Pearl farming in UAE?

jhupearl

It seems that someone is going to begin pearl culture in UAE. If someone has the information about it, please let me know.

A small operation, they had about 100k shells in the water last fall and were talking of reaching the half million mark by the end of last year. I have not seen anything else about this recently. Based on the 3-month culture they reported last year, there should definitely be pearls on the market from this operation by now. But with so few shells, they are a long way from becoming a source.

:eek: How did they reach the half million mark in only few months? I surmise that they were not able to attain the target. But I am very concerned about pearls from the operation.

A half million shells is not as difficult a task as it sounds. Their capacity was 1 million, I believe.

I will look for the article tomorrow. It was August or September of last year.

That would be even another one, I believe. I was referring to this one:

UAE NEW PROJECT SET TO BRING LUSTRE BACK TO PEARL TRADE
The EmiratesAugust 7, 2006
UAE NEW PROJECT SET TO BRING LUSTRE BACK TO PEARL TRADE

from THE EMIRATES, August 07, 2006 Pearl cultivation, once the primary industry in the Emirates, is sought to be revived by the RAK-based UAE national Al Suwaidi family and the Imura family from Mie Prefecture, Japan. "We don't consider it only as a money generating project but an attempt to revive this important industry that contributed greatly in shaping the cultural, social and economic heritage of this part of the world since time immemorial,'' Abdullah Rashid Al Suwaidi, CEO of the Emirates and Japan Pearl Cultivation and Trading Company (EJPCTC), told Khaleej Times..................

Back