Pearl_dreams applying for membership....

:) Thank you Amrita! Although only the throat shots are of me-- the back of the neck is my daughter! Would be kinda hard to photograph my own neck! :p

My throat is still a bit blotchy in the photos from a case of poison ivy. Makes me itch just to remember it.

Looking at this all together reminds me where all my discretionary money has gone for the past few years. :eek:

But I'm still going to a few more gem and bead shows in the next couple of weeks hehehe! Who needs new fall clothes anyway, right? ;)

You know, if this weren't such a *wonderful* forum, I'd run screaming, clutching my pocketbook!

Temptation lurks in nearly every thread. And now I have to start "Jonesing" for tourmalines :)

CarolK

Time to add a few more photos!

I'll begin with the rubies. I did these very simply. May redo later if I get the whim! The shot with the rubies in my hand, I took outdoors in bright sunlight to demonstrate the fluorescence.

picture.php

picture.php

Redid these last year, changed clasp and aded a Tahitian:

attachment.php

Last edited:
Now the green apatites with sterling beads-- I used some of the sterling beads for earring charms:

picture.php

picture.php

Now my 11-11.5mm dyed "peacock" CFWP necklace, earrings and 8-9mm bracelet.

I just love wearing these. They feel rich-- I love the weight of them. I really need to restring the large ones though--the silk stretched fast-- and will try 20# PowerPro for that this time around.

picture.php

picture.php

Now for the white CFWP 8-9mm that were the first strand I ever knotted. They are slightly eggy.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

This next photo, top 3 items, shows the "vacation" items I made for myself-- I wanted something I could wear with everything, not worry about, use sunscreen, wash them every night etc. Strung on beading wire. They are 6mm and they are all flawed-- white spots etc. The luster makes the flaws hard to see.

Just goes to show that with pearls, as long as there is luster, you can get away with lots of flaws.

The bracelet on the bottom of the photo I made later-- I used the very best of these 6mm pearls. This is the bracelet I wear with Jeremy's exotics as the colors and shape go well together. I may knot it later on, but it was a fast job on wire.

picture.php

Finally for today (more tomorrow!) some tourmaline nuggets with faceted citrines. I'm not so sure I like the citrines in there; may redo this one.

picture.php

picture.php

Edit:
Redid these yesterday. Removed 6 very dark nuggets, added 3mm gf ball beads and made a hook and eye clasp from 20 gauge gf wire:

attachment.php

Last edited:
Pearl_D,
How ever do you decide what to wear when you go out???? ;) Sooooo many gorgeous choices!

:)

That's the problem, Pattye! I only started beading to make that first bracelet and now I'm hooked! :p

Pearl dreams - nice pieces again. I really like your everyday ones - a very nice set! When you restring your dyed CFWP's, I think I would even think about the 30lb test powerpro - they pretty much classify as klonks, and I find larger pearls sit better on the heavier weight.

PS The rubies are beautiful - simple and elegant by themselves..

Thanks for the heads up on the 30# thread, Nerida! I wonder if our local Wal-Mart has it?

My husband just looked at the tourmaline nuggets and said they look like jujubes!

That does it, I'm taking the citrines out!

Last edited:
Pearl D:
Great photos! You do lovely work. I am particularly besotted with all things tourmaline although my favorite jewels are rubies and pearls. Have been tossing around the idea of putting together a necklace that looks like triple tourmalines for some time. You know, three pinks, three greens, alternating. With an occassional blue in with the green. But, instead of tourmaline I want to use pearls!
Your beautiful pictures made me think of it all over again.
Thanks for the inspiration!
barbie
Isn't it wonderful being a lowly beader?

Thanks for the heads up on the 30# thread, Nerida! I wonder if our local Wal-Mart has it?

My husband just looked at the tourmaline nuggets and said they look like jujubes!

image of jujubes for those too young to know them:
http://www.viewpoints.com/images/review/2007/297/0/1193204354-37348_full.jpg

That does it, I'm taking the citrines out!

No do not do that. its a "fun and flirty" piece! I thougth the looked like Jujubes as well and thougth such a fun and flirty piece... your stuff is lovely! I also really like the rubies..

cheers
Ash.

Thank you both!

Go to it, Barbie-- and post photos when you're done please! :)

And maybe I will leave the "jujubes" in for now. Until I come up with something I like better, anyway....

I have more jewelry to post but I just couldn't get to it the past 2 days. Some finished pieces that I need to shoot, plus I'm adding an ojime mouse pendant to an existing jasper necklace. Soon I'll be stringing a very sparkly 4-strand 3mm faceted pink and green tourmaline necklace (somehow I never get tired of tourmaline.)

Tomorrow we may be going to a local bead show. Not sure... my daughter is going to Six Flags with her youth group so I have a rare date (YES!) with hubby-- not sure I want to subject him to a bead show, poor guy! :D

Pearl Dreams;
Today is the 14th! How was your rare date with hubby if I may ask? It's not often we get that opportunity is it? Hope it was great!
barbie

The Six Flags trip was extended to be a much longer day for the kids, which gave us more time for our date as well! :D

We scrubbed the bead show and drove to the Big E instead (annual Eastern States Expostition in Springfield, MA.) It's a combination agricultural fair/ states expo that runs for 2 weeks. Lots to see!

There is a beautiful breed of cattle called the Belted Galloway -- washed and fluffed up in preparation for the judging, they look like cuddly stuffed animals! Here is an image:

http://www.agriculture.state.pa.us/kile/lib/kile/Res_Belted_Galloway_B.jpg

One display that is always surrounded by a crowd is the large incubator holding chicks in all stages of hatching. That building also houses the draft horses-- just gorgeous! We watched them prep these magnificent creatures for the daily parade, where they pull a wagon.

The Big E is NOT the place to go for beads or pearls-- but we did catch a few of the Mardi Gras type necklaces thrown from the parade floats! :p

The temperature was just right for strolling all day. We ate deep-fried mushrooms and drank tropical smoothies. Even got some information from a Connecticut publisher to help my daughter in her efforts as a budding author.

All in all a very satisfying day! :)

Back