Stainless Steel Wire to string pearls?

Elisha

Hi, I was looking at some Tahitian strands ( reliable vendor) and I was shown a strand of Tahitians which were strung with stainless steel wire. Between each pearl was a small round black disc (guess to function as knots). It looks like the wire is part of an "invisible"/interchangeable clasp drilled into the pearls located at the two ends of the strand. I searched the internet and the clasp looks something like clasp.jpg

I was told that the pearls do not ever need to be re-strung. It is my first time seeing pearls strung this way and felt rather apprehensive about getting pearls strung up this way. (Fortunately for me, that strand did not suit my skin tones) I just wanted an opinion from those of you who have encountered or use such a system before about the pros and cons of this.
Thank you!

Are you referring to the CliClasp system? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tis3tD9YLUU

If so that is a reliable clasp.

As to wire for pearls, I have used nylon coated beading wire instead of thread, with either 2mm gold ball beads or small, round semi-precious stone beads betwen the pearls to provide spacing and flexibility, but all of these materials are harder than nacre and can eventually erode the pearl's drill hole (wire) or scratch the nacre (metal/stones), so I only use it for inexpensive pearls that I don't wear very often.

Elisha,

Thanks for sharing your observations. I wonder why they used the wire and spacers, as pearls and gems can be knotted with the invisible clasp systems. I have seen a number of temporary strands of gems and pearls with the little bumpers or spacers, a logical use, and found the spacers sold in bead shops.

The range in quality of the nylon coated beading thread used, from heavy, coarse, 7 strand which is stiff, to the flexible 49 strand, would make a big difference in eventual wearing down of the pearl, I would think. Am not recalling specific examples being shown on P-G of pearls damaged from being strung on wire, can anyone else?

Generally that is true about flexibility increasing with numbers of ply, but there is one 7 ply beading wire that is very soft and flexible, and fine enough to pass through pearl drill holes without having to widen the hole:
Soft Touch Very Fine by Softflex.

I don't recall seeing any photos on P-G showing damage from beading wire. I ran a search but too many discussion threads came up with the key words....

Soft Touch Very Fine wire 7 ply certainly could work, but I wouldn't choose it for any but the smallest pearls because of the lower break strength. Most plied wires, fine and medium, with work with pearls pretty well. If mixing pearls and gemstones, the hole size in the gems often dictates what size wire will fit (not always my first choice.) That reminds me~my tiny rough diamond beads have the tiniest holes ever~haven't figured a way to use them yet!

That should be enough, then!

If you wish you could intersperse the diamonds with other little beads-- tourmalines, maybe?

I did a temporary string of Tahitians with 49strand wire and those little black spacers to see how I liked the look of the arrangement and clasp. Those little spacers ended up looking just like knots and the whole thing is quite flexible..those certainly not quite like string. This reminds me..I have to actually restring that necklace..ended up leaving it that way. oops

I suppose the jeweller might have done it that way as he doesn't know how to knot pearls. lol

That's a really pretty clasp by the way !

Hi everyone, thanks for you responses.
Pearl Dreams, it looks exactly like the CliClasp system. But in the CliClasp clip, the pearls looks like they are strung on silk or an equivalent.
The strand I saw was what I felt a good quality dark green round ( at most off round) Tahitian strand. Beautiful luster with only some surface marks. And the vendor is a regional pearl distributor which has been in the business for years. Which is why I am puzzled why a good strand is strung in this non-traditional manner. Maybe it is to target non-pearl aficiandos who want a nice strand of pearls???

Back