Scratched pearls

pearley

Hi everyone

I am just wondering if any experienced members with tahitian pearl bracelets can give me their opinion.

I was wearing my tahitian bracelet only for 1 day and the next day I noticed some scratches on them! My heart sank. I didn't wash them with any soap, I didn't cook or clean with them. The only thing I did was to wear them out driving and grocery shopping. I didn't knowingly remember catching the pearls on anything so it was a huge shock and surprise to see some scratches on them. Almost looks like cat scratches but I don't have a cat. Any ideas what I should do to protect my pearls when I am wearing them?I thought I was already being extra careful with them but clearly I am not sure what I did wrong.

Any advice would be so much appreciated thanks so much.

I think bracelets (and rings) are just prone to more wear and tear than, say, necklaces and earrings.

Do you have any sort of metal on your handbag? Could it have rubbed against the bracelet?

pearley,

I suspect you've had "desk dives" while working? If I wear my bracelet on my right wrist I use the wrist pad (the beany type to prevent carpal tunnel) to protect the pearls from scratching the desk. I also do not stack pearl bracelet with watches or other metal bracelets just as a precaution. Better safe than sorry. But I think pearls are tougher than we think. I've worn my Tahitian pearl ring and scratched it against the door frame while locking the door. I've also scratched it against the wooden bed frame at a cabin. Surprisingly both incidents did not cause surface damage to the pearls. Have you tried using a soft cloth to buff it?

pearley,

I suspect you've had "desk dives" while working? If I wear my bracelet on my right wrist I use the wrist pad (the beany type to prevent carpal tunnel) to protect the pearls from scratching the desk. I also do not stack pearl bracelet with watches or other metal bracelets just as a precaution. Better safe than sorry. But I think pearls are tougher than we think. I've worn my Tahitian pearl ring and scratched it against the door frame while locking the door. I've also scratched it against the wooden bed frame at a cabin. Surprisingly both incidents did not cause surface damage to the pearls. Have you tried using a soft cloth to buff it?

Thanks for your advice. I may have knocked my pearls slightly when I was typing my emails but I do not really sit down at a desk for long. I guess my pearls are more fragile than yours since I already have a few scratched and I don't even remember when that happened. I also don't wear my pearls with anything else ie no watches, no bracelets . Thanks for your help I will look into getting a wrist pad to help when I am wearing my pearls.

I think bracelets (and rings) are just prone to more wear and tear than, say, necklaces and earrings.

Do you have any sort of metal on your handbag? Could it have rubbed against the bracelet?

Hi Pearl Dreams, I actually don't carry a handbag much. I have a small purse that I carry that is cloth material. I think I might have knocked it against the desk surface when typing as Hanaleimom suggested.

Back