Tennessee River Pearl Brooch

juliebeth

I assume you-all have seen this? if anyone's still wondering what to get me for christmas, well, here's an idea...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/18kt-Gold-D...782701?pt=US_Fine_Jewelry&hash=item51b5f0696d

$T2eC16NHJHYFFkZRJYVUBR8pSnPur!~~60_57.jpg
$(KGrHqJHJEUFHWUbHBRHBR8pSn6W0w~~60_57.jpg

a bit about it:

18kt Gold Diamond and Pearl Pin Vintage Tennessee River Pearls 18 GRAMS Beautiful and stunning. The pin was recently appraised for $6,850. Appraisal reads:

One ladys 18kt gold diamond and pearl pin pendant. The handmade estate style flower motif pin consists of 20 gem quality baroque shape Tennessee River pearls measuring between 10 and 15 mm set in a flower bloom. There are 20 matching .02ct each very fine quality round full cut diamonds prong set in white gold and placed between pearls. The pearls and diamonds are connected in the back by yellow gold framework having a pin finding and seperate pendant loop. The white gold stem of the flower is approximately 30mm long and contains 11 pave set round brilliant diamonds having a VS clarity H color and approximate weight total weight of .55ct. THe stem has a single tooth shaped river pearl at the bottom. The pin has a weight of 18.13 grams and the flower top measures 44mm across.

$T2eC16dHJGQFFhwktGBjBR8pSpz3y!~~60_57.jpg
$(KGrHqVHJB8FHYcwGcCtBR8pSnMM,w~~60_57.jpg
$(KGrHqFHJEgFHVP8,Lr0BR8pSqeT+Q~~60_57.jpg

Oh what a beautiful brooch! Imagine waking up to find that in your stocking!

i woudln't mind, that's for sure!

hey also so as not to take up andrea's awesome thread - check this out, it's a lot more affordable - does that look like one of those mississippi river pearls in this gorgeous little pin?

View attachment 26626

Antique Sterling Silver Arts and Crafts Pin Brooch with Pearl Signed with double C'shttp://www.ebay.com/itm/Antique-Sterling-Silver-Arts-and-Crafts-Pin-Brooch-with-Pearl-Signed-CC-/261288607931?pt=Fashion_Jewelry&hash=item3cd603c0bb

I think the jury is still out on whether or not these types of pearls are Mississippi river pearls or not, but this pin is ADORABLE!

they look like pearl slugs:

pearl-slugs-mississippi-river-muscatine-iowa.jpg

i wish there were a better photo, but kari's web site has a good blurb on them here . i've found in my insomnia quite a few of these sterling pierced and vaguely chased arts and craft river pearl pieces - seems someone was out there manufacturing/creating these things left and right around the turn of the century. if the slugs were really that common, perhaps this was an easy way for fisherman to get rid of their pocketsful of duds to leave room for the good pearls...?

Back