Pearls from Atrina vexillum

gustaf

Just wonder if there is any attempt of culturing pearls from Atrina vexillum?

I would have thought it unlikely as prices and demand are both low. But if you have any nice examples for sale at a reasonable price please let me know, thanks

I agree with Dave on the cracking pearls.

But sometimes fishermen find some truly special pearls from the Pen-Shells. Just last week we were offered 3 pearls from Pinna rugosa: they seem very solid and don't have any cracks...the pearls were fished out years ago and the fisherman just kept them in a jar until recently. Here is a photo of these pearls (the 2nd pearl, from left to right is not from Pinna, but from Pteria sterna) & the lone pearl photo is from the large pearl (1.7 grams) on the far left side.

Large 9,7mm 1,8g (2) [640x480].jpgAssorted Natural Pearls 001 TOP [640x480].jpg

So, sometimes...

I have the same question than Caitlin, I have one, and thought that Pen pearls were more porcelain-like texture than iridescent

Attachments

• P1210428.jpg
    P1210428.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 41
I have the same question than Caitlin, I have one, and thought that Pen pearls were more porcelain-like texture than iridescent

Yes. There is (little) or no aragonite and a higher protein content with just enough calcite to harden. Liken it more to tinted resin than mineralization.

Near to all of the "caramels" in my natural collection appear in the manner as yours (lovely btw!). Although not nacreous, they still present with some iridescence.

These pearl are very nacreous, solid...heavy. Most pen-shells I've handled are "lighter" (protein is less heavy than nacre or calcite). Their color is kind of "bronze" (coppery-brown), possibly being fished out during summer. Many pearls come out in this color in August-September.

These pearl are very nacreous, solid...heavy. Most pen-shells I've handled are "lighter" (protein is less heavy than nacre or calcite). Their color is kind of "bronze" (coppery-brown), possibly being fished out during summer. Many pearls come out in this color in August-September.

Indeed highly nacreous. I've erroneously confused them with cultured pens, by jamming four types of pearl into one sentence.

I'm out of my league here (but still wanna play :D), so please correct me if I'm wrong again, but cultured pens tend to be top heavy with conchiolin?

In a prior Nautilus-related search for examples of dual biominerality in mollusk shells I came across this image clearly showing a transition to nacre towards the hinge of this Pinna Nobilis.

Attachments

• PInnaDual.jpg
    PInnaDual.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 40
...clearly showing a transition to nacre towards the hinge of this Pinna Nobilis.

Periostracum and prismatic layering is a long part of the life cycle. Nacreous is short.

Highly nacreous naturals would likely have to be three or more years old.

As nice as the nacre is, culturewise it would seem like an uphill battle from the outset.

The problem with culturing Pen Shells is that the animals themselves are so fragile, specially in their initial year of growth, they don't like the handling and their shells are so brittle...then to achieve a good sized animal (for pearl culturing) you have to wait 3 years...then wait 2 more years for the cultured pearl to attain a good nacre thickness and then...very likely...you'll have a pearl that could crack just because the nacre of these species is of this nature (easily dehydrates).

Look at this nice Pen-Shell juvenile...the shell is translucent. Can you imagine how frail this little thing is?
Atrina maura (1) [640x480].jpg

I would grow them for their incredibly delicious scallop meat (hey! we actually grow Pinna rugosa here!)...but not for their pearls. We tried some years ago, but the results were far from being positive.

Hi Dave
i did not notice you funny tag before
I am glad to be so close to Douglas :)

Back