PINK south sea pearls?

I saw a necklace very similar to that at Shreve's (very reputable, expensive jewelry store in San Francisco) a while back. As I recall, pearls were all uniform in size, about 14mm. They confirmed that the pink ones were FW. Can't speak as to this necklace, of course.

Sheri

To me the whole thing looks very un south sea-ish, but imposs to tell clearly with such moody over exposed photos.

I have seen those types of strands in BASELWORLD last march (said to be biggest european high-end jewelry fair).
In fact it is compose of white australian, gold philippin and famous Edison FW.
They call the whole strand as SS anyway, and everyone there says so.

I prefer my SSPs to be silver, and am not keen on multi-colour strands.

DK :)

A visit to Betteridge in Greenwich is like a visit to a museum. The jewelry is beyond astonishing. We make it a point to go in and drool whenever we visit Greenwich.

I saw some really pink SSP on a fair last year, it was big size too 14mm+ and very beautiful... which sadly I didn't take a picture of. Don't know if there are enough of them out there to make a strand, possibly only for a mixedcolor strand.

Pinkish white ones are less rare, and I personally really like those ones as they're so pretty.

pinkish white ssp.jpg

Gidday All
Wendy we do get "pink" south sea pearls. I looked at the link and the pic's a bit creepy/cheap for me.

Pearl Dreams, thanks for the reference, I totally dig bricks and mortar, several varieties combined makes a main st, in a town. I'm sure they have some good gear on show but perhaps they could do with a photographer for their web page. The strand Wendy provided the link to has quite a few ovals and near rounds in it that look pretty clean but in no way can be considdered value at that price. I wouldn't mind someone from the guide givving us a rough price on the clasp though.

dkan 168, wait until you actually hold some genuine "pinks" in your hand. Then you have seen the ultimate, grasshopper.

Yes Pattye, Bron and I are progressing well with the "pinks". I've said before how the "pink is actually refraction, caused by the way the light enters and reflects with the nacre. Our best "pink " from last years harvest (a C grade pearl with two big pits in but lovely nacre) caused a bit of confusion recently. Two couples on catamarans came ashore for lunch and we had a great few hours in the lodge dining and yarning as the bright sun progressively sank to the point of reflecting off the river into our faces. After sevearl hours of this, Bron produced the pearls and our marvelous "pink" to the surprise of all was NOT "pink".

I'm certainly not a doctor but, I feel all our eye's had been temporarily effected by the sun's glare. Looked at the same pearl the next day and sure enough it's "pink".

South Sea Pinks are a lovely tinge, just a slight hit of pink. Can't be replicated with dye.

Thanks for the pic of the two pearls, Perlinda. The biggest problem with the internet everyone is this, Bron purchased us a new laptop when She went south recently for us. If you are reading this on a laptop, go up above to Perlinda's pic of the two pearls, then tilt your screen back and forth slowly, How do you know which shade is the actual colour?

I've said it before and I'll say it again, if you are buying a strand of South Sea Pearls, put them in your hand and around your neck, feel them and observe the wonderful colour chages as you move them around your skin. That is how you get to know if it's the "right" one for you.

Rusty,

One of the more astounding things about Betteridge is that the fabulous jewels sell! We are talking about huge and glorious rubies, sapphires, emeralds, South Sea pearls, high end watches and more, including estate items. Nothing gathers dust there. I'm always amazed at the turnover.

That is a very wealthy area and the store is always full of customers when we stop in-- and they're buying, not window-shopping as we are. I suspect the store doesn't have much need of a website. But I see your point about photography.

Back