The value of pearls

KarinK

Sue raises an interesting point in her thread about the value of her akoya pearls. I've begun to see pearls as a commodity rather than any kind of investment (not that I ever bought expensive pearls), but the idea that pearls are valuable is sooo deeply rooted in people. Maybe it goes back to the days of only natural pearls. Is that why most people consider pearls valuable?

Because looking at e.g. akoyas, they wear out. I know they are called 'organic gems', but a gem doesn't wear out. Worse case it can be recut. With pearls we lose layer after layer of nacre when we use them for their purpose. And if we don't use them, they lose their luster.

It just seems interesting that there is such a gap between the general opinion and the actual facts. Someone have done a pretty good piece of marketing.

- Karin

In general, jewelry isn't an investment -- unless you are buying top of the line unset rubies, diamonds etc. or historic pieces. (Try to resell a diamond ring and see how little you will get for it.)
We buy at retail and resell at wholesale.

You may have a point there about natural pearls. It used to be that only nobles and royalty could own pearls; culturing democratized pearl ownership. And I think the culturing of round freshwater pearls by the Chinese furthered that process, since they are so much more affordable than akoyas.

For the Chinese, endless thank-yous, because however rare and precious natural pearls are, dead little squirmy things inside of a pearl - just Gross. A bit of mantle tissue, happy healthy critters...

I know, Get Over It, Cretin! right?????

Last edited:
Pearl Dreams, unlike cars I think you can indeed buy gemstones that will resale reasonably well - if you buy them used and know (or know someone) to tell you what you are doing. But pearls seem more tricky as they wear down.

Last year I bought a diamond bracelet from a dear friend. It was from the 30'ies and had belonged to her grandmother. I could have gotten one at a lesser price at an auction (though according to my friend I was getting a bargain), but she just turned 69 and some day this bracelet might be all the memory I have. I was asked by another friend what the bracelet was worth, and the answer is "whatever someone is willing to pay." One day it might be worth a loaf of bread to keep from starving. BUT unlike pearls, the diamond bracelet is untouched by time, not worn or yellowed or dull.

Let's all buy what we love and wear it and not expect it to have a value. I love that advice from PG :)

- Karin

New diamonds and jewellery, pearls included, are expensive to buy, and one is lucky to get as much as 20% on resale value, based on personal experience.

Gold and platinum jewellery without stones are much better at keeping their values though.

DK ;)

Back