Tears of Mermaids Imminent

jshepherd

Bo Torrey from Pearl World Journal just send this over to me today!

Word is out that the long-awaited book by the peripatetic journalist-turned-pearl-sojourner, Stephen Bloom, is ready to
at last be published on November 24th. One may pre-order it at Amazon.com under the category of books. Here are some
of the details:

Tears of Mermaids: The Secret Story of Pearls (Hardcover)
by Stephen G. Bloom (Author)
List Price: $27.99
Price: $18.47
This title will be released on November 24, 2009.

Somehow, I got a peek at some of the galleys and the book exceeds all expectations both in scope and detail.

Want to know more about some of the moguls in the business and how they got there? Read chapters dealing with the empires of Nick Paspaley, Robert Wan, Jacques Branellec, Jeremy Shepherd, and others. It?s a well-measured stroll through the highways and byways of pearldom that will keep you entranced from start to finish. And worth every penny of eighteen and a half dollars, as you don?t have to put up with insufferably interminable plane rides, strange customs, locales and foodstuffs... all from the comfort of your easy chair with a cold drink
in your paw. And you?ll meet a panoply of major and minor characters that deserve to be in any Indy Jones adventure you?d ever care to read.

Hats off to Stephen Bloom. Tears was years and thousands of miles in the making, a literary Cecil B. DeMille epic.

Attachments

• Tears_of_Mermaids_cover[1].jpg
    Tears_of_Mermaids_cover[1].jpg
    10.6 KB · Views: 34
Bo Torrey from Pearl World Journal just send this over to me today!

Word is out that the long-awaited book by the peripatetic journalist-turned-pearl-sojourner, Stephen Bloom, is ready to
at last be published on November 24th. One may pre-order it at Amazon.com under the category of books. Here are some
of the details:

Tears of Mermaids: The Secret Story of Pearls (Hardcover)
by Stephen G. Bloom (Author)
List Price: $27.99
Price: $18.47
This title will be released on November 24, 2009.

Somehow, I got a peek at some of the galleys and the book exceeds all expectations both in scope and detail.

Want to know more about some of the moguls in the business and how they got there? Read chapters dealing with the empires of Nick Paspaley, Robert Wan, Jacques Branellec, Jeremy Shepherd, and others. It?s a well-measured stroll through the highways and byways of pearldom that will keep you entranced from start to finish. And worth every penny of eighteen and a half dollars, as you don?t have to put up with insufferably interminable plane rides, strange customs, locales and foodstuffs... all from the comfort of your easy chair with a cold drink
in your paw. And you?ll meet a panoply of major and minor characters that deserve to be in any Indy Jones adventure you?d ever care to read.

Hats off to Stephen Bloom. Tears was years and thousands of miles in the making, a literary Cecil B. DeMille epic.
Whats it feel like to be a mogul Jeremy. Sort of all mogully?:D

I was the eternal optimist who discovered the book at Amazon and advised Bo. Definitely a long time to wait! (I wonder what the pearl world is going to look like by then?)

I wonder if he mentions his meeting with the infamous pearl scholar, Zeide G. Erskine, and his assessment of her extraordinary pearl collection. I hope it is in there.

Slraep

Mo-cool Mo-gul?

I wonder if he mentions his meeting with the infamous pearl scholar, Zeide G. Erskine, and his assessment of her extraordinary pearl collection. I hope it is in there.
Or any tidbit about Lop Noor, for that matter.

… the infamous pearl scholar, Zeide G. Erskine…
In the process of eliminating hundreds of ZE posts Caitlin inevitably threw out a few babies with the bathwater. I'm taking this opportunity to recall one of my favorites, in the context of one of my earliest posts regarding acquisitions of rare natural poe pipi pieces following our first visit to the Cook Islands.

It turns out that the piece is a one-off handmade knock-off of the original setting for La Peregrina.

This was ZE's eliminated post, verbatim (who could forget!):

Wow, that's the biggest pipi I've ever seen (and that's saying something)!

Last edited:
It turns out that the piece is a one-off handmade knock-off of the original setting for La Peregrina.

This was ZE's eliminated post, verbatim (who could forget!): Wow, that's the biggest pipi I've ever seen (and that's saying something)!

Heheheheheheh. That's good!!

Remember this gem, Steve? It is also gone from the forum but I kept a copy. I'm sure the "Lake Manitou pearl" was a first and only for Bloom.

"I second that. Give me a baroque with orient anytime and keep the rounds for formal events or sell them to the financially suicidal. I have some lovely bunny rabbit-looking one from Lake Manitou that I wouldn't trade for a strand of 15mm "brand name" Tahitians for the life of me. Not to mention that perfection can be had in shell pearls, I don't need overtreated south seas to attain the same look.

Zeide G. Erskine"

Last edited:
Exciting! I heard quite a bit about Bloom after The Oxford Project came out. Congratulations on having your achievements recognized in the book, Jeremy!

Perhaps Bloom's omission of the ZE mess will only slightly mar the comprehensiveness of the book. ;)

Well, it better come out in Kindle 'cuz I just did the impulse purchase thing. Should be under $10 in Kindle. I wonder if Straack is in Kindle.

I think I heard about the book from a post by Smetzler, but I hope Bo gives it a big review!

Meanwhile, If you haven't yet read Steve B's Postvale, a very good book that makes the quarrel between a Kosher meat factory outside of town and the townies, who want to annex and tax it, exciting and page turning! Who would'av thought? I liked his personal narrative style, which he honed to perfection in Postvale. I expect he will use it in Tears. From Bo's description of the travails of traveling to so many far places, I am sure it is woven into the narrative. One of his techniques that make it work.

PS
Many of fan-t-zee's posts are stored in the Mod Room on the forum- back in the warehouse, so to speak. Moderaters can get in to read them anytime. Maybe your favorite quote is in there-- I remember her world's biggest Poe Pipi too.

Well, it better come out in Kindle 'cuz I just did the impulse purchase thing. Should be under $10 in Kindle. I wonder if Straack is in Kindle.

KP, there is a button on the Amazon page (just under where the book image is) where you can "tell the publisher" that there is demand for a Kindle edition. I don't know how receptive the publishers generally are to the requests, but I went ahead and did it - maybe with enough P-G demand, they will make it available.

P.S. DH loves his Kindle...

KP, there is a button on the Amazon page (just under where the book image is) where you can "tell the publisher" that there is demand for a Kindle edition. P.S. DH loves his Kindle...

I did that before I purchased the Kindle. I have never known anyone besides my daughter who actually craves something to read. I wake up in the middle of the night and the craving for reading material is an actual hunger. I'm just so tired of reading the same thing over and over. Maybe this travelling library will do it for me. If I like it, my daughter is getting one. Thanks for the thumbs up!

Some of us simply wish the Kindle was available here....
Is it as far ahead better than other e-readers as I have heard?
no buttons on Amazon here for give us Kindles...

It is pretty impressive, Wendy. I have some e-books on my iPhone, but the screen is kind of small and I fid it pretty dissatisfying. When we took our trip 2 weeks ago, I packed a half dozen paperbacks and barely made the weight limits for my suitcase, whereas DK had the Kindle in his carry-on with several dozen titles loaded up on it. The screen is a good size and the pages load quickly and don't interrupt the flow of reading. However, there are persistent rumors that Apple may be coming out with a tablet sized iPod touch, and I am holding off on a Kindle purchase of my own in the hopes that the rumor might be true. I would prefer to read e-books on that since it would also have my music, movies and apps.

I am sorry you can't get one over there. I don't understand why Amazon doesn't offer them internationally :(

Back