Pearl fell off from post

munwar

Hi all, I just joined this wonderful forum but have been a long time browser.

I have an query to ask:

I have a pair of 7mm pearl stud earrings from Asprey & Garrard that have one pearl fell off from the cup of the post and needs to be re-glued. I took it back to the Asprey in Bond Street London the other day and was quoted a repairing price of ?100. I found that exorbitant as I might as well buy a new pair for that money.

So I need advice on where in London I can have a cheap fix.

I don't have a London referral, but I agree that that is outrageous! Especially if the earring was purchased from them in the first place!

A jeweler I trust just glued back TWO pieces on two earrings (a pearl fell off one post and a peridot fell off another). He removed dried glue, cleaned everything up, and re-glued AT NO COST. I hadn't bought either of these earrings from him -- though I am a loyal customer who gives him business.

Wow, I have to agree-- especially if they are the ones that sold you the pearl. All it would take to glue it back on would be some two-part epoxy, which you could buy yourself.

that's insane. I'm not sure if its available in London but simple crazy/super glue will work. just put a drop in the hole and wipe off any excess, done.

That is outrageous! How long have you had the earrings - if not long they are legally obliged to make the repair under consumer law. (and ?100 for 7mm pearls is also outrageous! btw)
I use clear araldite (the two part mix it yourself glue). Make sure you clean all the old glue off first.
If you're not sure about diong it yourself I'll do it for the cost of the return postage (assuming you want the item insured)

@pearlescence

The earrings are about 17 years old, purchased around 1995/96. The pearl actually fell off at least 8 years ago. The pair were put aside until last week suddenly I had the wimp bringing it for a repair.

Thanks for offering to re-glue it for free but I think I'm gonna try a DIY job.

Back