Queen Marie Antoinette's Pearls Going Up For Auction

Thanks for sharing that! I would LOVE to see that collection in person!

Wow, what a collection! That pendant is amazing.

The pearl drops are great, but that SAPPHIRE!!! Holy cow, that's gorgeous.

I would love to. The La Peregrina pearl came from one of my ancestors: King Philip II of Spain 1527–1598 to give to Queen Mary I Tudor on their marriage Marriage 25 Jul 1554 • Winchester, Hampshire, England

pearl eliz.jpg

La Peregrina is one of the most famous pearls in the world. Its history spans almost 500 years, and it has passed from the African slave who found it at Pearl Islands in the Gulf of Panama, to European kings and queens. More recently, the pearl belonged to Elizabeth Taylor and ultimately sold at auction. It was given to her by Richard Burton.

Wow- thanks for sharing. Love the pearl pendant, but boy, that orangy diamond ring would look very delicious on my finger....

Quite remarkable history and jewels! As much as I love the pearls, if I had an extra winning lottery ticket around, those diamond gerandole chandelier style earrings would be mine :)

Well I hope they will somehow end up at a museum! Would be shame if not....

An article on forbes says that
For those interested, there will be public exhibitions for viewing of the jewels beginning June 21, in Milan, and then on September 18 in Munich, and September 21 in Cologne.

I will be staying in Cologne this summer & fall so I hope I will be able to visit them on my birthday!

Last edited:

{url=https://www.forbes.com/sites/robertanaas/2018/06/15/marie-antoinettes-never-before-seen-jewels-and-other-royal-gems-up-for-auction-by-sothebys/#27b7903e3882]An article on forbes[/url] says that

I will be staying in Cologne this summer & fall so I hope I will be able to visit them on my birthday!

That would be awesome!! I would love to see the collection in real life!!

{url=https://www.forbes.com/sites/robertanaas/2018/06/15/marie-antoinettes-never-before-seen-jewels-and-other-royal-gems-up-for-auction-by-sothebys/#27b7903e3882]An article on forbes[/url] says that

Ama, what a perfectly wonderful birthday gift! And if you are allowed to take photos, I know some peeps that would be thrilled to see them!

If you love admiring beautiful jewels, this is a documentary on the Al Thani Collection "From the Great Mughals to the Maharajas". I saw the exhibition in Paris last year and can't even begin to describe the jewels, which make Marie Antoinette's look cheap. Many pearl creations, but it was the closest I'll ever be to a 57 carat diamond!

http://www.thealthanicollection.com/exhibitions-and-publications/the-doges-palace/

Ama, what a perfectly wonderful birthday gift! And if you are allowed to take photos, I know some peeps that would be thrilled to see them!

If I am allowed to take them I will definately try, not sure if I will do them any justice with my absolutely non-existent photographic skills...

If you love admiring beautiful jewels, this is a documentary on the Al Thani Collection "From the Great Mughals to the Maharajas". I saw the exhibition in Paris last year and can't even begin to describe the jewels, which make Marie Antoinette's look cheap. Many pearl creations, but it was the closest I'll ever be to a 57 carat diamond!

http://www.thealthanicollection.com/exhibitions-and-publications/the-doges-palace/

How lucky you were to visit this exhibition! I am very interested in different time periods and cultures so I can imagine what a treat this must have been. Also noticed that there is a virtual exhibition to give us a taste of the real thing. I hope I can make a trip to Italy in the near feature and visit this, but I want a better understand of the jewelry on show first and read up as much as I can before that.

Ama, I was fortunate to be in Paris during the exhibition. Such incredible artistry and such an abundance of gems and pearls. It was truly breathtaking. I hope you can get to Italy to see it.

those pieces of art are a magnificent collection. I would love to see them in person

Back