kamoka2
    29.4 KB · Views: 57
  • DSC00964.jpg
    DSC00964.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 61
  • DSC_0177.jpg
    DSC_0177.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 48
Congratulations on a successful harvest! Thank you for showing photos of your beautiful pearls! They are all amazing, I admit I am very drawn to the drop ringed multicolor ones shown in the other thread also. Do you call your pearls "black pearls," not Tahitian pearls, and is the mollusk, pinctada margaritifera?

To see where your operation is located I went to "Google Earth," and zoomed in on your tree covered atoll. I could see buildings also. (I LOVE google earth.) The view was from 2005, so likely no pic of your current farm. Still very interesting. Is it true that 1 person owns the whole island? What is the population now? Do you live there year round? I see there is an airport. Do you have fresh water? Do you have concerns about storms and tsunami?

Thank you so much for sharing these photos. They are a real treat!

Please come back and share more photos and stories. You've raised some beautiful pearls there!

Please tell us more. Is this you first year farming pearls? Any photos of the operation? The more you chronicle here, the better known your operation will get, all over the world. So please post a lot!

Hi Caitlin,

Sorry for the long silence. Been very hectic the past few months. The pearls shown in this post are from our second harvest, still a small one. We are planning for our largest seeding this summer. I am posting some pictures from our operation and will keep posting for your information. Also, Namdrik atoll is owned by the people and we have our traditional leaders (4 paramount chiefs) who still hold the title as Chiefs. The atoll is run by our Local Government and we have a Mayor and local Council like any other small community in the outer islands. The main source of income for our people so far is from Copra production which is picked up every quarter by the field trip ships which hauls them to the Capital of Majuro atoll. We hope the pearl farm will become a the bread and butter for the community in the near future. We are hoping to do more spat collection to support the project since the spats flown in from the Capital are becoming too costly and plane is unreliable.

Hope others can help suggest ways to improve our natural spat collection based on their own experiences. We are a small operation and the project will now go into full scale later this summer.

Many thanks for the kind comments and support.

Please tell us more. Is this you first year farming pearls? Any photos of the operation? The more you chronicle here, the better known your operation will get, all over the world. So please post a lot!

Attachments

• IMG_0209.jpg
    IMG_0209.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 48
  • DSC00008.jpg
    DSC00008.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_0067.jpg
    IMG_0067.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 58
  • Namdrik 2012 (529).jpg
    Namdrik 2012 (529).jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_0250.jpg
    IMG_0250.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_0319.jpg
    IMG_0319.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 48
Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you!
Please visit us more often. It is so heartening to see you doing this. I wish you many happy harvests!

Back