Pearl Grading Lab Course?

That's a lot of money for one 'woeful' day.
Maybe it's time to think about putting together something with a bit more rigour and academically sound. I wonder if any university or college would be interested in setting up a course. Does anyone know how many do the various ones on offer around the world every year?

Yes, I did the GIA Pearl course and the Lab class in Tucson a number of years ago and I was dumbfounded at how childish the course was organized. I had expected so much more. Jeremy, didn't you have something to do with updating the GIA course? You don't sound too supportive of their current efforts...

But, on one of the original thoughts about attending shows for education, what are anyone's feelings about the level of information, education, quality of pearls in Tucson vs. Hong Kong?

What is enticing about Tucson is the opportunity to learn from the kind P.G. guides. The most knowledge has been on this forum, and I hope that I'll meet the owners of the businesses here. I want to see in real life the special pearls that I read about here. It is expensive for me to go to Tucson, but possible. By combining it with a visit to P.P., I think I'll have a total immersion experience for building a base of education.

The Lab class is really not practical for us who live outside the US .The GIA Hong Kong charges $500 fee for the class, plus we have to pay for air fare and as well as accommodation for at least 4 days because the Hong Kong schedule is on a Wed. and Friday from 6-9pm....

Yes, I combined it with the attending the show. Couldn't justify the course otherwise! I think mine was all in one day, though?

Instead of starting a new post i thought i would just interject here. I hope that's Ok so excuse me if it isn't (i'm new to posting here).

Can anyone recommend (or disapprove) any online courses for pearl education?

I'm new to this and i'm looking for a way (not expensive) to increase my knowledge on pearls.

Thank you

Back