These Pearls - Any Thoughts?

rivermandave

Community member
Hi I'm David.

I would appreciate any thoughts you kind folks might have about these.

Local jeweler said they were all real pears.

Attachments

• DSCN7716.jpg
    DSCN7716.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 25
The ring on the top row, the oval on the bottom row, the oval flat earrings and parts of the earrings in the green box, all look like mother of pearl which can easily fool people into thinking it is pearls - maybe because it is the same nacre- it is just from the shell not made into a pearl inside the body.
Don't be disappointed that so many of those pieces are mop; they are beautiful and could not look more like pearls without being pearls.

The ones in the green box also seem to have some kind of pearl in them along with the mop.

The strand on the top row looks like freshwater pearls , but it really needs a close up to see better

The ones in the red boxes are too small to see properly, but could be carved Mop.

The strands on the bottom row left look like rice shaped freshwater pearls.

The tapered strand looks older and needs a good closeup.

I can't even venture a guess on the golden ones, bottom left, except imitation, and that is not fair without better photos.

Please take more photos.....
I love the southwest styling of the ring and would love to own one like that should you decide to list it somewhere.

Hi and welcome,

You can also check the round beads for being real pearls or fake by rubbing two of them gently together. If they feel slightly rough, they're real pearls. If they feel very smooth, they are most likely fake pearls. Real pearls do not necessarily have a high value. It depends on the kind of pearls.

- Karin

The gold colored pearls have a knot in between eash one. I don't think that someone would take the time to do that if they weren't real.

Your reasoning seems logical here, except knotting between imitation pearls is done just for that reason~to make them seem more realistic. The way this necklace is finished near the clasp also indicates they are likely imitation pearls. Hopefully I will have a chance to look at the other photos and comment later today.

Your reasoning seems logical here, except knotting between imitation pearls is done just for that reason~to make them seem more realistic. The way this necklace is finished near the clasp also indicates they are likely imitation pearls. Hopefully I will have a chance to look at the other photos and comment later today.

I've enlarged the clasp for you. I hope it helps.

clasp.jpg

Does the clasp have any markings? They are very perfect beads with what looks like a brass clasp and no proper finish to the ends at the clasp. I don't think they are cultured pearls, but they sure do fool the eye when someone wears them. Check them as KarinK suggested- if they are smooth they are manufactured. if cultured they will have a faint gritty feel. Even for cultured pearls the colors, shapes and sizes are too matchy-matchy for the quality of the clasp.

Does the clasp have any markings? They are very perfect beads with what looks like a brass clasp and no proper finish to the ends at the clasp. I don't think they are cultured pearls, but they sure do fool the eye when someone wears them. Check them as KarinK suggested- if they are smooth they are manufactured. if cultured they will have a faint gritty feel. Even for cultured pearls the colors, shapes and sizes are too matchy-matchy for the quality of the clasp.

I can't tell if they feel gritty or not. The necklace is fairly heavy so I know they aren't plastic beads. Even hollow brass beads (I'm a fisherman) wouldn't be this heavy.

Clasp has no markings. Here's a better pic.

Attachments

• DSCN7753b.jpg
    DSCN7753b.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 26
Lots of imitation pearls are glass with an imitation pearlescent coating. These are a bit heavier than real pearls. I have to say those look imitation.

Lots of imitation pearls are glass with an imitation pearlescent coating. These are a bit heavier than real pearls. I have to say those look imitation.

Would the coating prevent a jeweler from being able to tell whether they are real or not?

I took them to BNOX in Pepin WI and she said she couldn't tell. :confused:

No the coating would not prevent anyone who knows pearls and has a loupe from telling whether they are real. I would conclude that the jeweler you spoke with has little experience with or knowledge about pearls. This isn't unusual, by the way.

You rubbed two of the pearls gently against each other, right? If they slide easily against one another, that indicates they are imitation.

If the jeweler you visited sells real cultured pearls, ask to use her loupe to look at the surface of her pearls close up, then compare with your strand. Real nacre has a very fine, smooth appearance. Imitation pearl coatings are more textured looking, something like an orange peel. The worse the quality, the coarser the surface. Even my best imitation strands (Majorica) look coarser under 10x magnification than my least expensive freshwater pearls.

You could also visit any thrift store-- these always seem to have imitation pearls strands for sale. Handle some of their imitation pearls. Rub two of the known-fake pearls together. Feel what that is like. Compare with your own strand.

IMO anyone who buys or sells jewelry should buy themselves a 10x triplet loupe. They don't cost a lot and they are so useful! Here is one listing, I'm sure you can find more:
http://www.riogrande.com/Search/10x-loupe

This thread may also interest you:
https://www.pearl-guide.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7110

No the coating would not prevent anyone who knows pearls and has a loupe from telling whether they are real. I would conclude that the jeweler you spoke with has little experience with or knowledge about pearls. This isn't unusual, by the way.

You rubbed two of the pearls gently against each other, right? If they slide easily against one another, that indicates they are imitation.

If the jeweler you visited sells real cultured pearls, ask to use her loupe to look at the surface of her pearls close up, then compare with your strand. Real nacre has a very fine, smooth appearance. Imitation pearl coatings are more textured looking, something like an orange peel. The worse the quality, the coarser the surface. Even my best imitation strands (Majorica) look coarser under 10x magnification than my least expensive freshwater pearls.

You could also visit any thrift store-- these always seem to have imitation pearls strands for sale. Handle some of their imitation pearls. Rub two of the known-fake pearls together. Feel what that is like. Compare with your own strand.

IMO anyone who buys or sells jewelry should buy themselves a 10x triplet loupe. They don't cost a lot and they are so useful! Here is one listing, I'm sure you can find more:
http://www.riogrande.com/Search/10x-loupe

This thread may also interest you:

She had looked at them through a microscope. She said "I believe they are real but I'm not 100% sure. I don't see anything that tells me they are fake, but you should have them checked by a pro ."

Rubbing them together doesn't tell anything as I don't know if I'm even capable of feeling what you are describing.

I have a loupe set here but can't find it. I do have a couple of magni glassed with the small "enhancer" like this.

I'm not seeing the "orange peel" effect you are describing.

Attachments

• mag.jpg
    mag.jpg
    7.9 KB · Views: 25
The reason you want to use 10x magnification is that pearl surfaces look a certain way under that amount of magnification. A microscope is probably too powerful. Your magnifier is not powerful enough.

Depending on the magnification, with a microscope a person might even see the wavy lines of genuine nacre (which is why nacre feels a bit rough/resistant when a pearl is rubbed against another pearl.)

The orange peel look is not dramatic. It's subtle, but when comparing a real pearl and a fake one it is obvious.

The jeweler had to have a loupe. Every jeweler has one! If by some miracle she does not own a loupe, visit another jeweler. Ask to use the loupe. Look at known-real pearls and known-fake pearls and compare with your strand. This is my best advice.

Your pearls show no overtones as real pearls do. They are too uniform, and the findings are what one would expect with an imitation strand.

The image is good but not 10x magnification. Sorry, you need the loupe.

Also-- examine the pearls near the drill holes. Here are some things you may see with imitation pearls, but they may be absent in very good imitations like Majorica:

1. Beveling near the drill holes. This may go with the pearls being a little flatter near the drill holes.
2. Swirls of excess coating extending beyond the drill hole.
3. Areas where the coating wore away or peeled away, revealing the bead underneath.

Have you looked at the thread I suggested? It's all about imitations.

Riverman Dave,
There are some pretty amazing faux pearls out there, particularly among those produced in Japan 30-50 years ago. They have the weight of real pearls, and can have almost near perfect luster/shine. I handle freshwater pearls almost daily and I have to tell you that on occasion I come across a strand that is such a nice quality that I manage to convince myself that it must be real. I had a strand recently that had a prong mounted "diamond" clasp with a marking (not quite readable even with a loupe) and even a safety chain. What finally made me realize it was a very fine faux strand was the temperature difference between that strand and what I knew to be a strand of genuine pearls. Real pearls feel cool on your skin and faux pearls will take on the temperature of your skin, such that there is a temperature contrast between the two. I can't feel it in my hands as much as I can when I place a strand against each cheek. You might try that and maybe you will be able to discern a difference. Use either the strand in the top row or the graduated strand. Also I have to agree with the finishing comment. The brass head pin is characteristic of Japan 60's era head pins manufactured for use by high end costume jewelry designers like Miriam Haskell who used faux pearls extensively. Whether it's real or not, the strand is lovely and someone will enjoy wearing it.

Would the coating prevent a jeweler from being able to tell whether they are real or not?....

Re-reading this part of your post makes me think we may not have made it clear what we mean by a "coating".

You would not expect real cultured pearls to have any sort of coating. Coatings are what turn plain beads into imitation pearls.

Imitation pearls consist of a bead (glass, plastic or shell) that is coated with a pearly-looking lacquer. The better the fake pearl, the more times the bead is dipped. The best ones are dipped dozens of times with polishing in between each coat. The pearly appearance of the coating comes from substances extracted from fish scales.

Also, imitation pearls can be high end. Jackie Kennedy's famous 3 strand pearl necklace was an imitation strand made by Kenneth Jay Lane. The same is true for Barbara Bush's multi-strand pearls necklaces.

Riverman Dave,
The brass head pin is characteristic of Japan 60's era head pins manufactured for use by high end costume jewelry designers like Miriam Haskell who used faux pearls extensively. Whether it's real or not, the strand is lovely and someone will enjoy wearing it.

Thank you jmd for that information. At least I can now somewhat date the strand. Now I have to determine a value for sale.

@ Pearl Dreams...thank you for the tutilage. Thanks also to KarinK, pattye and Caitlin for your time and knowledgeable comments.

And you folks are right...the strand in question is faux (as you have said all along). How do I know for sure? An interesting twist of events.

Several days ago I contacted a local jeweler that specializes in Mississippi River pearls, as I had I few loose ones to sell. 3 days ago I emailed them and asked that if they didn't have any interest in them that I would list them on Ebay.

No response. So I listed them.

This morning I received a phone call from noneother than Nadine Leo, owner of Mississippi River Pearls in Alma WI. We met this afternoon, and she was kind enough to look through all my pearly-type stuff shown in my original post.

She confirmed what you good folks have been saying about the gold-ish strand (with her teeth LOL!)

Attached is a pic marked with what she told me about my pearl items.

Items in black rectangles are her OWN original pieces (she made them!).

Items in green are real pearls.

Items in red are faux pearls.

Attachments

• DSCN7717-nadine.jpg
    DSCN7717-nadine.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:
Congrats on having the Mississippi River pearls identified! What a nice thing to own!

These sorts of threads are great for readers. There is so much to be learned about pearls!

Congrats on having the Mississippi River pearls identified! What a nice thing to own!

These sorts of threads are great for readers. There is so much to be learned about pearls!

Thanks! The 2 Nadine Leo pieces are Mississippi River pearls ;)

Here's a pic of the pearls that she got from me.

Items marked are especially nice.

Attachments

• DSCN7672b.jpg
    DSCN7672b.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 36
Back