Proposing with a natural pearl

Now there is a man who is head over heels in love! What a great story-- I especially love that he'd never made jewelry before!

<sigh> I've always loved bunnies. Who knew they could be romantic? :)

Who could say no to that?

How is the pearl going to stay in place if it can be easily removed? There's got to be an extra bit of metal to stop it from getting dislodged.

Also, nice that he respected the nature of the pearl and didn't drill it.
Maybe this will start a trend.

Raisondetre said:
Who could say no to that?

How is the pearl going to stay in place if it can be easily removed? There's got to be an extra bit of metal to stop it from getting dislodged.

I think that will be addressed when the piece is platinum-plated and fully finished- it was done that way so that he can have the pearl removed after presenting it to his fiance to finalize the setting and then make a more secure final home for the pearl.

Wow. What dedication. You just have to say yes after all that.

Just goes to show that if a man really loves his woman, he will go to great lengths to show her. Pretty incredible how a guy with no jewellery experience carves out a silver art clay bunny ring to fit a natural pearl!! What romance. That is going to be some interesting heirloom! Reminds me a little of my own husband who carved and cast our wedding bands in some gold he got from a dental supply company. He also inscribed some romantic stuff on the undersides of the bands with his dental drill.

Slraep

Perfect Pearl said:
Mikimoto announced that a 12mm cultured pearl can be considered as an engagement ring.

Is this a new advertising campaign or just another enormously condescending statement made by some self-appointed style guru somewhere? It's been a while since Mikimito was on the leading edge of pearl style, unless I've been watching the wrong planet all along (could be).

Slraep said:
Mikimoto must be a little excessively enthusiastic because an akoya pearl would not be able to take daily wear very well.

Oh well, if a strand cannot really last 'a life time' a ring might as well last through a honeymoon, even through most first-time marriages.

Besides, 12mm-anything would be BIG among engagement rings, and that might as well appeal to a few humans... here and there... you know... :rolleyes:

Yiks! :eek:

Last edited by a moderator:
I have to applaud the designer again!

Slraep

Slraep said:
I have to applaud the designer again!

Slraep

Any idea if the author or the wearer of the ring knows of this thread? ;)

The bunny ring is wonderful. I love the originality, the perseverance to an idea and the ability to start with such enthusiasm for giving her something she really wanted ("she's obsessed with bunnies"), and to finish what he started with such panache! Wish we could thank him for sharing such a 'spirit of the Magi' kind of story with us.
Jeremy: thank you for sharing this story with us. It's great to see that some people will actually go to such lengths to find just the right tools, (a perfect pearl, gold, etc.) and make a ring for their beloved with their own hands.

"I've never made jewelry before"

Is he serious? :eek:

That story was amazing!

Although, I would liken that to someone saying "I've never cooked anything before but whipped up this little carmelized onion, morel mushroom, cheese and cream potato stack with a side of sliced steak on a smear of balsamic reduction with thyme and dried cherries." :rolleyes:

Well, we don't know what background this guy has... perhaps he is more comfortable working with metal or started with some related skills. Also, he worked with metal clay, took that material at 'face value' as a credible stand in for traditional precious metal use... and does not seem to know that polishing and plating it is not a straightforward proposition, so that does sound like a gifted beginner's tale.

I wonder how long before precious metal clay will make its way in the beaders' forum here. ;)

Btw. that recipe sounds awesome! :cool: (it is almost lunch time)

Valeria101 said:
Well, we don't know what background this guy has... perhaps he is more comfortable working with metal or started with some related skills. Also, he worked with metal clay, took that material at 'face value' as a credible stand in for traditional precious metal use... and does not seem to know that polishing and plating it is not a straightforward proposition, so that does sound like a gifted beginner's tale.

I wonder how long before precious metal clay will make its way in the beaders' forum here. ;)

Btw. that recipe sounds awesome! :cool: (it is almost lunch time)

You have a point about the finishing on the ring. Precious Metal Clay has a much lower density, so it tends to be porous, leading to pitting during polishing. The idea of one of those darling ears breaking off is almost too much to contemplate...

Maybe she will wind up wearing this ring on a chain, and not so much on her finger?

I do love the whole idea, so sentimental, and have had adorable pet bunnies.

Have been curious about PMC, so that was fascinating also.

Pattye
so many pearls, so little time

Back