The Natural Pearls of Cassis Cornuta

boedhyzr

Hello Every Body, we meet again.
And we must meet again and again in the future.
that,s because I,ve learn much things from this forum, and I'm still want to learn more and more.
Ok, this is My divers team's new story.
In this couple weeks, we've got a collector items order to search a few of Cassis Cornuta's Shells in some size.
When we dive for it, we found some of natural pearls inside of it.
I've uploaded their Photos in my profil albums, You may check it. Also, you may make a comments in there, about the pearls or the photos.
Then, what I want to know from this forum are anything about the Cassis Cornuta pearls.
Because for now, we want to sell them.
Any idea about that?
Does any ones would give me the estimates price?
It's not a good price, But the right price info is helpfull for us to make an offer for our collector buyers?
Thanks a lot for every body kindness.
Budi-Indonesia
picture.php

Last edited:
Cassis

Cassis

Budi,

That is a nice pearl, the 42ct one. Do you have any more photos of all sides of that pearl, plus a real close-up of the flame structure? Measure it and tell me millimeters in all 3 dimensions.

Sometimes these are cut shells, not pearls. I need to see more of it. If it looks good, I will send a man to you from Celebes.

Send pictures to my email DrTKStern@aol.com

Regards,
Datuk Tom Stern

The magnified photo shows some lovely flame on the pearl! Is it visible in person?

Were there more then one pearl in each shell? How large were the pearl-bearing shells? Any chance to see both pearls and shell in a picture?

[must say; not sure how much help this might end up being to you - but I must ask: the record of such pearls is awfully thin!]

…the record of such pearls is awfully thin!]
Yes, even in Strack the only Cassis genus mentioned is Cassis Scopoli, no idea how closely related it may be to Cornuta. Range of pearl color: yellow to brownish red, shells from yellow, red and brown. Bleaching occurs under light and heat.

Yes, that 42ct pearl has potential, but it appears to lack a couple shades of color and an element of chatoyance to be absolutely first-class, assuming it is symmetrical and flamed on all sides.

Dr. Stern's caveat about the shells must be addressed: Strack: 'The flame pattern is also seen in the shells, which are used so extensively in the Italian cameo industry.'

I'm sure it will be worth Dr. Stern's effort to check in situ, and we look forward to the results!

The magnified photo shows some lovely flame on the pearl! Is it visible in person?

Were there more then one pearl in each shell? How large were the pearl-bearing shells? Any chance to see both pearls and shell in a picture?

[must say; not sure how much help this might end up being to you - but I must ask: the record of such pearls is awfully thin!]

Yes valeria, it's visible in person under the sun light. It,s only one pearl in one shell. You may check them in my profil album also.
picture.php

Attached to shell

Attached to shell

Hi,

That pearl appears to be attached to the shell. Yes? No?

Need more photos of the 42 carat Cassis pearl, all sides.

Datuk Tom Stern

Hi,

That pearl appears to be attached to the shell. Yes? No?

Need more photos of the 42 carat Cassis pearl, all sides.

Datuk Tom Stern

No, the pearl is not attached to the shell.
I just put in there to compare the colours of both.

The pearl is already delivered to mr.Jnorris,
so that is in my album and my first thread of cassis is the only photos that I could take.
Maybe we would able to ask mr.Jnorris be kindly for share with us?
and for the measurment, we can see it in the blocked background of the photos. It,s 5mm X 5mm per block.

Congratulations on your sale to a most highly-respected pearl dealer. We should expect to hear something about that pearl in the future.

I just checked your photo albums and have noticed you removed the 'blue pearl' discussed in your Natural Pearls of Pinctada thread.

Was Mr. Norris able to inspect that one?

Are any of the other pearls in your albums still available for purchase?

Thank you, steve.
Yes, I've remove the blue one. I thinks it's not the right place when I put in there.
I'm affraid it can change my threads's purpose directions.
And yes there are any of the other pearls in my album still available for purchase.
Please let me know, If you were interested. I'll be happy to send you the detail via PM or emails.

Back