Treasure or Trash ( South Sea Baroque pearls)

Ringed pearls may be an acquired taste if one thinks all pearls should be round. The truth is most aren't perfectly round though the bead helps a lot.

There is another discussion of how the rings form somewhere around here. Rings are just one of the very nice variations from round pearls. It probably took awhile to collect all the pearls to match the rings in the necklace that well. 20 years ago SS pearls were very rare and very high end. These pearls will always be less expensive than perfect round ones, but they still are not cheap looking because they are obviously SS and really quite large, compared to any other pearls.

I think the luster looks good, the nacre is thick and they can be worn a lot without worry.

Thank you Caitlin for your insight. I actually don't mind baroques - I think they are fun and less dressy. If this was a strand of round SS, it would be quite formal and definitely expensive.

I have been so anxiously wanting opinions on these because of lack of exposure to nice SS baroques. Like all other pearls, they go from ultra expensive to dirt cheap. I personally do not believe in cheap pearls. Unlike cheap gold jewelry, I think cheap pearls only add negative effect to our looks. I can easily get away with wearing inexpensive clothes and caring non-designer bags, but I doubt I would ever with cheap dull low quality pearls.

Last time when I saw an impressive round strand, it was on Mrs. George H.W. Bush during the Presidential Library opening ceremony on TV(in Taxes I believe). She looked so graceful and powerful in those ginormous glistening white pearls. I believed they were at least 15mm with no signs of tapering. My jaw literally dropped when she first appeared.

I love pearls.

Mrs. Bush wore imitation pearls made by Kenneth Jay Lane-- her multi-strand, that is. I do not know if her large pearls were real, but I'll try to find out!

Jackie Kennedy's famous 3 strand necklace was also an imitation made by KJL.

Okay, I'm reading People and Pearls. Pages 86-88 are about Barbara Bush's pearls. It seems Mrs. Bush's 12mm pearls were also imitations by KJL, as well as the black strand she wore to the funeral of Emperor Hirohito.

Nancy Reagen also wore KJL imitations.

I Think your SS Pearls are pretty nice.
And i Think 800 dollar is a good price for them.

Am I the only one who does not know that Mrs. Bush's pearls are KJL? I thought KJL were like the elaborate Parisian costume jewelry.

If the rich and powerful are wearing KJL, how does the pearl industry survive(and thrive)? I have some darn nice Carolee 15mm strands bought years ago. I liked them so much I bought three colors.

I will wear at least one of them this weekend. The $800 necklace look tiny next to those.

Lots of rich and famous ladies own both real and imitation pearls. The fakes are safer for travel.

Jackie and Barbara wore those before there were very many cultured klonks; but today, real pearls (ie "the Pelosi) are entrenching themselves as the pearls to wear. That is, people are wearing fantastic pearls, but not fake and not necessarily white and round. I think Mrs. Obama likes the cultured ones over the imitation pearls; for instance- she wore that one from Pearl Paradise and wore it more than once. Maybe she is still wearing it?

Great necklace. Great price. I own a big pair of earrings that would match your pearls. I love the rings! :)

I'd like to see a pic of them layed out on something. White and gold South Seas come in circled, and I've seen a lot more of them recently. Could we get another shot of them on something instead of your hand?

Hi! paper towel, outdoors, mid-day, in the shade:)

A neck shot would be nice ;) Just the neck, most people don't show their face.

DSCN0983.jpgDSCN0984.jpg

These were taken by the window in my living room. It's quite dark out.
The other two are my humble Tahitians, one 15", one 16.5".

Back