Southsea Pearl vs Edison Pearls

Jeremy - I think that keeping pearls in a "sealed plastic bag" does not duplicate how pearls might look after a decade of wear. I agree with you that the metallic lustre is naturally occurring. I also agree that freshwater pearls generally get a bad rap on the durability front - I think they are actually much more robust than any Akoya on a like for like basis. My feeling - having worked with "Edison's" since the outset is that there is a longevity issue. My opinion is that sunlight or exposure to general atmospheric conditions leads to a slow but noticeable deterioration. Akoya pearls also seem to change over the longer term. I just feel that this is an issue worthy of discussion. If there is a level of deterioration - if we can determine the cause - we could then advise our customers on the best care to minimise this. As I said earlier on the thread - I will bring samples for anyone to examine to all my September shows in London, Vicenza and Hong Kong.

Jeremy taking it out from a sealed plastic bag is no different from you taking out your pendant from your vault. You say that yours has deteriorated over the years and it has been kept in a vault. Jeremy is saying that his was kept in a drawer in a sealed plastic bag and it looks the same.

Nonetheless, it is an issue worthy of discussion and if I could attend shows, I would. No time. Have asked Cees to get me a pair of SSPs. When it does happen, I will post beside my FWPs that I asked Wendy or PP to source at the show. All very exciting in any case.

So Cees delivered today. I bought this pair. 16 mm. I know these are not AAA, but I think lustre is good. Cees says it has a pink glow. I am asking him to set them as rings, since they have blemishes.

SSP2.jpg

SSP4.jpg

SSP6.jpg

SSP3.jpg

If you have any comments please let me know. New to all this. I am not even sure if this is the lustre I should be looking for in SSP but I think Cees has tried his best to meet my budget and the fact that I wanted good lustre with pink overtone. Very hassle free transaction.

I see comments on other posts that pearls are commercial grade. I am not sure what that means. I hope these are not commercial grade.

Here is the other one. It is a pair. I love Pearl buyers when they go to fairs. I wake up and there is that whatsapp message with lots of wonderful gobstoppers.

SSP7.jpg

Attachments

• SSP2.jpg
    SSP2.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 41
Jeremy taking it out from a sealed plastic bag is no different from you taking out your pendant from your vault. You say that yours has deteriorated over the years and it has been kept in a vault. Jeremy is saying that his was kept in a drawer in a sealed plastic bag and it looks the same.

Nonetheless, it is an issue worthy of discussion and if I could attend shows, I would. No time. Have asked Cees to get me a pair of SSPs. When it does happen, I will post beside my FWPs that I asked Wendy or PP to source at the show. All very exciting in any case.

No, taking it out of a plastic bag is very different from taking out of a vault. Plastic bags are air proof and pearls left over an extended period of time can dry out. This is why we never recommend storing them in plastic bags. Akoya pearls stored in plastic bags for several years would likely wind up damaged.

No, taking it out of a plastic bag is very different from taking out of a vault. Plastic bags are air proof and pearls left over an extended period of time can dry out. This is why we never recommend storing them in plastic bags. Akoya pearls stored in plastic bags for several years would likely wind up damaged.

That's good to know, that in those conditions, the freshwaters survived well. I am still keen on FWPs, as lustre wise, they can be very awesome. I am somewhat apprehensive about my SSP purchase as I am new to SSP - don't know what to look for but this forum has been so useful. I am also only posting pictures here so that 5 years later, when I revisit this page, I can see if my FWPS look the same and what has become of my SSPs. Sort of like a time machine page (that is, if this page is still here....or I am still here, for that matter).

Last edited:
I asked Cees to buy me tsavorites. He is at the fair. So here they are. Planning to use them on the Southsea pearls. I think green with a huge white pink pearl makes it look like it is sitting on a lily pad. Very frog and the prince.
Tsavorites.jpg

On Sunday, Cees will let me have a quote from his jeweller. Tsavorites, diamonds and rose gold. My first SSP ring. If the SSP turns out terrible, I can always buy better quality next year.

Last edited:
OOOOOO, green. Are those drilled as beads, or navettes to set in prongs?

OOOOOO, green. Are those drilled as beads, or navettes to set in prongs?

Tsavorite marquis. No holes. Show you design on Sunday. Cees really helped me today. I asked for lower price and he went round looking for best prices. I felt terrible making him do this for me. He is after all a pearl person (and a very good one too). But he got the gems and colour I wanted (I am fussy about gems. I am a very gems person).

Lovely green color on those tsavorites. I'd love to see your ring design.

I am also getting these from Wendy of Pearlescence. She is in HK right now. These are freshwater. I cannot stay away from them, despite the longevity issue: they are so lustrous.

FWP.jpg

That sounds like a gorgeous ring in the making ... the tsavorites are stunning!

This is how the pearl looks with tsavorites. I am having it set this way, with one halo of diamonds and then another halo of tsavorites. in Rose gold. I think the rose gold will bring out the pink in the pearl.

Southsea pearl ring.jpg

These ones for earrings, maybe. Freshwater Edisons. I got them from Kongspearls a couple of months. I love Kongspearls - Yunlan really is the best for Freshwater. Reasonable pricing and she is patient and honest.

Freshwater pair.jpg

I would always choose the South Sea over the Edison. Easy decision for me.

So, this is my first South Sea Pearl from Cees. I love that Cees would do his best to get quality at a reasonable price. I thought to post it here because I want to compare this ring with my FWP ones later on.
Pearl ring.jpg

Back