Trying to educate myself

happyme

I've read so many of the posts on here and I've read through the education links, and I feel more lost than before! While I had a pretty good knowledge of the differences in pearls, now I'm questioning my own pearls!
I bought my pearls years ago, fresh water and salt water, akoya. But now I'm wondering if my "akoya" are akoya because I did get it from the oysters at Disney!
And now my sister and mom are hooked on the FB parties, another new company, and I'm at a loss! I thought they did come in various colors, but I guess that's not true, and I couldn't find that detail in any of the links! Help! Educate me in details, I'm good with basics and general information! Thank you!

Attachments

• 20170130_231057.jpg
    20170130_231057.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 28
  • 20170126_161929.jpg
    20170126_161929.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 31
How many years ago did you get your pearls at Disney? Are we talking about decades ago, or more recently? Back in 1992 when I was on honeymoon I saw a wish pearl booth on Oahu, and I'm sure those pearls would have been akoyas since freshwaters just were not being produced in such round shapes at that time.

Nowadays the pearls in oysters are freshwaters, which come in natural colors that akoyas do not come in-- pinks, lavenders, peaches. If they are black or gray, they are also dyed.

And now my sister and mom are hooked on the FB parties, another new company, and I'm at a loss!

Happyme, this party you talked about, is it a pearl party? Please stay away from them! There's enough information about it here. There's a separate thread dedicated to those parties and open an oyster shams.

How many years ago did you get your pearls at Disney? Are we talking about decades ago, or more recently? Back in 1992 when I was on honeymoon I saw a wish pearl booth on Oahu, and I'm sure those pearls would have been akoyas since freshwaters just were not being produced in such round shapes at that time.

Nowadays the pearls in oysters are freshwaters, which come in natural colors that akoyas do not come in-- pinks, lavenders, peaches. If they are black or gray, they are also dyed.

The ones in my picture are from about 13-16yrs ago. It was the Pearl Factory/NA HOKU. I did take them to my jeweler when we got home and he did just a general appraisal and was almost 3xs what I paid.
I remember the story behind their pearls them saying they had special harvest and appeared to be a true opening. But I did get my daughter one a few years ago from the same place and it honestly looks just like mine, color and size. None of the ones I've opened from them were colored.

Sorry learning your page!

Okay so the set ones, I got from the Pearl Factory about 13-16yrs ago (two different visits). They are all about the same color, the ring is the largest.
We went back a few years ago and went to the same booth and got one for our daughter and it looks like mine.
I did take them to my jeweler and his appraisal was almost 3xs what I actually paid, so I never thought about until these parties started. And I'm not interested in the parties just because I kept questioning the oysters validity when I saw the pearls.

Ohhh the loose pearl is what my sister had opened for me during one of those parties! I didn't know what it was, so just had it sent to me as is!

I don't know for sure at that point they began placing FWP in these oysters, but recent pearls from these parties or Disney would be FWP; the oldest ones could be FWP too as they date back to when round FWP began being available.

But look: if they are FWP then they are solid nacre and very durable. My advice is to just enjoy your jewelry!

Oooohhhhh trust me, I still love them! I took my sister and brother and they each picked one out for me and then my brother and I did the same for my sister. Just a memory for us! And the gold and diamond is called a hurricane, which since at the time I was a floridian, I fell in love immediately lol. The ring is actually a little over 8mm and the matching pendant is a little over a 7.5mm.
Thank y'all for your information! I don't have a lot of pearls because I knew of the fraud and just decided to wait until I was more educated and had a larger bank account lol

Just stay away from the pearl parties scams. My 22 year old daughter moved to Hawaii last Sept and said many stores sell the pearls to open. She took her friend to the Dole company plant and they were selling the open a pearl there. She overheard the sales person upsale the pearls and then talk the buyers into purchasing little pearl pendants and necklaces, which cost more than the pearl in a (different) oyster. I asked her what she thought and she said she was a little disgusted. She told me she wouldn't dare buy one because she knows I wouldn't like the pearl. She knows how much I pay for really nice Tahitians, and the cost of the pearl accessories and the opening an inserted pearl was higher. I raised her well. lol

Back