Purchase decision (Mikimoto vs. "Belle de Mer" [ie Macy's])

infoseeker

Hello -

After some time persuing this site and some other research, I believe that I have narrowed a purchase decision between the following Akoya pearl necklaces as gifts for my wife:
I have visited both stores and found the salespeople in each store *very* helpful in understanding both the features and deficiencies of each, but I would appreciate some independent advice from the wonderful people who frequent this site.

My question(s) are:
  1. What significant differences (in terms of manufacturing process, relative quality, etc), if any, exist between the above choices given the factors below?
  2. Which would you choose (ignoring price differences)?
Factors
  • Pearl longevity (assuming proper care)
  • Pearl quality
  • Value of purchase (not looking for residual value, but don't want to be taken either)
  • Little to no emphasis on branding
Additional background
This will be my wife's first pearl jewelry. She is petite and in her mid-30s of Latin American heritage. I am considering an 18" pearl necklace of white/ creme color (but please advise on any fashion faux pas).

Thank you!

You would seriously consider paying that much for only an A1 quality from Miki? Was there an apparent difference between the Miki set and the Macy set? There is no good way for us to truly evaluate without seeing the SPECIFIC pearls you are talking about. There is so much info here about where to get top quality akoya at a great value, why are you only considering B&M's for your purchase?

Thanks for the insight Pattye - I'm a thorough novice at pearls and only starting holiday shopping a day or two ago (B&Ms were close, and I was hesitant to purchase online without seeing some first-hand). As for the price, I assumed some branding mark-up and I believe there is a diamond on the clasp, which may exaggerate the price a bit. Unfortunately, I do not have pictures of the actual sets, but I was looking for general guidance on the relative attributes of each.

I am curious - where would you (roughly) price a 18" A1 quality pearl necklace?

Thank you again for your insight.

Well, A1 isn't a good choice at any price when buying akoyas. The pearls will be duller and noticeably less lustrous than a true AAA grade, the nacre thinner and have more blemishes. Remember, akoya pearls are nacre over a mother of pearl bead center, so nacre thickness is extremely important. (I have never seen Macy's brand of pearls, but I have sold Miki's when I worked in fine jewelry at Nordstrom. That was the only brand we carried and the mark up is at least 3x wholesale.

If you are set on akoya pearls, I highly recommend Pearl Paradise. Call them. Their customer service is great! Your budget will go much further. You will receive high quality pearls, that have been purchased by the master pearler, Jeremy himself, who knows quality pearls like no one else. The whole team at Pearl Paradise knows pearls and has their GIA Graduate Pearls degree. Buy a necklace and coordinating earrings minimum. Bracelet also, if it fits the budget. Guaranteed, your wife will look terrific in her PP pearls and you will know you got a great value!

Welcome Infoseeker,
Those natural white Hanadamas are stunning and even better when you see them in person! Lucky lucky wife!!!

Given the comments above, I am also considering the Pearl Paradise Natural White Hanadama Necklace. While I am still unable to produce images, would this offer a superior alternative to my aforementioned choices?

My goodness, that one from PP is to die for-- and absolutely, no question, better than the A1 Miki you provided a link for. Any woman would be fabulously lucky to get that strand.
BTW, did you realize that A1 is lower quality than A? A1 is a step lower than A. Think of it as "A minus". (Still beautiful, of course, but nowhere near as nice as Hanadama, which are certified-top quality AAA strands.)

I saw an A1 Miki at Nordstrom about a month ago, it was priced at $3600. If someone offered me that strand or the PP Natural white Hanadama, I would not hesitate one second to get the natural whites! Take a look at GemGeek's strand photos:

Hanadama Pearls from Pearl Paradise

Thanks for the feedback! I went ahead and ordered the option from pearl paradise (just in time for Christmas after all) as well as the matching earrings (though had to order the 8.5mm-9.0mm version of the earrings since the 8.0-8.5mm version was out of stock). When you buy your earrings, do you buy them on the larger side or smaller size (or are the sizes close enough that it doesn't really matter).

BTW - I'll take the necklaces around and try to get post some comparative closeup photos to benefit future visitors to the site.

Thanks again!

Most welcome! Generally not smaller earrings, rather the same size or slightly larger, with a strand like Hanadama. Trust the folks at Pearl Paradise to give good styling advice.

Awesome if you can get comparison photos. Or at least a neck shot of your wife in the pearls. Great work, Santa!!

I agree, I tend to go a little larger for earrings-- but my earlobes are rather large.
Someone with teeny earlobes might prefer small pearl studs, OR large dangle earrings.

I look forward to the photos!

Back