Question on lotions and sunscreens

kylie56

Hoping you more experienced pearl lovers can give me your feedback on using lotion/sunscreen when wearing pearls. I always let it dry-down for at least a half-hour, and always follow the "last on, first off" rule. My neck and chest get so dry and sun-damaged, I am afraid to go without the sunscreen, but have seen many mentions of the harm to the pearls. I would appreciate any opinions or suggestions on this. Thank yoU!

Hi Kylie,

Sounds like you are doing it right! You can gently wipe the strand down with a clean damp cloth, and of course there is a nice bath in The Pearl Doctor cleaner.

It will help to know what stringing material is involved, as genuine silk is more stretchy when wet, synthetics more sturdy in general.

https://www.pearl-guide.com/forum/pearl-care-cleaning/2206-pearl-doctor.html

Having more strands to wear helps so you can rotate the wearing--:D;)

I have just ordered some of this for myself, but haven't had a chance to use it, very good reviews, though!

When I last visited my parents in FL, I made up a multicolor CFW set of lesser quality (nice luster but some spots) to take on vacation.

I strung the pearls on beading wire, and wore sunscreen every day while wearing the pearls. Every evening I washed them with gentle soap and water. I figured this way I could avoid any worry about the sun or the pearls.

It worked out very well-- the pearls still look fine despite all the exposure to lotion. Nightly washing wasn't a problem since they weren't strung on silk.

Here they are:

picture.php

Oh, I see I have another bracelet in the photo-- the one at the bottom has since been restrung with silk and was not one of the vacation pearls.

Last edited:
Thanks for reporting. You mentioned you were going to do that.

I am amazed at how the freshwater pearls love water. Soap and water too.

I wore my pinkish lavender 10mm Powerpro vs. silk test bracelet FW strand 24/7 for around a year. I swear the pearls looked better at the end!

Pearl Dreams,

A very good solution, so you could wear, enjoy and not worry about the beautiful pearls! They look very happy!

Totally agreeing here! :D The longer I wear pearls the more I think the pearls philosophy for life is:
"Get a good bath". :p

Great pearls Pearl Dreams.

barbie

Back