Tahitian luster

drvery

Hi all,
I've just joined today. I find great information about pearls on the site and thank you all for your sound advices (indirectly to me), insights and sharing your pearls and love for pearls.

I am interested in owning a Tahitian necklace. I've done a lot of research regarding Tahitian luster. I've seen a lot of photos where the light hitting the tahitian pearl turns bright white color on the pearl. However, in reality is that possible? I am attached below 2 example of what I am talking about. Does photo 2 kind of capture the most luster Tahitian pearls can have? I'd love to hear your opinions.

Photo 1: (Cite: Internet - Pearl luster where the light turns top part of the dark pearl brightly white
Photo 2: A photo I received from a vendor

Tahitian pearl overtones2.jpgUntitled.jpg

The surface of the pearl is acting as a mirror and reflecting the light from its source back into the camera. That's what the white patch is.

and thats also what the luster does a high luster will be reflected by the reflection of the light so when you look for a pearl ( one ) of the methods is to see how sharp the reflection part is and the brighter and sharp the higher the luster in most cases

this is actually how european jewelry schools ( at least the four i did ) learn you how to look at pearls for me color and overtone is just as important

I like to photograph my pearls to show others, and the better the luster, the more difficult it is to get a good picture that shows the color of the pearl itself. If you aren't careful all you will see is reflected light, or a bright white spot. The pearl itself is not that color at all.

While great luster makes it difficult to photograph, it makes for a most beautiful pearl. In real life the light is always changing and your mind corrects for that bright white spot so that you don't notice it.

Thank you very much for your replies. At this point, I also think about how long will the luster last in a Tahitian pearl. Look at cars, when they are brand new, the paint is very lustrous, reflective, but after several years of being used, the paint starts to become dull. I hope the same faith will not happen to a 'daily-wear well- cared-for strand of pearls. What do you think?

Fortunately, nacre on pearls is not at all like paint on cars. With proper care pearls will remain lustrous for many generations. Many examples of vintage pearls on the forum, and photos of historical and famous pearls. The exception would be low quality Akoya pearls with thin nacre.

Back