Shopping in Beijing, Shanghai, Suzhou, Weitang

scannon

I will be traveling in China in July and will be able to shop in each of these cities. When I was in Shanghai 2 years ago I shopped at Ling Ling and came home with necklaces for all the women in my family. Unfortunately the clasps were not good quality.
1. Can anyone suggest a source there? Should I be taking clasps with me?

2. I have been looking for a 20" strand of 12mm freshwater pearls with excellent luster. Bought one online from Jerry at Apex Pearl but returned it. I plan to see him at his shop in Weitang this trip. How likely is it that I will find a really lovely strand there or in any of the other cities? Are all the larger fine quality freshwater pearls bought by dealers? Any suggestions on where I might shop this year? I have not been to Hong Quiao market in either Beijing or Shanghai. Are they better sources than Nanjing Road?

Thanks in advance for any shopping tips.

I've always recommended Ling Ling and I think she is fair and honest. The clasps can be chosen. If you want higher-quality clasps, just request them after selecting your pearls. She should have a range of different choices.

The Hongqiao market in both Beijing and Shanghai are good choices - there are a lot of dealers and they are all competing over you. But the best prices (if you are an adept negotiator) are going to be found in Zhuji. Weitang does not really offer much, in my opinion.

You should be able to find a nice strand of 12 mm pearls in any of the cities, especially Zhuji. You should probably be looking for a strand of 11.5-12.5 mm pearls. They can be expensive, so if you are looking for something of truly fine quality, expect to pay $1500 to $2000.

Jeremy:
Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately, I won't be able to get to Zhuji and had hoped that Weitang would be worth a visit, having read about the government's funding of the market. I will be leading a group of students and faculty on a study tour and we will be in Suzhou one day. So, I thought I could combine my own interest in buying some pearls with my students' potential interest in seeing a huge pearl market. Sounds like I should revise my itinerary!

You bring up an interesting point on pricing. I have scoured the various internet peal dealers to come up with my tentative guide to pricing. My theory is that if I can't beat the prices of these American dealers I shouldn't buy in China. Here is the table for 18inch necklaces I have created based on my research. It loses its formatting when I paste it in, but you can probably get the idea. Anyway, it looks to me as if I might be able to find an 18 inch 11-12mm necklace in the US for about $1300 to $1700. Not your Freshadama or other top quality, which I think I was unable to find a price for. So, given your thoughts on pricing there, it does make me wonder if I am wasting my time trying to find a bargain in China.

MM AA AAA AAAA
6 to 7 $70 $140 $250
6.5 to 7$100$150 $275
7 to 8 $100 $200 $300
7.5 to 8$120$180 $300
8 to 9 $175 $300 $750
8.5 to 9$250$400 $900
9 to 10$450 $600 $1,000
9.5 to 10$800 $1,200
10 to 11$1,100$1,500
11 to 12 $1,300$1,700
12 to 12.5$1,800

Hi Scannon, and welcome. I am just off a flight from Shanghai this morning, and am happy to be able to access Pearl-Guide again!

Honestly, if you are looking for just a few strands, or your one special strand, the prices from the online vendors are probably better, for better quality, than you are likely to get in China, particularly if you aren't used to buying in China. A trip to Zhuji is great if you are planning on buying large quantities, but probably not otherwise. As Jeremy said, the Hongqiao markets in either Shanghai or Beijing are a good place to buy as there are many dealers - just take some time to wander around and ask lots of questions before you take the plunge.
Regarding clasps - all the vendors will offer you a selection once you ask them - they all keep sterling silver, base metal, and 14K/18K gold clasps on hand. If you have something specific that you want regarding clasps, you can always take your own.
I have shopped at Weitang in the past few years, and really don't think it offers much more than you can get at the Hongqiao markets.... happy shopping, and let us know how you go (after you get home and can get onto P-G again..).

Back from Beijing with great finds

Back from Beijing with great finds

Well, I shopped at Ling Ling and RuPeiPei and several other shops in Beijing and Shanghai and found the best quality and value at Marie's on the 5th floor of the Silk Street market in Beijing. I was looking for the 11.5-12mm necklace that has been on my mind for the past year or so, and found one. I think it is lovely and it was a better price than any I saw elsewhere. Attached are a couple of photos. They don't quite capture the color and luster but they are close. I've also included some photos of some metallic keishi multi strand necklaces I put together there. Each strand is 42 inches long and I typically did a mix of 3 or 4 strands in a color range so that they can be worn long or twisted into a choker.
I also bought a selection of short and long black pearl necklaces in various sizes for gifts and some 8mm white in the 36-40 inch length. It was a lovely experience and I really can recommend Marie.

I wasn't able to log on while in China. Is the site blocked?

Attachments

• 20inch.jpg
    20inch.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 45
  • 20inchblueback.jpg
    20inchblueback.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 47
  • bronzemulti.jpg
    bronzemulti.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 43
  • fuschiamulti.jpg
    fuschiamulti.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 47
  • greenmulti.jpg
    greenmulti.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 46
  • greenmulti2.jpg
    greenmulti2.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 43
  • platinummulti.jpg
    platinummulti.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 45
Those are very nice pearls for the size! You did very well! The keshi looks like a great piece. It looks like flowers!

Nice purchases... you have done well!

Re the site being blocked - that is what I was referring to about "being glad to be on p-g again". It is not something particular to PG - you would have found that youtube, facebook, and any site where you can voice an opinion is blocked in China.

For all those who have travelled to these various places, can someone unravel my confusion. Is there a Shanxiahu market in Zhuji and a Zhuji market in Shanxiahu? If so, which is the one to go to?

pearlsandgirls

Zhuji or Shanxiahu??

Zhuji or Shanxiahu??

For all those who have travelled to these various places, can someone unravel my confusion? Is there a Shanxiahu market in Zhuji and a Zhuji market in Shanxiahu? If so, which is the one to go to?

Back