Please help! Are these real Tahitian pearls?

nessie26

Hi guys! I recently purchased this earrings online and owner said these are tahitian pearls. Also its my first time to have this kind of pearl so i have no idea. I bought it because I love the color. I also noticed that the bottom part of the pearl is cut so I wonder if it is normal? The earrings is set on 14 karat gold.Thank you. IMG 20160827 06716 "before"afterafter220180222_123642.jpg20180222_123642.jpg20180222_123507.jpg

I agree, dyed freshwater pearls.

Not normal at all to cut off the bottom of the pearls. Evidently these were baroque pearls that the seller wanted to fit into that finding, but why? There are so many button shaped freshwater pearls that could be made into studs.

I've seen tahitian buttons which look like that. But not well matched from the photos. I would doubt the gold claim without a check because those butterflies are huge for gold.

Those are definitely freshwater pearls and the setting looks like base metal, not gold. I hope you didn't pay much for these or are at least able to return them because they are not Tahitian pearls and are worth very little.

Hi. I had the metal tested and its 100% 14karats white gold. I can send closer pics for the buttom part because they do look like they are really cut purposely 😔

Huh, they really were cut. I've never seen anything like that.

Are they returnable? Unless you love them, I'd be looking at sending them back for a refund.

Cutting would be very strange. I've never seen freshwater cut before. Button freshwater pearls are too inexpensive. Typically, only akoya pearls are cut to remove a major blemish from one side. Those are called 3/4 pearls in the trade. Small, dyed button freshwater pearls can be purchased for less than a dollar apiece and when they have blemishes, it's pennies. It just doesn't make sense unless perhaps the person who made the earrings was very limited on available pearls and really wanted to make a pair of earrings that worked with a couple of circled ovals.

Thank you very much for the information. It was a great help. Seller was asking me if can pay 70 dollars. Basically im just paying for the gold and not the pearls.

Here's my advice: if you love them, get them. BUT you should have those mountings tested, because this seller has not accurately described the pearls (not saying they are knowingly doing this). Or, and this is what I would do, save that $70 and put it toward a really gorgeous pair of genuine cultured Tahitians set in gold. Many of our vendors run sales, and saving for what you truly want will be worth it in the long run. Just my 2 cents on your $70.

@JerseyPearl yes i do love them and also i had the mountings tested again at the pawnshop today and they real 14k. I am thinking maybe one of these days i might be able to find a perfect pearl for these settings and replace the freshwater pearls.

It is harder than you think to replace the pearls unless you have a jeweler with a decent pearl inventory, not to mention the settings look difficult to fit. I would send them back. If it was ebay, file as "not as described" and state they were not Tahitian. The seller will have to pay for shipping back to them. There are so many fakes on ebay you really need to know your pearls and stand firm.

Based on the photos, they are probably baroque Tahitian pearls but were cut. Can't determine whether it is dyed or not from the pictures.

The seller should have clearly stated that there were cut in the listing. The value of cut Tahitian pearls is totally different. You should have known it before buying them.

Last edited:
Personally I wouldn't bother with them. This is one of the oddest pair of earrings I've seen. Like others, I cannot imagine why anyone would cut a cheap pearl to put into those findings. The place where they tested the gold isn't the same place selling them is it ?

Beatriz is correct, that setting, if new, would be more than the cost of the earrings. It's all quite odd.

Back