Southsea Pearl vs Edison Pearls

Stunning ring. I love the green tsavs, and that gorgeous SS pearl.

Wowza, gorgeous!!! That is stunning. I want to see hand shots, too, please.

that ring is beautiful, congratulations on your first SSP ring! such a classic setting! I also love rose gold on pearls, brings out the pink overtones. well, I am partial to rose gold in general. :)

my current pearl pecking order: south sea > akoya > tahitians > freshwater.

Really lovely pearl !!! He does a great job !! Now did he have it set for you or supply the stones ? Or did you have it done..love the Rose Gold with the Green and the little ball setting...very pretty and nice detail.

Cees bought the tsavorites - he gave me colour options and prices to choose from. Cees also did the setting for me. I supplied the design idea. He watched the job from start to finish.

I have another one in the making. With pink sapphires and diamonds. Will let you see it when it is ready. This second one is even more exciting than the first. Design of second one is good. Cees sends me CAD updates, etc periodically, all via Whatsapp. I like that. Plus pricing was reasonable. Not over the top demanding. Cees really is very reasonable and easy to discuss issues with.

Last edited:
The story of Edison and the light bulb is more complex than that, but he was not the only one involved in the invention.
I think using the inventor's name for pearls makes no sense. :confused:

The owner of Grace pearl told me he chose the name - he said that the pearls were a great invention.... it is a lame name though .....

The owner of Grace pearl told me he chose the name - he said that the pearls were a great invention.... it is a lame name though .....

Ditto my sentiments. But I just want the pearls to last longer in lustre. Big question mark at the moment.

These are hand shots of the ring. I feel the pinkness of it does not quite show on the pictures. Cees is very good.

Pearl ring 1.jpg
Pearl ring 2.jpg

I do not believe there is any question mark. One seller has raised generic doubts about all bead nucleated freshwater pearls because he claims (subjectively) one pearl stuck in a safe for years has changed (colour wasn't it?).
There is no objective evidence - indeed all evidence is to the contrary.
And no, I have no axe to grind against that one seller because he is in the same country as me. Those who know me know I am not that petty.

I do not believe there is any question mark. One seller has raised generic doubts about all bead nucleated freshwater pearls because he claims (subjectively) one pearl stuck in a safe for years has changed (colour wasn't it?).
And no, I have no axe to grind against that one seller because he is in the same country as me. Those who know me know I am not that petty.

I believe there is an issue with colour fading. Here it is, the lilac pearls by Catherine Cardinelli.

These were lilac as you can see in the before pictures, found on Catherine's website.

2540 Jumbo Smooth Ripple Lilac  Freshwater Pearl Necklace - Eileen.jpg

They arrived looking like the picture. This was in 2014. Now 3 years later, this is how they look:

Own picture of lilacs.jpg

I believe the lilac-ness of it has faded and some of the pearls are yellow now and less lustrous. This is within a span of 3 years. I did not treat them badly. I wore them on very few occasions and I kept them in my cupboard, in a box wrapped with tissues. My other pearls have had no problems. I posted these on another thread but took them down because it was not my thread to post my jewellery. I don't understand these rules well, but did not want to intrude on someone else's discussion then. After that, I was too busy to put them here. But here they are now. These are not Edisons. Just freshwater.

Last edited:

Oh dear Pearlescence. It is not "one pearl" - it is a vast quantity. You can choose to believe whatever you like - it makes no odds to me whatever.

I think that all pearls colours can change, just because it doesn't exist any organic colour never changing. Even inorganic colours, like certain natural stones colours can change (azurite, zircon, etc...). At last, aragonite itself of pearls is changing to calcite, and pearls dye (but luckily after us, in usual conditions).

Last edited:
Stunning ring and the pearl looks huge. I'm sure you are thrilled.[/QUOTE said:
Thank you.

Now that I have seen Southsea pearls, I prefer them to FWPs. This is my first foray into Southsea pearls. I own other gems but have never been very into pearls. This Southsea one has really made me love pearls and appreciate them. I can understand now why people prefer Southsea. It has this velvety moon-like thing about it. I was wearing it last night and in the dimness of the light, it just looked so soft and romantic. Like a huge moon on a lily pad.

The FWPs are also lovely if you can get the opalescent ones. But you have to really really get the correct seller for this.

However, now that I have this Southsea one, only the very best opalescent FWPs will do. And even then, there will be that caveat hanging over the FWP, which are not cheap by the way. I would rather pay for quality over quantity.

Back