Questions About Oysters

Madscientwist

Hello! I have been watching these videos of women opening pearls and it is so fun and has made me very interested. With very little research I think I have figured out these pearls are not akoya like they say they are.

With that said I am interested in buying oysters with cultured pearls. Essentially I want to start a little business to sell pearls by opening the oysters but to do it honestly. From reading it seems freshwater pearls offer the largest color variety so that seems to be the best pearl for this sort of thing. The excitement comes from not knowing what could be inside, but no matter what getting something pretty!

The people on this site seem knowledgeable so I was hoping someone could help me find an honest oyster farm to work with.

If this can work out I think it would be a fun little business. Any information is greatly appreciated! I do not want to claim to have something I do not!

Thank you!
Brittany

I have been doing more reading and have even started the Pearls as One course. I am thinking the reason most of these are scams is that even when farming is done correctly there are still a lot of empty mollusks. I am excited to finish this course and learn more!

What I am now trying to figure out is if there is any business for me to start that would interest people...these open an oyster videos are SO popular and I now realize such a scam! Trying to figure out what can be done to replace these scams...time to brainstorm! (and keep reading!)

Back