The Elusive Scottish Pearl

hbyrne

Hello Pearllovers!

I've not posted in quite a while, but thought to share my latest find. From a seller who was directed to the shop as 'the lady over the alley likes Pearls', this unassuming little Victorian three Pearl ring. The seller was Scottish and said it was her G-Grandmother's and her family was from Dundee. It came in a box from a jeweller named John R Wilkie of Dundee (not very far at all from The Tay River). So, particularly as these look very like those that I think I've seen, I'm pretty happy that these are they. A little disappointing in lustre, they look like nothing so much as badly worn CP. The engraving on the ring is beautiful tho'.

image.jpgimage.jpg

Helen, what a find! That is a dream ring to have in your collection! I love the creamy look of Tay River pearls and all the engraving really enhances their appearance. I'd like to see hand shots!

What a gorgeous ring. The luster (or lack thereof) looks very similar to other photos of Scottish pearls I've seen.

That ring is so beautiful. The engraving is incredible, and I love the way the pearl settings echo the engraving ... gorgeous workmanship. Thanks for sharing!

I'm really chuffed Andrea, I've been wanting to find a piece with Scottish freshwater Pearls for a good while but with other Scottish pieces I've seen I've not been sure. It's lovely that it has such a good provenance.

The setting is beautiful and really sets this ring apart from others. Congrats on your find!

How beautiful. The engraving is so intricate & masterfully done!! Such a rare find. Thank you for sharing!!

Back