Tahitians go Victorian...

G

GemGeek

Someone reminded me that I need wear my own jewelry. The good things never make it to the website because people buy them off my body! :confused:

So I took my favorites from the Tahitian pearls I bought from John Tu and whipped up a set to wear to Tucson. I hope you like seeing them...

tahitian set.jpg
tahitian dangles.jpg
tahitian pendant.jpg
tahitian earring.jpg

Cheers, ;)
Blaire

Hi Blaire,

Can't wait to see these in person! Lovely! Some jewelry you just have to say "It's NOT for sale!"

Pattye
so many pearls, so little time

Thanks! It's hard not to make something nice when the materials are good. ;)

I love it! I like the use of brass with Tahitians (I would have never thought of that. Is the centerpiece soldered shut or did you chain maille the jumprings on? But most of all I like the way the caps float about the pearl. I hate bead caps in most instances. They remind me of little dunce caps. But I like that floating look. Did you put rondelles under there to perk them up?

I love it! I like the use of brass with Tahitians (I would have never thought of that. Is the centerpiece soldered shut or did you chain maille the jumprings on? But most of all I like the way the caps float about the pearl. I hate bead caps in most instances. They remind me of little dunce caps. But I like that floating look. Did you put rondelles under there to perk them up?

Yes, I put little beads under the caps so they would "float". The caps have a subtle leaf pattern on them that I especially like. I picked out pearl strands that had some bronze in the banding to be sure they would go with the antique brass. ;)

I could solder the rings, but I find that they stay put. I'll have to experiment and see what happens to the finish when they're soldered. (In my copious amounts of spare time) :eek:

Hi Knotty,
what does it mean "chaine maille" the jump rings?
Is it just putting together the rings thightly?:confused:

They wonderful! I have to learn how to bead so that after many years of practice I can make beautiful things. These and the Rosary that was posted earlier really are inspiring. Thanks for posting the pictures.
John

They wonderful! I have to learn how to bead so that after many years of practice I can make beautiful things. These and the Rosary that was posted earlier really are inspiring. Thanks for posting the pictures.
John

Thanks John. This kind of thing, where you are basically assembling components, is the easiest kind of beading to learn. It takes trial and error to find the right combination of colors and metal, but it's a pleasurable chore. ;)

The wire wrapping wasn't my best because I was in a big hurry, but fortunately, people don't usually inspect things closely while you are wearing them. :D

I suspect it wouldn't take you long to master the technique and there are sure to be classes in your area. If not, there are lots of online tutorials and good places to purchase supplies.

I am definitely going to look into beading. Several years ago, I took a class and did some fun bead earrings (not knowing anything about pearls at the time). I'm feeling inspired to learn now, though!

GemGeek -
Thank you so much for posting the picture of your beautiful jewelry suite. I'd never seen Tahitians in exactly that aqua-rose shade before, and you inspired me to seek out one of my own, which I finally found yesterday (just a simple pendant). Thanks for the inspiration - and I hope to acquire your artistic eye (and wire wrapping skills) some day.

GemGeek -
Thank you so much for posting the picture of your beautiful jewelry suite. I'd never seen Tahitians in exactly that aqua-rose shade before, and you inspired me to seek out one of my own, which I finally found yesterday (just a simple pendant). Thanks for the inspiration - and I hope to acquire your artistic eye (and wire wrapping skills) some day.

Congratulations on your new pendant! ;)

I used my "paper towel" technique to bring out the color in the photos and it really works. I hope you'll post photos of your new pendant on the "Show us your pearls" forum. And thanks for the compliment. That will inspire me to make more jewelry! :cool:

Hi Knotty,
what does it mean "chaine maille" the jump rings?
Is it just putting together the rings thightly?:confused:

Sorry Jerin. I'm slow on the uptake, I guess. Yes, chain maille joins rings without soldering. I have a good tutorial if you are interested.

Here's a link to Urban Maille's tutorial on closing rings. http://urbanmaille.com/articles.asp?id=122 Aislyn is to chain maille what we are to pearls. The only time I use a soldered ring is if the ring will be the catch point for a clasp. Any other time, I always use her 20 ga. 4MM rings. They are very strong and hold well. I also frequently use her method of attaching two rings, side by side, for a very secure cold connection. Here's something I made. http://pearl-guide.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1721 The bead is wire wrapped (don't look to close) and then they are connected with two chain mailled jump rings. It makes a piece a bit more flexible and it doesn't kink up.

Last edited:
Very nice pendant and earrings!

Pernula

Thanks Pernula. ;) I had them "in my head" for a few months before I finally got around to making them. I'm glad they look good with the brass. It's nice that we can bounce ideas off each other!:cool:

Back