Pearls in Berlin museum

Too big a wire and the same problem I have with some diamond earrings my grandmother left me - taking them off would mean dragging that little hook through your ear hole. They must have had really big holes back then! ;)

Hi,

These earrings remind me of the ones in your photo. How old are they btw.

How about guessing how old mine are. They are 22kt gold with seed pearls.

Dawn
eBay Seller ID dawncee333

Attachments

• Basra Earrings 22kt.JPG
    Basra Earrings 22kt.JPG
    98 KB · Views: 46
Just spotted that you said the ones in your photo are over 1000 years old. Wow. Don't know how I missed that. Thought it was a guessing game. :) Do you know more about them. The history of them, where they came from. Please do tell.

Dawn
eBay Seller ID dawncee333

This earring is from Central Mediterranean region, dated gold 9 to 10 century.
A nice one besides being a bit difficult to wear ...

Do you like this pair, still pearls on?
not the same period, nor the same place ...

Attachments

• CliClasp-Pearl-Guide-20486C.jpg
    CliClasp-Pearl-Guide-20486C.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 55
Here we are again !
Congratulations, Caitlin you are right.
These earrings come from Bagdad 8 c. AD, gold with pearl.
Nice isn't ?
Still another one coming in soon.

That's will be my last post from Berlin museum, last but not least, (the red background is not my idea, and sorry for the reflection of my camera ...).
Do you like it?

Attachments

• CliClasp-Pearl-Guide-20473C.jpg
    CliClasp-Pearl-Guide-20473C.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 38
  • CliClasp-Pearl-Guide-20475C.JPG
    CliClasp-Pearl-Guide-20475C.JPG
    42.8 KB · Views: 44
CliClasp,

Fun pictures! To answer your questions, Yes, I would wear these pieces. In my teen years would have loved to wear the Mediterranean region earrings, Big and Clunky, of the 1980's comes to my mind. though they are probably not as big as my mind makes them out to be. The Persian earrings remind me of chandelier earrings all the rage a few years ago. The necklace above is something I would wear today with a "scoop" or v-neck "summer weight" cashmere sweater.

The craftsmanship that went into these pieces never ceases to amaze me. Living in a world where so many things (including some jewelry) are "mass produced" by machine. To see pieces like this that have survived are a real treat and treasure unto themselves. Thank you so much for sharing these lovely photos!

Cheers,

Back