Thread/string advice needed

Sarahorsomeone,

That's adorable, and your photography is terrific! The knotting looks great too. I'm also impressed that you made the pearl berries. Were the berries difficult and time consuming to make? What a silly question! I just checked your art gallery you linked to earlier. You posted that the berries were made with 1x2mm cfwp, and finished at 8-9mm!

Thanks for the nice comments everyone.

Pattye, the berries/clusters aren't too difficult when you've got the hang of it (I'd already got used to the technique making clusters for pendants out of 4mm beads); but they are fairly time-consuming when you've got multiples to make. I'd say they took me about 30-40 minutes each but would take less time if I wasn't so picky about threading the loose ends back through the pearls when it's done and knotting multiple times in different places (so there's no way the cluster will come apart).

There's quite a lot of good tutorials on Youtube; although most use crystals or fake pearls (the regularity of which makes it slightly easier). I used this one when I was learning how to do it: http://mydailybead.blogspot.co.uk/2008/12/beaded-bead-tutorial-how-to-bead-ball.html

You can also buy them ready made but I've never seen them smaller than about 11 or 12 mm.

That is absolutely beautiful! I love the contrast in textures. Thank you so much for sharing!

I have just made a 45 inch spinel/pearl rope using doubled Power Pro (10lbs). But the necklace is quite stiff and does not fall nicely. Will Power Pro get more like silk with wearing? I am now thinking of shortening the necklace and use silk instead. Or is there a softer thread that still bears weight that I could use. Would prefer a black one.

You must have made very tight knots indeed! Wear it and see if the knots loosen a bit with wear. I haven't had problems with the drape of my PowerPro necklaces.

Whenever I finish the knot, I stretch the necklace to make sure there are no kinks and the knots are tight. You are the first to say the knots were too tight. You must have really been pulling hard. Normally the drape is identical to silk. Beadalon makes a black thread, much softer than PP and more slippery to knot.

I did not knot it. But the spinel beads are small and pack tightly. Maybe I just finish it and see what happens.

It was my assumption that you had knotted.

You could use, instead of knots, 2mm round beads to create the same flexibility of a knot.

2mm garnets are nice, and the color is a plus in many necklaces, like this tourmaline one I made a while back (on beading wire):

attachment.php

This summer was like a black hole for me and I missed this bracelet. It's faboo! Those pearl clusters are too cute. I wish I had the time to do something like it. Great job! :cool:

Thanks for the advice Caitlin and Pearl Dreams. And this is a very nice necklace. I love tourmaline. I need to buy some. I was in a black spinel and labradorite phase 2 years ago. Then everything went into storage. My resolution for this year is to make at least 2 necklaces a month and to work through my stash.

Back