls, so little time

Definitely do the minimum to these pearls. As naturals, their value arises from Not Polishing, Not Working, etc...so they simply represent the work of natural events.
Tom Stern,MD

Hi Leigh
You can find tumbling methods used on cheap pearls, only to polish them in great quantities. But you will never see us recommend you tumble natural pearls. Please wait before plunging ahead. It is most likely you will damage them.

Pattye is right, pure Castile soap will remove dust and crud that has gathered since removing from the water. The Pearl Outlet promotes a newer cleaner. It is in the Care and cleaning forum. You know how refinishing a Louis 14th table destroys the value to the antiques market? .... Please be cautious, natural pearls are very very rare.

Since naturals are so rare, you would be doing us a great favor to post photos.

Caitlin said:
Since naturals are so rare, you would be doing us a great favor to post photos.

Second that!

The only 'treatment' those need is having good pictures taken, I think ;)

Thanks for your input guys. It is really appreciated. I will try and get some pics done and post them here

Back