Sorting/blending pearls for long convertible rope (mini version of Purrhana's)

I like the thread colours with your lavender pearls, I don't see a lot of them on sale anymore?

I like the thread colours with your lavender pearls, I don't see a lot of them on sale anymore?

Yes, there are less of the smaller oval, potato, baroque tissue nucleated freshwater pearls being produced these days. The Chinese farmers can get more money for the bead nucleated pearls and it takes less time to grow, so that is their focus.

Hi Ladies - thank you for the various lengthening recommendations! I'm aware knotting & bumper beads will add some length. But I needed 6-9" to make a difference, so got lazy (haha yes I'm pretty lazy and usually go easiest route with my projects) and just stringed them straight! :p

enbcfsobe - the pearls and string color look wonderful, can't wait to see your finished product! And that 1st pearl on the right strand is especially bright, very pretty! White Knight's tassel is 3 inches, while the leading ladies are 4.4 inches. I have included listings of both tassels here for you:
https://www.etsy.com/listing/204798...nches) Silver Tassel , G2859&ref=sr_gallery_1
https://www.etsy.com/listing/204677...ck 113 mm - 4.4 inches G2828&ref=sr_gallery_1

Yes, there are less of the smaller oval, potato, baroque tissue nucleated freshwater pearls being produced these days. The Chinese farmers can get more money for the bead nucleated pearls and it takes less time to grow, so that is their focus.

What a shame. :(

Thanks so much all -- glad you like the color combo. It's so hard to tell what it will look like. Still waiting for the last strand before I dive in.

Purranha, thanks for the tassel links! I am picking out some options and will post here -- it's hard to tell what the colors will look like in person. I feel like I will have a better sense of what sort of "drop" I want to add once I have the pearls strung. I'm also toying with the idea of making my own tassel from embroidery thread (so I can get a better color match in person) or raw silk thread. I also have to dig out stuff from the bottom of the findings/bead stash -- I think I have some connectors that would be fun for this project as well as some big chunky quartz that might be interesting. So many options!!

kelluvpearls, I couldn't find much like these either, which is one of the reasons I bought them. even among some of the etsy/ebay/online CFW sellers that have rice pearls in various sizes, I only found the lavender ones through one shop. I really like interesting colors -- my first project was silver-blue keshi (posted on the other site).

Wait, silver-blue keshi? is your username the same on the other site? I'll have to go check it out!

OMG I am dying for some thick silk thread tassels - some of them look sssoooo luscious! But of all the thick ones I found, they were too big in overall size. Also just FYI I found that I preferred the larger tassel for necklace and the smaller ones are earrings appropriate size. That is just personal preference though.

Purranha, I have the same user name on the other site, but the finished piece doesn't have its own thread (just a bunch of photos of the worst pearls from the batch!). It's on pg 127 of the "What are you wearing today" thread.

I'm still browsing tassels...good to know you liked the larger ones, though I'm not sure about proportions given that my pearls are smaller. Maybe I'll order a few (and then just have to find other projects to use up the ones I don't like for the necklace!!)

Purranha, I've got a huge box of silk embroidery threads and silk ribbons ... these "simple" tassels are quite easy to make on your own and then you can make smaller ones for earrings :) I've thought about doing a tassel in hand dyed variegated silk embroidery threads, and around the center, wrapping with silk ribbon with some tiny gems or pearls embroidered onto the ribbon ...

enbcfsobe the blue keshis are beautiful!!! And I see that you have a kitty that looks very much like Purranha!
BTW, I have also adopted some octopi... the kids just arrived and I haven't had the opp to take pics. But will post soon! :rolleyes:
Yes I definitely recommend ordering a few to test it out since each tassle is only a few bucks and it does take the seller a while to ship. Seller is located in Turkey - weird, I know, but I just didn't find other tassels I liked on Etsy given a few parameters I was looking for.

enbcfsobe the blue keshis are beautiful!!! And I see that you have a kitty that looks very much like Purranha!
BTW, I have also adopted some octopi... the kids just arrived and I haven't had the opp to take pics. But will post soon! :rolleyes:
Yes I definitely recommend ordering a few to test it out since each tassle is only a few bucks and it does take the seller a while to ship. Seller is located in Turkey - weird, I know, but I just didn't find other tassels I liked on Etsy given a few parameters I was looking for.

thanks Purranha! I actually have 2 grey cats, but the one in my PS avatar is a doppleganger of yours. She's such a sweetie, lets my toddler use her as a "kitty pillow" as he calls it.
can't wait to see your octopi, i'm in awe of them and the ladies who rock them. also did you see the 5-strand pearl & smokey quartz scarf (for lack of a better word) posted on the "what are you wearing" thread on the other site? it looks like wearing a giant pearl tassel! i'm tempted to try to make one.
USPS says my extra strand has arrived (along with some other chunky baroque freshies and pair of white baroque studs). I need to get to the package store to pick it all up before we get snowed in so I can work on my projects this weekend!!

We're well stocked, and on the blizzard trail, although not in the deepest snow zone ... food, water, supplemental heat and cooking supplies ... and pearls, ribbons, threads etcL. Purranha, most of my own "designs" are in my head due to hands that won't cooperate with my brain ... but I'm a great "idea" girl LOL. I'll see what I can do about a silk tassel or 2 if we get snowed in :)

So apparently the server switchover ate my posts! Here is the semi-finished lavender rope (no tassels or dangles yet, just a temporary sterling infinity clasp).
IMG_5620 edited.jpg

ETA: this is tripled and twisted; finished rope is around 60"

tassels have arrived -- I will post pics later tonight I hope. but i am facing a technical/logistical conundrum. how do i wire wrap/string them? do i cut off the attached loop and then wire wrap around/through the "head" of the tassel and into a bead? Purranha, is this what you did to attach yours? any tips/tricks you can offer for doing this in a way that (a) doesn't ruin the tassel and (b) looks unobtrusive? many thanks again for all the inspiration & advice!

also, trying again since the above photo didn't work
IMG_5677.JPG

Back