The "chocolate" Trend

Rainui

I was just wondering what the people of this forum think of Tahitian pearls

Treated "chocolate" Pearls Vs. Natural Chocolate colors.

I know there is a Thread about this in the past but I just decided to start a new topic. Please discuss.

My opinion is why you would want a necklace where all the pearls look the same, instead of having natural chocolate colored pearls on a strand with different colors radiating from it. Wouldn't it be better with a natural process?

I will be posting natural choc pearls in a bit.

I have several strands of "chocolate" dyed freshwater--they have various overtones and do not look the same at all. For the price, they are also a great size, at least 10-11mm. Chocolate keshi are fabulous also! I also do have a strand of natural color "chocolate" bronze genuine Kasumi pearls. If price were no object, sure, I would be happy to go for natural color chocolate cultured Tahitian pearls every time!

I do agree with you on the fact that some treated "choc" pearls that you find do not have the same color, but for the majority of the people that look for pearls online do not always have the expertise that yourself and others know about "how" the pearl's colors became this way. To the general population you associate Tahitian "Choc" Pearls treated or natural don't matter.

some random link i found on a perfect example & a quick description of "how" this company explains it.
http://www.mauidivers.com/Island-Pe...Pearl-Strand-with-Diamond-in-14K-White-Gold9/

"Chocolate Tahitian Pearls

In a word—scrumptious! These richly colored pearls shimmer in delectable hues of cocoa and coffee, and are perfect showcased in gleaming gold. Our chocolate pearls are of the highest quality— incomparable Tahitian pearls, coaxed to cocoa through a complex proprietary process. Warm and sophisticated, Maui Divers Jewelry’s Chocolate Tahitian Pearls are the newest tropical pearl sensation."

I know that natural colored chocolate cultured pearls are expensive & hard to match on a strand (but isn't that the beauty of getting a natural pearl strand in the first place??). Others would rather go with the treated counterpart.

Most women who can spend that kind of money prefer the uniformity and prestige of a matched strand. ;)

Used to be if a woman was fortunate she received once in her lifetime a beautiful genuine cultured pearl strand, probably purchased and presented by a male.

These days, because some pearls are more affordable, women are able to build a wardrobe of pearls, with a mix of natural color and color treated, and become comfortable with purchasing pearls for themselves, married or single!

Some women are curious to learn more about the many kinds of beautiful pearls. One becomes more comfortable (as the budget allows) to purchase
an item more rare, gorgeous, unusual!

Speaking for myself, the price of the color treated Tahitians is totally out of my budget, but I can enjoy a similar size brown dyed cfwp strand that I strung up myself for less than $100.

Ranui, sounds like you are not in favor of the color treated Tahitians at all! Have you seen any of them in person?

Last edited:
I am not a fan of the treated chocolate Tahitians at all. Tahitian pearls come in so many naturally beautiful colors, treating them and changing the color goes against everything I love about them. I think it's a marketing fad, and wonder if the pearls will hold any value down the line. I also dislike that most people I talk to have no idea that they are treated, including people that have looked at them and even some that have bought them. Natural chocolate or copper pearls are awesome and complicated in color, which does make them hard to match. Here are two Kamoka 11mms that I consider a pair, all though they don't really match in color. One is chocolate cherry, and the other mocha chocolate!!!

Attachments

• DSC05132.jpg
    DSC05132.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 54
I agree about the choc treatment...and the choc pearls on that website could be freshwaters for all the specialness they show - and even with freshwaters I would want a bit of colour variation. When a strand is perfect perfect is size, shape, colour match etc you might as well be wearing shell pearls

I think to each their own. I just got a chocolate baroque Tahitian strand from the pearl outlet, and they are fabulous. Yes, they are treated, but I don't care. I like the glorious color on these bad boys. I have plenty of natural Tahitian strands- kamokas, teal, pastels, greens, etc., but I wanted something different and the copper glow on these is fabulous. There is subtle shading on each so they don't look all uniform to me.

On the natural chocolate Tahitian pearls- frankly they don't look all that chocolate to me. some are quite gray. The overtone may be chocolate, but the pearl as a whole is not. So I for one, am glad there are different options out there.

BTW, here is a pic:

choc007.jpg

Last edited:
I don't really care about Maui Divers' Pick A Pearl sale method. They say "Alooooooha" (really emphasizing the 2nd syllable) after someone picked an oyster and found a "previously inserted" pearl. I can remember that back to the 80's. To some people that bought them, it is precious memory of their trips.

Lionlaw, the color fits you well. Wear them in good health. I don't think a strand of chocolate looks good on me. They are just too dark all together for me, even with different subtle overtones on each pearl. But I prefer natural color Tahitians or have chocolate pearl interspersed in a multicolor strand. Still, not my favorite color.

Some of the drop pearls that I bought from Jeremy in September are bronzy, cocoa-looking. And a chocolate pearl from TPM bracelet.

There is something for everyone. :)

Attachments

• IMG_3826.jpg
    IMG_3826.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_3939.jpg
    IMG_3939.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:
Agree 100% with waimeamomi and pearlescence. :) Dyed uniformity actually looks fake to my eyes. (And now that I think about it, as a corollary: I was looking at fake Tahitians in a store a few months ago and they in turn looked an awful lot like uniformly-dyed "real" ones.)

And that pick-a-pearl is too "snake-oilish" for me.

I used to think the whole chocolate thing was a passing fad but I think its here to stay, I wish I had more in stock!

True pearl connoisseurs might turn up their nose at treated Tahitians but the average person doesn't care at all. I've had many questions about treatments on these pearls and of course I always say they are treated, not once has that lost the sale.

For the record I'm not really a fan of the color especially considered the natural color options but there is a market for them.

I guess I just think that if they're going to be dyed, there's no point in spending the money on Tahitians. But then I'm also just not a fan of any dyed pearls, and don't carry them, but I am in agreement that to each what makes them happy, and I stand by that 100%!!

I had a look at the website you mentioned Rainui..thought the pearls were okay until I saw this http://www.mauidivers.com/Experience-Pick-A-Pearl/
Is this where we sellers are falling down, not offering this flummery?

Flummery yes,
falling down (optional) for sellers.

It is up to us to educate the public about the certain types of pearls out there. Tahiti Pearl Market has always been a reference name for Tahitian Pearls and when we explain some of our knowledge to the clients we deal with, they are extremely pleased by our honesty.

Try it for yourself.

I get the results of this nonsense shown to me every so often and my heart sinks - do I tell the truth or bend it and destroy what may be a cherished present or souvenir?
What do others do when faced with these bits of tat or shell pearls or Majorcans?

I get the results of this nonsense shown to me every so often and my heart sinks - do I tell the truth or bend it and destroy what may be a cherished present or souvenir?
What do others do when faced with these bits of tat or shell pearls or Majorcans?

I usually just start by affirming that the "objet" in question is beautiful and must have a lot of meaning for them. If they persist in the notion of sky high value or using the word "natural" I gently set them straight. Mostly I've noticed people want to have their sense of attachment affirmed. When they learn the costs of getting an appraisal often that takes the spark out of their eyes. I digress, but you know what I mean...yes?

Heidi, I appreciate your approach, and tact.

Last week a woman at the art show was waxing poetic about her Majorcans, insisting that they weren't "real" fakes. She sure wasn't happy with me when I described the process of dipping glass beads into glue and fish scales.

I'll take a more delicate approach next time.

.julie.

Well, I think my friend is mad at me because I saw a nice triple strand of white pearls with a diamond clasp on her at her wedding. I asked about her clasp and she said she bought it in Phillippines as they supplied South Seas to Mikimoto. I didn't get a close look, but her strand would be 8-8.5mm tops. Those are no South Seas. The luster looked good enough to be Akoyas, but they could well be freshwater. Again, very nice pearls and the design of the clasp was outstanding. I absolutely loved it. I am just not sure people want to know sometimes.

"Oyster pearl's peculiarity stems from its certain blemish just like birthmark or fingerprint. no two oyster pearls are alike. " works too

Back