Tucson Gem & Mineral Show 2018

I agree with you, Pearlescence... We are also a great number, in France, to be shocked by rules to enter in USA. Moreover, I have heard that makes tourism toward USA falling down this year. It's sad.

Oh eric, there are countries in South East Asia which fingerprint every tourist. Cambodia is one of them. And I thought also Malaysia and Indonesia.

Yes Pareltje, I know that: democracy and individual liberties are stepping back everywhere in the world.
I don't agree with Cambodia, Malaysia and Indonesia, too. I don't know if it's still available, but a time ago, nobody (men) was allowed to land in Malaysia with hairs longer than the shirt collar... I have short hairs, but this kind of short views makes me sick.

Last edited:
It's getting hard to find a place to go for a vacation. My husband refuses to travel in America now ( he has to go to our son's wedding in S Cal but says he won't continue on in the states. None of my friends will travel to the USA now either. So it's looking a bit like Scandinavia ?

Katbran, I don't believe that you would meet any special difficulties to go for a vacation in Scandinavia... Maybe there's differences between countries, because Scandinavia, it's Denmark, Norway, Sweden, Finland, Island. Norway and Island are not in UE, it can do a few, but I think these countries are enough very welcoming.
Denmark is a little too much flat for my taste, Finland too, but with many wonderful lakes. Norway and Sweden: wild mountains and deep fjords, Island: volcanos and glaciers... All views of Lord of the rings' lands.

Last edited:
Hi everyone,

I will be in Tucson. It's great. I've gone for the past 15 years and it has changed quite a bit. It is really tough to get into AGTA and GJX shows. For AGTA I think you have to prove $5000. in invoices from AGTA companies. Maybe it's not as tough now, but that is what it was. You def need resale license and business cards to get into the wholesale shows. There are plenty of fun shows that are open to the public though. AGTA seminars are open to the public and no cost! They are some of the best parts of the whole Tucson experience. I would go just for the seminars! Hope to see everyone at the Strack seminar.

Hello to all you pearls.. yes as per the last couple of decades and counting :).... We will exhibit as PACIFIC PEARLS in booth 107 at the GJX. The show opens on January 30th! We're working to sort, price and pack up all the new pearls we'll be bringing to the show. Looking forward as always to Elisabeth Strack's lecture and seeing all of you who can make it. With warmth, travel safe and see you in the land of gems and pearls! Sarah

I wish I were going, but I have a conflict, so I'll have to try for 2019. Looking forward to hearing all the travel reports after the show!

Judi, thank you for sharing your knowledge and experience about the Tucson shows, especially the GJX and the AGTA. I will have to give up that dream for now :). If y'all are planning to meet up after the seminar, I hope to join y'all- atleast to say hello :).

Oh, I wish I could go! I'm actually in the US right now with nothing to do. But, I'm in the US, which means I don't have a lot of money for travel *and* shopping. I might have to buy something from Kojima before, though. Want to grab something nice before they sell it off at the show!

Judi,
I hope I get to have the pleasure of meeting you at the show then. I might actually be able to get into GJX and see the Cortez Pearl booth as well as Kojima/Pacific Pearl booth! Can't wait to see y'all there!

So it's been a couple days since the Gem Shows have started. I was able to head to the Pueblo Gem Show and snap a couple of pictures of pearls and non pearls :)

20180127_163945.jpg

20180127_164811.jpg
cropped20180127_164807.jpg

20180127_165009.jpg

I went to JOGS as well, but took more pictures of non pearl items there.

I ACTUALLY am able to attend AGTA seminars. Lovely Pattye was right, and I thankfully followed her suggestion in contacting the AGTA. I will be trying to attend some seminars tomorrow over there, then try to head to GJX and see the wonders over there.

Attachments

• 20180127_165306.jpg
    20180127_165306.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 40
Guess who I bumped into yesterday,
Over in the AGTA lobby! It was great to finally meet them, really kind and funny! I look forward to Elizabeth's seminar this Friday.
20180131_224648.jpg

IMG_20180131_151808_261.jpg

20180131_134153.jpg
The gold on the south sea keshi strand were so deep, someone probably grabbed it after I left.

20180131_132823.jpg
Some fun baroque south sea strands. Not the best quality, but still fun!

20180131_153257.jpg

Oh I had the pleasure of meeting Douglas as well! Finally have a SOC mabe pearl...making a pendant or ring probably :). Some pairs I chose and almost grab, but will look again Friday when I head back.
20180131_163630.jpg

Pretty multicolor bead nucleated strand.
IMG_20180131_151808_263.jpg

Planning to stop by Pacific pearls and check what beauties they have left at their booth.

Bravo, Abi! Thank you so much for the awesome photos! I'm glad you are meeting forum friends, attending meetings and more! For some odd reason this thread isn't showing up as a new post, so it's not being read. Weird!

So satisfying seeing the hanks of pearls stacked up and ohhhh, those dark gold keshi, Yummy!!

The golden keshi look wonderful...it would be lovely to see them in person.

Back