Pearl found in Puerto Rico

Surfer2020

What type of pearl is this? I was free diving for lobster in Puerto Rico and found what I believe is a pearl. It’s almost perfectly round, white, and has a rainbow overtone. It is around 12-14 mm. I’ve attached photos 5AB0E6DD-FFDE-4F4F-A586-9CCCDD65B23E.jpg

Hello Surfer2020 and welcome to our forum!
Interesting find! Please give us more information...you were diving for lobsters and you found what seems to be a pearl, but: in what kind of animal did you find it?

It looks like sea glass to me, not pearl, but I could be wrong.

It looks like sea glass to me, not pearl, but I could be wrong.

Yep, or some kind of ceramic...but since we were not told from what kind of animal he took it from...remember "Prawn Pearls"??? Also, there are "otoliths", so there are people that kill a large lobster or a fish and they find "pearls" that are not pearls at all, but used for stabilization and guidance system in fish and some invertebrates.
I recently had a call from a man who found a "large white pearl" (20 mm, perfectly round) next to a train track in the desert...heck, he actually found two! And he wanted me to tell him it is a pearl worth a million bucks! I told him I believe it is a ceramic bead.

But let's wait until Surfer2020 comes back and tells us more info...even if it is not a pearl, it could be a fascinating biological tidbit. Nature...its surprises you ALWAYS.

Hey Doug! Thanks for reaching out. I did send you a message on Instagram as I am having a bad time posting photos to this thread. I found what I believe to be a pearl of some sort. When I found it it was in a rock bed/shell bed, not inside a creature. It did have a brown sticky substance attached to it that I scrapped off with my finger nails in the water. It is white to the eye, but when light hits it there is a rainbow overtone in one spot, the rest white. I don’t have a scale here in PR. Or I would weigh it, it is very heavy for its size, just smaller then a dime. I will post photos tonight from my computer for you guys!

Attachments

• 8348CEE9-E6EA-4BDE-A97C-B4A716D7CD4A.jpg
    8348CEE9-E6EA-4BDE-A97C-B4A716D7CD4A.jpg
    165.8 KB · Views: 47
  • 9CBD640D-D995-42EA-B52B-448A239A94D2.jpg
    9CBD640D-D995-42EA-B52B-448A239A94D2.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 45
Back