Shanghai trip

akoya

Community member
Ni hao !!!.
I have been in Shanghai since last Tuesday. What a city!!!!
I went to all recommended places by the members, Ling Ling, Daxi Yuyan Gardens, the Hongqiao market. I am sending you some of my findings. I would like to buy more mabe and fat keshi but there are not easy to find. I would appreciate your input. also is it worth (price wise ) to go to Weitang?
all the best
akoya

Attachments

• C?mara Tal?a 108.jpg
    C?mara Tal?a 108.jpg
    10.6 KB · Views: 27
  • C?mara Tal?a 111.jpg
    C?mara Tal?a 111.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 35
Looks like you have found some interesting shapes and beautiful natural colors there---

Pattye
so many pearls, so little time

Ni hao !!!.
I have been in Shanghai since last Tuesday. What a city!!!!
I went to all recommended places by the members, Ling Ling, Daxi Yuyan Gardens, the Hongqiao market. I am sending you some of my findings. I would like to buy more mabe and fat keshi but there are not easy to find. I would appreciate your input. also is it worth (price wise ) to go to Weitang?
all the best
akoya

Ni Hao! Sorry, I have no experience in buying. May I ask, is it worth the trip price-wise? Did you see anything unusual?

Besides Shanghai being a great city one can find great pearls at great values. One has to know where to go though. I followed the members advise and these places i will recomend myself if you are starting out with pearls. However you need to have done your homework. Before my leave I studied for hours on end all the PG threads.Also I had done my designs and i knew what shapes and colors to look for. Yes it was a worth while experience. thanks for asking.
akoya

Hopefully you can show us photos of your finished designs??!!:)

Pattye

what fun shapes and pretty colors you have there Akoya!

Looking forward to pictures of the fun stuff you will do with those.

cheers
Ash

Your kind support means alot to me. I am far away from home and I look forward to your replies.I have found more interesting pearls. So difficult to send you more pictures. On sunday night I am flying back home. I can't wait to share my desighns with you.
Akoya

Just a short message for now. I've also just returned from Shanghai - for all kinds of shopping, not just pearl. I regret not going to the Hongqiao market earlier! It's a full-blown mall with almost everything you can imagine including imitation bags (not interested in those - they've got big posters banning specific brands and still the vendors from the previous Xiangyang market follow you around). The pearl wholesale area is on the second floor. The big players - Ling Ling, Ru Pei Pei are all there. I didn't have enough time or cash to go through all the stores, but I did browse about a third of them. Most had the generic stuff, some owners didn't even know about the nucleated freshwaters. I did make friends with a young pair of sisters who owned two shops there. The elder sister owns Lenny. She has a lot of nice costume jewellery from pearls to Swarovski crystal to ceramic and other semi-precious stones that were quite cheap. The designs were quite fashionable, a big leap from last year's and ebay's crop.

I snagged a 7-7.5 mm (supposedly 8 but I could tell it was smaller than Jeremy's strand) yikes exotic for RMB280 - the colors are not quite as saturated at Jeremy's, but I got a uniform colored strand and the luster was amazing. It's kind pinkish gold. Will have a better look in indirect light tomorrow. Not complaining for the price and a free 14K mini white gold ball clasp. I got her to pick out all the lustrous pearls from 3 different strands and put them together. I must be the most difficult customer ever. There wasn't enough to match a bracelet, which would've been nice.

I don't think I got an exceptionally good deal, but I did manage to get a 14 mm lavender freshwater round made into a solitaire with 14K white gold set with 0.04 carats of diamonds. The pearl quality is probably just AA - shape, color and luster are actually quite good, but with moderate surface blemishing. The chain, setting and pearl came up to RMB1800 in total. I think I was too soft on the bargaining.

I didn't get anything at Nanjing Rd's pearl city - too few stores and the stock was very limited. Yuyuan's pearl circle/village was a surprise. I got an AAA (at least that's what I think it is) 8-9 mm lavender strand with saturated coloration and excellent luster - almost exotic oil-slick like but not quite there. There wasn't enough good quality in the 9-10 mm. This cost me RMB1700 - I didn't even have to bargain. Wasn't quite that interested in buying, asking price was 2800, she cut it down to 1800, then added 120 for the clasp. When I wanted to walk away she just cut it down herself as there was just no business. I don't think I did too badly. It's not eggplant, but it's almost pure dark lavender. There's even one odd pearl which looks kinda reddish.

All strands/chains are 18" unless otherwise stated.

Photos and more detail tomorrow. Still hunting for that elusive cotton candy pink.

Hi Akoya and Raisondetre,

Wonderful to hear of your adventures, and look forward to seeing photos of all the wonderful pearls!

If I used the currency conversion correctly, US100 = RMB700 (approximately).

Raisondetre, the closest I have seen to natural color bright cotton candy pink is in freshwater keishis!

Pattye

Hi Raisondetre - thought you must be in Shanghai now. Yuyuan gardens is a surprise, isn't it? I also bought shell pearls from a vendor there - I'm amazed that the few times I went, there were hardly any tourists - surprising given that it is just 2 escalators up from a major tourist area...

Tell us about your other shopping too - you know we are all addicts!

Akoya - thanks also for your pics - yes please send us some photos of what you do with your new collection of goodies!

My camera just ran out of battery and I'm sick today, so just a few to start off with. I tried using the macro mode this time. Seems to show up quite sharp, but I can only get the low zoom images. Lighting isn't the best, but it still shows some saturation.

This is the 14 mm lavender solitaire.

Lavender1.jpg

Lavender2.jpg

Lavender8.jpg

Lavender9.jpg

Comparison of the color with the full 8-9 mm strand. Matching isn't the best in the strand but I thought the colors were lovely enough. There are hardly any blemishes on the strand apart from two pearls.

Comparison.jpg

Coiled pictures of the strand. They are mostly round, but may appear off-round in the pictures.

Strand1.jpg

Strand3.jpg

Last edited:
Raisondetre, congratulations on your new pearls, they are beautiful! The colours are redolescent of autumn... harvest, fruits (plums maybe), the sun which still shines but doesn't burn...nice! And they must look wonderful on you.

Lovely lavenders .. gorgeous. Also love the pendant - very classic and elegant! I had a strand of Carolyn Ehret from Druzy Design's bead nucleated FW here - the pale pink is exactly that - pretty fairly floss pink! You would love it!

I just had to put up some pics of the exotics I got. Jeremy's are the multicolored ones on the right. Lighting isn't the best since I took it under fluorescent at night. Will try again tomorrow. I think the ones I got might be just 6.0-7.0 mm, so a full mm smaller than Jeremy's.

100_0108.jpg

100_0110.jpg

100_0112.jpg

I'm actually quite surprised the blemishes don't show up much on the 14 mm lavender solitaire - it is moderately blemished in real life, but the luster and color, plus size/shape really hide it well. I've just never seen such a monster. There was a 12 mm with better luster but less saturated color that I couldn't justify since I didn't fall in love with it.

For the exotics, the lady told me they could only pick maybe one from 3000 or more pearls, so I was really lucky to get that. It was just that one store with the new harvest from this year that had it after trudging three markets. I'm going to have a blast next year! I don't think I'm going to get freshadama quality out of them consistently though. They don't have enough stock to match.

PS: I've tweaked the last couple of photos so that the colors show up truer to real life.

Last edited:
Back