Super Typhoon Rammasun Brought Unprecedented Calamities to South China

Bigwellpearls

It attacked Xuwen from 2:30 p.m. July 18 to July 19th 6:00 a.m. Persistent heavy rain and so super typhoon had been lasting for over 15 hours.
The death toll from it has increased to 33.

Rammasun, the strongest typhoon to hit south China in four decades, packed gales, downpours and floods to a number of southern provinces, affecting more than 8 million people in Hainan, Guangdong, Yunnan provinces and Guangxi Zhuang Autonomous Region.

Thirteen deaths have been reported in south China's Hainan, nine in Guangxi and 11 in neighboring Yunnan, according to central and local government figures.
A total of 608,000 people have been resettled and over 240,000 are in urgent need of basic necessities.

In Hainan, where Rammasun made landfall Friday afternoon, more than 3.25 million people in 216 townships have been affected. The province has recorded direct economic losses of over 10.8 billion yuan (1.7 billion U. S. dollars), according to the provincial disaster relief department.

The China Southern Power Grid has organized 25 emergency repair teams and allocated power supply equipment including telegraph poles, wires and transformers to resume supply in places such as hospitals and water plants.

The aquaculture industry in the region is seriously damaged. Many fishermen are busy repairing their fishing boats.

Despite no deaths so far, Guangdong Province has suffered worst economically, with losses amounting to more than 12.7 billion yuan.

In Xuwen County, the southernmost tip of the Chinese mainland where the typhoon made a second landfall on Friday night, 7,800 homes toppled and 46,000 others were badly damaged. Xuwen has suffered economically, with losses amounting to more than 8.7 billion yuan (US$1.5 billion)

Li Fei, 84, was persuaded to get out of his 40-year-old hut and take temporary lodging at a local temple on Thursday. "I was reluctant to leave, but the officials insisted I should go," said Li. "Had I not followed their advice, I'd have died."

The local civil affairs bureau said 100,000 residents were resettled on the eve of the typhoon's landfall to prevent fatalities.
Li is still living at the temple and his relatives who live in the same neighborhood provide him with three meals a day.
He has received 500 yuan of allowance from the local government to meet his basic needs, but to rebuild his home will cost at least 30,000 yuan. "I don't know where to get the money."

Aquaculture, Agriculture and husbandry have been devastated. Fourteen hundred thousand hectares of bananas were destroyed, 200,000 hectares of pineapple, 100,000 sugarcane, 50,000 hectares of papaya and 100,000 longan, jackfruit, huangpi, guava and huolong fruit were severely damaged.

Akoya pearl farmers in Xuwen had to harvest their Akoya pearls within endangered oysters ahead of 40 days. All Akoya oysters in which nucleus were implanted last August would be harvested as soon as Rammasun Typhoon has gone away.

Mr. Kanpei Lin, former principal of Sitang Primary School, a leading Akoya pearl pioneer farmer from Sitang Village, adjacent to North Ferry Train Dock had to harvest his Akoya pearls yesterday. His wife was too anxious to wait for a buyer because of mobile phone telecommunications could not have worked and power off for four days in rural areas. She got shock coma without eating anything all day and was sent to hospital…

CIMG4991.jpgHarvesting Akoya Pearls in Sitang Village .jpgAkoya Pearls in Sitang Village .jpg

Heartbreaking news. The damage is almost unbelievable. I am so sorry to hear this news.

We will see more and more damage from extreme weather in the coming years unfortunately.
And this year's hurricane/typhoon season has just begun...

This is so sad - I hope and pray recovery goes quickly and that the rest of the season is mild.

I am so sorry about your news, yet grateful that you posted such a timely and well written piece about the tragic effects of the weather in your area. I hope all survive intact, without ruination.

Back