Pearl Oysters for opening

Shiby

Hello!
I am new to the world of pearls and have recently started drilling and making my own jewelry and allowing my friends to open pearl oysters for fun to add their "personal" touch to the jewelry. I was wondering if any of you had a recommendation on a good wholesaler you recommend for settings and for oysters?
I am also open to any advice and suggestions you may have. I am really loving it and right now am only using Akoya oyster pearls.
Thank you!

*Edited as before this was ok'd to the forum I read through a lot of stuff and realized that the akoya pearls were not actually akoya pearls*

Last edited:
There are at least a half dozen threads here regarding this sort of business.

I literally just joined, so I was reading until my post got cleared. I have read that most if not all are freshwater and not akoya and that black is dyed not natural. I have informed all of my friends of this. I do not work for any of these weird pearl party companies I was doing this for fun for friends at a more than affordable rate. They are just paying to cover the settings basically. I find it disappointing that the ones charging so much in pearl parties are doing this with false advertising :(

Also makes me a little sad I bought a Vantel to begin with for a friends party :(

For some reason one of my posts didn't post so I apologize if it shows up twice for anyone.
I am super new to the group - literally heard of this group like .. maybe an hour ago from googling to learn stuff myself.
ALL of my friends have been notified that they are Freshwater and so is all of their stuff from Vantel and the rest of the pearl parties they have attended most likely.
I also essentially only charge for the setting and necklace and the rest is just something they have fun with.
I know some people seem to think it is gross but hey.. if my friends have fun with it what ever. I am here to learn.
I am not affiliated with any of these businesses as I did not feel right about any of them. I just bought a few oysters for fun

Last edited:
On that note is there a recommended place for settings that people trust? I have googled high and low and aside from stuff from China have not found much US based etc.

Is this site for a more established pearl person or did I scare everyone off by not knowing that they all hated pearl parties even though I'm not a part of those businesses?

I don't know what to expect. At all. I have only ever worked with beading and gemstones. Id love to get into pearls but I want to learn about them the correct way. I had 0 idea pearl parties had a negative connection before only a few hours ago. I only ordered 10 from a website in California for some friends.
So I either do not understand what you mean by what do I expect or
I answer with, I don't know. I expect to learn and grow I guess?

And even just reputable places to get loose pearls. I can Google of course but with limited knowledge help from people that know would be exponentially better.

Shiby, I just approved the post that didn't show up previously. No one is scared off; it's Christmas, you know, so not many people are online. :)

Shiby, welcome. You've come to the best place to learn and grow your knowledge of pearls. Read up on the threads on the "open an oyster" and you'll read why there are concerns about the honesty versus fraud and deception by the companies involved, as well as hazardous chemical preservatives. Many of us did not know in the beginning either. Stay, read, and you'll learn much of the wonder of good pearls and good vendors.

Shiby, I just approved the post that didn't show up previously. No one is scared off; it's Christmas, you know, so not many people are online. :)

I understand that totally, I was worried I had spoken to soon before reading and was going to be written off and thats certainly not what I wanted to happen. :) thats all

Shiby, welcome. You've come to the best place to learn and grow your knowledge of pearls. Read up on the threads on the "open an oyster" and you'll read why there are concerns about the honesty versus fraud and deception by the companies involved, as well as hazardous chemical preservatives. Many of us did not know in the beginning either. Stay, read, and you'll learn much of the wonder of good pearls and good vendors.

Ya I had no idea! I read that and immediately went and made a post about it so everyone I know that does those *they make purchases not consultants or whatever* is aware of what they are getting and not what they are told they are getting. I also let them know the ones they got from me were the same. Obviously I didn't make them pay stupid prices for things so it's no big deal on my side but now the pearl party places make me more irritated than before when I told my friends I'd just do the same if they'd cover the materials cost because I figured out just how much they were making. Granted I'm still waiting on mounts from China which is why I'd love to find a US dealer but I can drill and do the actual mounting myself no problem.
I appreciate all the information I can get and will continue reading as much as I can. Merry Christmas!!!

I'm just a buyer, but you may wish to check out Rio Grande and Bella Findings for settings.

Welcome, and good for you for trying to find out the truth and learn more about pearls. Most of us are people who love pearls. Some have businesses on the side that deal with pearls, but most of us, like me, just like to wear them. Oh, and buy them. Okay, I even make old pieces newer by messing around with them. But we all love pearls.

The truth is any good quality pearl is not going to be cheap. You aren't going to find a $100 pearl in a $10 oyster. The pearls in these shells are inserted after the pearl was removed from oyster that created it. No one is going to get rich from shucking fake oysters that didn't make that pearl. I have seen recent dealers say they have Tahitian and South Sea pearls in oysters and sell them for under $20 but the dishonesty part that show a picture with a relatively nice pearl, and knowing no pearl dealer is going to give away their hard work that cheap is something I choose not to participate in. Almost all, if not all (and I can't say all bc I really don't know) of the oysters from China are going to be freshwaters. Go on ebay and look around... all the pearls the Chinese sellers are selling, whether or not they state another type of pearl, they are selling freshwaters. They will even post picture of other pearls and send freshwaters. Too many people don't know the difference and are getting duped. Many US sellers on ebay are selling misidentified pearls as well. Best to educate yourself and know what you are buying and what the value is before you invest in anything. And since you've purchased mounts from China, please test all your metals. Go check out my post, which is a sticky, about ebay Chinese sellers. I have another one where I purchased a shell necklace (which is not a real pearl) but bought it for the clasp, which was 14K but tested as fake.

And one last thing... I don't see how opening up a dead creature that has been preserved in some unknown chemical for months is exciting in this day and age. People have become so environmentally conscious that they don't eat meat or are vegan, they don't wear fur or leather, don't want cosmetics tested with animals, want clean drinking water, etc... but they are ok with this?

Last edited:
I answer with, I don't know. I expect to learn and grow I guess?

Fair enough.

As to findings and other settings, try RioGrande.

On oysters, pearl farmers are not in any position to compete with shams. Oysters take at least two years to rear, sometimes three to become candidates for a pearl graft. Otherwise, they're harvested by divers, who expect a fair wage for an often dangerous task. Then you'd need to consider the deftness of technicians who work with the precision and skills of surgeons. Then you can add another 18 months to three years on top of that. Sometimes harvested pearls are re-grafted for another cycle. The greater part of any harvest has little or no value. Only a minor percentage fetches a premium. Farmers operate with highly nuanced, site specific, non-patented technology which can be co-opted by unscrupulous competitors.

The trinkets being sold at oyster opening parties are previously harvested 25 cent pearls, maybe less and the settings are shoddy. The appraisals offered by the hosts are outright fraudulent. The descriptions and disclosures of these oysters are also patently false. They are instructed to talk about spots, markings and so-called sea grass, which doesn't exist, at least not on oysters. It's algae. The greater number of the host videos I've watched can't even identify a barnacle correctly.

Opening a phony oyster isn't a choice. It's a gamble where the odds are fixed to favor the house.

This pyramid scheme is having a negative effect on legitimate producers, dealers and artisans, by bilking neophyte vendors and cheapskate clients into thinking they're getting a bargain. In reality it's nothing more than a carnival sham. Opening a polluted one year old hatchery reared, artificially implanted oyster with a dyed pearl preserved in a chemical solution is not an experience to be cherished. Instead it instills ignorance and raises disdain for the price points of quality pearls raised by well meaning, ecologically savvy pearl farmers who at great expense and risk work very hard to produce a ethical product.

It is illegal in my country to relay oysters across statistical areas of the same region, no less treated with toxic compounds and shipped internationally. Even if it were permitted, I'd have no intention of even remotely considering the prospect.

So if folks are reluctant to reply to your questions, it's because pearl opening parties are a nefarious undertaking under the current multi-level marketing schemes. They don't feel the need to suffer fools nor enable ignorance.

Hi Shiby. Curiosity is a great trait to have and there is so much to learn about pearls. There are specific Etsy and Ebay vendors that are known to be reputable for buying loose pearls. As you travel the forums, you will see their names pop up over and over.

Welcome.

Well Dave, once again I am not affiliated with any of those. I just know how to make jewelry and am capable of setting things so my friends asked me if I would do some. I purchased on my own and have 0 affiliation with any of them aside from one over priced bracelet I got from Vantel before I started asking questions.
I will have my settings tested, that's why I was interested in finding more reputable sources, so I wouldn't have to. :)
That is also why I asked about reputable loose pearl sources.
I can only learn and not be "A fool" or "ignorant" if I am allowed to do so. So I would appreciate being given the benefit of the doubt here and allowed a chance to begin with before being lumped in with pyramid scheme pearl parties because I did a few for some friends on my own with out being aware anyone at all had an issue with it to begin with. I didn't seek out a forum to learn from because I wished to stay ignorant or a fool. I sought out a forum so I could learn how to do things a better way.

Last edited:
I guess bottom line here, ignoring the original post is..
I enjoy making jewelry. I would like to expand that enjoyment to pearls. I would like to do it the correct way and learn about them so I know what I am talking about when it comes to pearls. Thank you guys for the welcome posts. I do really hope that it's easy to get past the first simple mistake I made falling into this and move on to helping me fall in love with learning and working with pearls and maybe purchasing etc from some of the members.

Back