Pearl Oysters for opening

I guess bottom line here, ignoring the original post is..
I enjoy making jewelry. I would like to expand that enjoyment to pearls. I would like to do it the correct way and learn about them so I know what I am talking about when it comes to pearls. Thank you guys for the welcome posts. I do really hope that it's easy to get past the first simple mistake I made falling into this and move on to helping me fall in love with learning and working with pearls and maybe purchasing etc from some of the members.

I apologize for a harsh tone. My comment wasn't directed at you insomuch as the way this is affecting many of us. I'm certain if your livelihood was under siege, you'd feel the same way too. A few stern words is nothing compared to the obstacles set before us. What's worse, this is borne of a sham and I refuse to wear kid gloves dealing with folks around my contempt for it.

My inbox is flooded with with this nonsense. They immediately go to trash. Everyday I get at least one, some days two or three on Facebook or email. I've had a few nasty responses from alternate accounts for marking them as spam for not replying. I had one person email me from three accounts, DEMANDING I provide a source for these. Another claimed if I could produce these cheaper than China, they'd have a faithful customer. Like WTF is with that? What was once a service to provide information about natural pearl sources has devolved into a level of stupidity and arrogance for greed, perpetuated by pyramid schemers and ignorant re-sellers.

How does one respond to this kind of lunacy? What is it I owe these people?

I do high level scientific work with natural pearls. I have the rare opportunity to provide scientific materials on demand, but that doesn't mean I should be expected to enable others for their bad decisions either.

So Shiby, please understand I'm not singling you out and encourage you to remain and learn.

Nonetheless this scam is pushing me out.

I totally understand the frustration. Years ago I used to breed high end reptiles, I had my life in it and soon the market was flooded with people that thought they could stick any two of the same species in the same tank and make thousands of dollars. The market quickly became over saturated with poor quality animals that people wanted way to much for and had reasons that.. were complete nonsense reasons as to how they could ask outlandish prices. I had to stop breeding reptiles. There was no love left for it, nothing but greed and poor stock.
Basically I told my husband everything I learned and there are a few more tools I need to get things as perfect as I want with the pearls, one is knowledge of who to buy from. I don't need cheap stuff from China, the only reason I went there to begin with was because I didn't know where else to go. I actually found Rio Grande only last week (which was about a month after I ordered the stuff from China). I want quality, if I am going to do it I want to shed a good light on it and support good people. Not scams (which btw I paid way to much for some dead chemically oysters hahaha). I have purchased quite a few things from Fire Mountain Gems - they have loose pearls but I am not sure if they are a reputable place for those specifically.
Also, anyone that DEMANDS .. (insert curse words here) lol things from anyone automatically deserves a spam filter. Let alone one that says - if you are cheaper than China you'll have a loyal customer.. Yeah, thanks bro, cause someone can survive off of making sure they are cheaper than mass produced China junk. Naw thanks.

Last edited:
I also will not be opening the rest of the oysters I have on facebook for fun or otherwise. They will be opened just in private so I don't have to throw all my money out lol. I have explained everything thoroughly on my facebook post to them as well to hopefully deter the .. limited but decent number of friends that purchase from such schemes and explained that I will be working towards making more quality pearl jewelry (not on the quality scale some of you do obviously cause.. damn hahaha) but that if they want it, it will be a loose pearl from a reputable supplier as I won't continue to perpetuate something that is fraud essentially.

Last edited:
I guess bottom line here, ignoring the original post is..
I enjoy making jewelry. I would like to expand that enjoyment to pearls. I would like to do it the correct way and learn about them so I know what I am talking about when it comes to pearls. Thank you guys for the welcome posts. I do really hope that it's easy to get past the first simple mistake I made falling into this and move on to helping me fall in love with learning and working with pearls and maybe purchasing etc from some of the members.

If you stick around long enough and see how beautiful good quality pearls are, you will be in love. I've always loved Akoya pearls and never really looked at Tahitians until I saw some gorgeous colors on this forum. They are now my favorite along with salt water keshi. One day, I hope to own a few natural pearls because of their mystery and uniqueness. I see so many wonderful creations by members on this forum my wish list keeps growing. I think you will feel right at home here. ;)

I ordered a couple of books and I am absorbing as much information as I can as I go. I don't know how every one can tell all the types apart yet but I intend to learn it as well hahah.

Hi Shiby, Like anything worth learning, it just takes time and practice. If you can get hands on practice, even better! :)

Yes, Lady_D offers a great suggestion. Do search the older threads, as there are many reputable sources for pearls that we widely share...we offer our honest opinions, and are happy to exchange thoughts on particular purchases. This is a wonderful community that includes vendors, consumers, hobbyists, and experts who come together to discuss all kinds of pearls, and the creatures that create them.

I actually checked out the "Pearls As One" course last night! I would love to do it but it will have to wait for a while, unfortunately right now I just can't afford it. It sounds like it's worth its weight in gold though if I get the chance!

Shiby, it's free using the code from Pearl Paradise. Let me dig up the code and message it to you.

Holy.. what the what!? I must have missed that part entirely. Thank you so much!!!

Welcome - And quite a few people have bought inexpensive pearls from Kong pearls and Wen pearls on ETSY . If you want higher quality single pearls you can look at Pearl Paradise , Kojima and any number of other sellers you will find here. It all depends on what you want to do and who you want to sell to . As Pearl Dreams suggested ..Rio Grande and Bella will give you a large range of findings for sure .

Welcome, Shiby! This place is such a wonderful repository of information, both in threads and members. Personally, the more I learn, the more I want to know. You'll really enjoy the CPAA course.

My pearl book recommendations are: 1) "Pearls" by Elisabeth Strack - this is not a coffee book, but a very dense reference textbook. A must have for anyone making a serious study of pearls; 2) "Pearls: A Natural History" by Landman et al. - a much more affordable and accessible natural history book on pearls; and 3) "Black Pearls of Tahiti" by Lintilhac.

Thank you! I will write them down. I am actually 22% through the CPAA course and it is fascinating. I can't believe how detailed it is.. and how little I knew about pearls. Before I stumbled upon this group I thought I only saw cultured pearls regularly because I was poor hahah. Turns out that's the large majority of what is commercially available. I had NO idea!

Last edited:
So I have to admit, after getting half way through the Pearls as One course and learning what I have.. I watched a pearl party tonight. I had the hardest time not railing on these people. They send these "78.00 value" pearls to their "high end jeweler" and he didn't know how to shuck and oyster and he called a pearl...
Mother of Pearl color...
Kept calling it Mother of Pearl.
I now completely understand peoples frustrations on this forum.

Uh, oh, Shiby ... see what happens when you hang out with us? And you're only halfway through the course :) Glad you've been motivated to learn and grow; you'll love the rest of that course ... and see pearls there and here that will blow your mind ... have fun!

Thank you! I will write them down. I am actually 22% through the CPAA course and it is fascinating. I can't believe how detailed it is.. and how little I knew about pearls. Before I stumbled upon this group I thought I only saw cultured pearls regularly because I was poor hahah. Turns out that's the large majority of what is commercially available. I had NO idea!

I loved taking the CPAA pearl class too. It was so helpful in understanding the types and the labor and love that goes into farming pearls.

So I have tried to explain all of this to many people and they don't care! They don't want to know! They just want to do it. They want to spend their money on this. I don't get it

Back