SSP offered by Costco

Lili4ka

Hello forum experts,

Do you have any experience with the SSP that are sold in Costco? Could anyone tell something about the peals quality?

I am considering these in order to be part in my custom jewelry project. Not just to wear the studs, but to disassemble them, so the gold setting will be wasted.

The price that Costco offers is very attractive in comparison to the esteemed pearl sellers for loose pearls. I understand that I can return the studs if the quality is no good. But I still would like to find out if anyone has an opinion to share.

Thank you all!

Attachments

• costco.jpg
    costco.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 48
Gosh, Zowie, have you contacted directly any of the vendors who sell here about a pair of loose pearls? It's always a big risk removing the backs from valuable pearls. Most will have pearls not listed on their websites and will be able to drill to your specs.

Please tell us more about your custom jewelry project ~ sounds very exciting! How much time do you have? Others will surely chime in with ideas for you!

Just yesterday was at Costco and spotted a pretty strand of SS, but couldn't find anyone to open the case for a closer look and check price.

Last edited:
It seems a shame to pay for gold that you don't need or want, because even than tiny amount of gold is part of the price.

I have some Akoya studs purchased from Costco several years ago. They are fine and I wear them frequently, but I have seen better quality Akoya studs at higher prices.

I vaguely recall Jeremy once using a phrase like "commercial grade"(?) to describe pearls sold at mass retailers. Hopefully he can chime in on this.

Gosh, Zowie, have you contacted directly any of the vendors who sell here about a pair of loose pearls? It's always a big risk removing the backs from valuable pearls. Most will have pearls not listed on their websites and will be able to drill to your specs.

Please tell us more about your custom jewelry project ~ sounds very exciting! How much time do you have? Others will surely chime in with ideas for you!

Just yesterday was at Costco and spotted a pretty strand of SS, but couldn't find anyone to open the case for a closer look and check price.

Thanks Patty! Yes I have reviewed several websites and sellers who I know. Their prices are still high, especially given that I am in Canada and the exchange rate is no good. Buying from Canada looks better.

If it is risky to get the backs out of the pearl, then it is a good point, thanks again!

@ ennui, exactly, even with the gold piece the Costco price is better than that on loose pearls...

Have you checked with Margaret at SimplyAdorned4U on Etsy; she's in Canada and a member here. Sorry if I'm not recalling others ~

I've removed pearls maybe 6 or 7 times, ones I didn't care about saving, from their karat gold backings. Boil them in water in a microwave, repeated times until the epoxy/super glue loosens. Or soak them in ATTACK, a solvent, until the glue releases. Freshly glued earrings will be extremely secure! There's always a risk of breaking the post off in the drill hole, even twisting gently. Damaging the luster would be awful.
I tend to be conservative with high value pearls. Looking forward to others success stories! I can imagine how much you want the perfect pearls!

I have a pair of Akoya earrings inherited from my mother, which had the old fashioned screw-back setting. I wouldn't think of trying to change that myself - but my local jeweler did a great job of replacing them with backs for pierced ears.

I've removed pearls maybe 6 or 7 times, ones I didn't care about saving, from their karat gold backings. Boil them in water in a microwave, repeated times until the epoxy/super glue loosens. Or soak them in ATTACK, a solvent, until the glue releases.

I have a single GSS pearl stud (lost the mate) that I cannot release from the post. It is on to stay! Something for Zowie to consider.

I have a single GSS pearl stud (lost the mate) that I cannot release from the post. It is on to stay! Something for Zowie to consider.

Ennui,

Oh my! That's sad, but perhaps you could easily make a mismatched set! Just find a dark pearl, like Tahitian, in approximately the same size and wear them together!

It takes me 3-4 days minimum to get the backings loose.

Ennui,

Oh my! That's sad, but perhaps you could easily make a mismatched set! Just find a dark pearl, like Tahitian, in approximately the same size and wear them together!

I've been thinking about a mismatched set -- pairing with a white pearl doesn't look right, so it would have to be a Tahitian. My current T studs are too small, though.

I've also toyed with the idea of sending it to PP to see if they could match it; a cousin, more or less.

Ooooh! Three or four days?! Like repeatedly in the microwave over the course of those days? :eek: No wonder I couldn't budge the earring back in one I tried to get loose. I put it in boiling water for just a few short minutes. It kind of freaked me out, so I stopped the process, LOL! Perhaps I'll try again.

Yep! Zap it a couple of times a day and let it sit as the water cools between times. Test, GENTLY twist, using pliers close to the cup. You don't want to force it at all. If the cup is large it will probably take longer to loosen.
Thanks, Pattye. I know you've posted this in another thread somewhere (because I read that thread with beady-eyed interest), and I'm wondering how long you let the pearl "cook" in the microwave each time? I don't recall that part at the moment, nor which thread it was in.

I confess that boiling a pearl, or soaking it in acetone, etc., just seems wrong! ;) It kind of creeps me out, heehee! But I am willing to give it a "go", creeped-out or not! :p

Sorry, CricketBug, forgot that part, usually use about 3/4 cup water, and set the amount of time to bring the water to a full boil, then let it cool down slowly, once it is just cool enough to handle, you can test the post to see if it's loosened at all. Good Luck and let us know if you have success!

Sorry, CricketBug, forgot that part, usually use about 3/4 cup water, and set the amount of time to bring the water to a full boil, then let it cool down slowly, once it is just cool enough to handle, you can test the post to see if it's loosened at all. Good Luck and let us know if you have success!
Thanks so much, Pattye. I will certainly report back with success or lack thereof. :cool:

I use a small pan, a small fine strainer and put the pearl into the strainer.. then into the water in the pan. Heat till starting to boil. Bring the strainer out and quickly grab the pearl with a tea towel and use fine nose pliers to gently pull and wiggle the finding. You need to be fast and be careful as it's hot. Do not twist hard.

Then repeat the boiling water... by adding cool water , then the pearl in the strainer, when it boils... pull it out and work fast. Repeat if necessary. You can tell when the seal is broken as you will see a tiny bubble escaping from the drill hole. You can use Attack if it's stubborn but then go back to cool water and boil. This has always worked... I read it here in PGF .. a pearl farmer said this is how he removes the back.

I use a small pan, a small fine strainer and put the pearl into the strainer.. then into the water in the pan. Heat till starting to boil. Bring the strainer out and quickly grab the pearl with a tea towel and use fine nose pliers to gently pull and wiggle the finding. You need to be fast and be careful as it's hot. Do not twist hard.

Then repeat the boiling water... by adding cool water , then the pearl in the strainer, when it boils... pull it out and work fast. Repeat if necessary. You can tell when the seal is broken as you will see a tiny bubble escaping from the drill hole. You can use Attack if it's stubborn but then go back to cool water and boil. This has always worked... I read it here in PGF .. a pearl farmer said this is how he removes the back.

This reminds me of the fable about boiling a frog. Start with cool water.

I may try this on my orphan earring, because I could use the pearl in a cage pendant. (I did try the microwave method without success.)

Thank you for the additional info, Katbran. :) I will see if I can find some Attack online—I haven’t seen it locally.

Attack is sold on Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/Grobet-Attack-Glue-Dissolving-Compound/dp/B00B7LXAYE/ref=sr_1_1?

Note, you need to use it in a well ventilated place. Consider storing it in a shed when not in use. It is volatile and I found that my can evaporated almost entirely over months, even after I screwed the cap tightly after use.

I am ordering another can myself, but this time I plan to improve the seal of the cap with teflon tape (a.k.a. plumber's tape), which is a non-adhesive tape that you place over the threads before screwing the cap on. Buy a roll at any hardware store or even Walmart; it's cheap.

I may also improve the seal of the cap by covering it after each use with a length of Parafilm, a stretchy plastic film used in labs to seal beakers. I buy this on eBay for other uses and already have it on hand.

Attack is sold on Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/Grobet-Attack-Glue-Dissolving-Compound/dp/B00B7LXAYE/ref=sr_1_1?

Note, you need to use it in a well ventilated place. Consider storing it in a shed when not in use. It is volatile and I found that my can evaporated almost entirely over months, even after I screwed the cap tightly after use.

I am ordering another can myself, but this time I plan to improve the seal of the cap with teflon tape (a.k.a. plumber's tape), which is a non-adhesive tape that you place over the threads before screwing the cap on. Buy a roll at any hardware store or even Walmart; it's cheap.

I may also improve the seal of the cap by covering it after each use with a length of Parafilm, a stretchy plastic film used in labs to seal beakers. I buy this on eBay for other uses and already have it on hand.
PDs, I've tried covering attack with similar plastic based products and they all are dissolved (or made gooey). The only thing that works is double sealing in a metal container. I'm sure glass or ceramic would work also. I've also wrapped the can in foil. None of it really works all that well against evaporation.

Back