Pearl Rings for Larger Hands

Sea Urchin

I just got a new pearl ring so I'm not looking right now, but just ideas to dream on here (or maybe for somebody else!)...

I love rings but most of the affordable pearl rings just lack wow factor to me. Most of them seem to be made for small hands only. The typical pearl ring, say under 13mm on a horizontal band? Well, on my paws, that looks like a grain of rice. It has to be either a huge pearl or in a setting that's somehow enlarged vertically. They are kind of hard to find.

Wondering how common this issue is with pearl rings. Anyone else?

Here are a few. The first one is my new 14.6mm Tahitian pearl with diamond bands on either side. The others are from the 'net:

big hand ring.jpg

large hand ring1.jpg

large hand ring2.jpg

large hand ring3.jpg

large hand ring4.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Sea Urchin,
I'm another one with large fingers. There are quite a few of us on P.-G.
Pearl Paradise has the large, amazing, unusual pearls. They have ones that aren't on their website, you just have to ask about them.The baroque shapes are quite useful as there ones that are flatter with more surface area to show off orient. Their blog shows some of them. There are an interview and a video with Sheri Jurnecka. She is on P.-G. as La_corsetiere. Her jewelry designs are whimsical, fun and over-sized. Her sea dragon and octopus are wearable sculptures.
Newberry has a beautiful oversized ring that is in her P.-G. albums.as well as the blog.

From the above, I prefer the ones with just one pearl, I think, but maybe more would be neat if they were metallics or something. Anyone else have photos, internet pics or ideas to share?

Thanks, Whicker. I'll look those up!

Having the setting "come up" on either side like this WSS bypass ring of mine makes the ring look more substantial on the finger. The pearl is 13-14mm.

ss ring.jpg

Last edited:
Sea Urchin - I qualify as having big hands myself, wearing men's size gloves all of the time. Anyhow, I hope you saw this thread by Imanit on PG with her pearl rings. I found this to be such an inspiration that I went and had a white SS pearl ring designed for myself using a 14mm pearl. It is my avatar over in PS (Fly Girl is my name there).

https://www.pearl-guide.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6632&highlight=perlinda

My two pearl rings, one Tahitian the other SSP.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Don't know the size of the pearls, however, I believe the Tahitian is a 12mm and the SSP is larger at 13mm or more.

I have small hands with chubby/chunky fingers, so small delicate rings look insignificant on my hands.

DK :)

Sea Urchin -- I love your ring, your nail polish, the diamonds. Fantastic!

Lovely, DK! Ha, I have a white and a black too. I think of them as my summer and winter rings.

Flygirl- Oh yes, I know that drop dead gorgeous ring! (below, for those who missed it. The little blue stones in the half circle around it are moonstones):

flygirl.jpg

Sea Urchin: Your pearl is lovely! I've got man sized hands too and pearls around 15 mm for rings seems to hit the sweet spot for me. I'm a total klutz tho so I've yet to take the plunge on a big pearl ring. I do have a "cute" ring that I couldn't resist. It's a pair of birds.

image.jpg

image.jpg

I also tried on a eye poppingly huge ring at a store a few years ago:

image.jpg

image.jpg

Icyjade, the love birds are fantastic! I love all the details that create a story. Please may we see more photos of it from different viewpoints? Is it comfortable to wear? I would LOVE to see it in real life! Bring it to Ruckus, Pleeeaassee!

Icyjade, every time I see that lovebirds ring, I want to seek out pearl birds and make FLOCKS of little pearl birds ... rings, pendants, earrings LOL ... they're just endearing :)

Totally agree! I love big bold jewelry/pearls myself. "Dainty" is fine for some, but not in my vocabulary. A couple times, my wife has even had to ask me for "something a little less over-the-top this year okay?"...

Nah. Over-the-top is way too much fun!

Last edited by a moderator:
Some of my favorite rings are in this thread, especially Fly Girl's beautiful moonstone setting, Icyjade's darling lovebirds and Sea Urchin's 14.6mm solitare. My akoya cluster ring isn't as luxurious, but it was my grandmother's and definitely holds its own on a larger hand.

P4030575 x600.jpg

Sea Urchin - I too am afflicted with 'big paws syndrome' lol So most pearl rings look a bit bleh! as they are just too darn small. That WSS pearl ring is gorgeous!

IcyJade... that bird ring is beyond cute! I just love it ! So clever!

And Newberrys ring is one of my all time favourite pearl rings ! Ever!! Those moonstones were a brilliant choice!

Sarah, your grandmother's akoya ring is very beautiful; the leaves are perfect accent :)

Back