pearl engagement ring

Carl

My girlfriend decided that a pearl engagement ring would be a more sustainable/green choice as well as one that stood out as unique. I've been charged with the follow-up. I'm really getting interested in pearls, and learning a ton, but I have a number of questions.

FYI, I'd like a simple cream/white single pearl ring in a white gold band, possibly with a diamond or two on either side of the pearl.

Questions
#1) I've learned that pearls are a pretty fragile gemstone--I'm assuming she will wear this ring everyday for the rest of her life, so is this a smart idea, or are we just setting ourselves up for a great deal of pearl replacements down the road? Would good maintenance be enough to make the pearl last longer? Lastly, would a certain kind of setting help increase the lifespan of the ring?

#2) It's also fairly safe to assume that I won't be able to tell my girlfriend that the pearl she's been imagining on her finger is a bad idea--so I'll probably go with a pearl. That said, which kind of pearl would be the longest lasting? I tend to like the look of Akoya pearls, but another cream pearl that lasts longer would be better, are natural pearls longer lasting?

#3) I stopped by some jewelry stores to look at pearl rings and they all offer a lifetime warranty in case the ring gets damaged or the pearl needs to be replaced. But generally speaking I've only found rings I like online--do you know of any online sellers that offer warranties? Are there any risks buying rings online? (I've found a ring or two I like on Americanpearl.com: what's their reputation?)

#4) Last one for now, I'm curious about industry standards for accounting for the environmental practices of the pearling industry. Of course, water quality is important in the creation of good pearls, but is there any movement of Corporate Social Responsibility, or Sustainability within the industry? Can I find any information about that from the sources themselves?

Thanks for answering my questions, this is a really great site, I enjoy the enthusiasm for pearls.

My girlfriend decided that a pearl engagement ring would be a more sustainable/green choice as well as one that stood out as unique. I've been charged with the follow-up. I'm really getting interested in pearls, and learning a ton, but I have a number of questions.

FYI, I'd like a simple cream/white single pearl ring in a white gold band, possibly with a diamond or two on either side of the pearl.

Look at Pearl Paradise: they have very nice pearl rings, the same goes for ou other vendors of this forum. Just check out different threads/posts and You will get an idea and names.

Questions
#1) I've learned that pearls are a pretty fragile gemstone--I'm assuming she will wear this ring everyday for the rest of her life, so is this a smart idea, or are we just setting ourselves up for a great deal of pearl replacements down the road? Would good maintenance be enough to make the pearl last longer? Lastly, would a certain kind of setting help increase the lifespan of the ring?

Pearl rings are most safe in a bezel setting. Look up the thread under "Pearl Fashion & Style", there some of the members posted very nice examples.The lifespan of the pearl and ring depends on how careful you are avoiding bumping against hard things, surfaces and so on.

#2) It's also fairly safe to assume that I won't be able to tell my girlfriend that the pearl she's been imagining on her finger is a bad idea--so I'll probably go with a pearl. That said, which kind of pearl would be the longest lasting? I tend to like the look of Akoya pearls, but another cream pearl that lasts longer would be better, are natural pearls longer lasting?

If you are careful, allmost all pearls will be OK, most probably a Freshwaterpearl would be best for wear as it consists of 100% nacre and so will not lose the relatively thin layers of nacre that are on Akoyas and South Sea Pearls (Pearl plated beads) compared to Freshwater pearls. I don?t think that natural pearls will last longer, everything depends on the treatment the pearl and ring gets. BTW are you aware of the difference in a pearl being "natural" or a cultured pearl with natural colours (i.e. not dyed)? Natural pearls can be very expensive, that is one factor that will make you aware of one of the differences, however.

#3) I stopped by some jewelry stores to look at pearl rings and they all offer a lifetime warranty in case the ring gets damaged or the pearl needs to be replaced. But generally speaking I've only found rings I like online--do you know of any online sellers that offer warranties? Are there any risks buying rings online? (I've found a ring or two I like on Americanpearl.com: what's their reputation?)

I think it is ridiculous to give a lifetime warranty as it wholly depends on the person who has the ring. It happens that the Glue drys up in certain settings so the jeweller has to glue it again, if the pearl is not safely held by claws or a bezel setting but generally speaking I think most rings will be OK if one does not wash the dishes every day with it on the finger. I am quite certain that our vendors will give some sort of warranty and should the pearl fall off, they are certain to fix it without any great costs for you. If you choose to buy from some of our above mentioned members (vendors) there is no risk at all. You can find posts on About American Pearl under different threads, I think you can forget about them, just choose one of our member-vendors and you will be fine! They are certain to have many nice and different settings/shapes for you to choose from. As for that matter you can also buy any other pearl jewellery online (from our vendors, that is) without any risk whatsoever plus a very nice return time if you should not like the item in question (Up to 90 days without any questions asked). Regarding the bodycolour of the pearl, there are several to be had with different overtones (rose, cream, silver) and so on.

#4) Last one for now, I'm curious about industry standards for accounting for the environmental practices of the pearling industry. Of course, water quality is important in the creation of good pearls, but is there any movement of Corporate Social Responsibility, or Sustainability within the industry? Can I find any information about that from the sources themselves?

Environmental practises differ a lot as you probably know, Tahitian Pearl farmer Josh (one of our members) does a lot for the environment, the same goes for other farmers as well but the Chines for example are not so good at it, small farms do not have the means and so in a short time perspective, do not much about it. Still it is dawning on more people how important it is to be aware and do something about environmental issues. Read more on our threads "Pearl Farming" and Pearling Industry News", there are several posts on environmental issues.

Let us know what you buy, we also do like photos!:eek:

Last edited by a moderator:

Look at Pearl Paradise: they have very nice pearl rings, the same goes for ou other vendors of this forum. Just check out different threads/posts and You will get an idea and names.

Questions

Pearl rings are most safe in a bezel setting. Look up the thread under "Pearl Fashion & Style", there some of the members posted very nice examples.The lifespan of the pearl and ring depends on how careful you are avoiding bumping against hard things, surfaces and so on.

If you are careful, allmost all pearls will be OK, most probably a Freshwaterpearl would be best for wear as it consists of 100% nacre and so will not lose the relatively thin layer of nacre that is on Akoyas and South Sea Pearls (Pearl plated beads) compared to Freshwater pearls. I don?t think that natural pearls will be longer lasting, all depends on the treatment the pearl and ring gets. BTW are you aware of the difference in a pearl being "natural" or a cultured pearl with natural colours (i.e. not dyed)? Natural pearls are very expensive, that is one factor that will make you aware of one of the differences, however.

I think it is ridiculous to give a lifetime warrant as it wholly depends on the person who has the ring. It happens that the Glue drys up in certain settings so the jeweller has to glue it again, if the pearl is not safely held by claws or a bezel setting but generally speaking I think most rings will be OK if one does not washes the dishes every day with ith on the finger. I am quite certain that our vendors will give some sort of warranty and should the pearl fall off, they are certain to fix it without any great costs for you. If you choose to buy from some of our above mentioned members (vendors) there is no risk at all. You can find posts on About American Pearl under different threads, I think you can forget about them, just choose one of our member-vendors and you will be fine! They are certain to have many nice and different settings/shapes for you to choose from. As for that matter you can also buy any other pearl jewellery online (from our vendors, that is) without any risk whatsoever plus a very nice return time if you should not like the item in question (Up to 90 days without any questions asked).

Environmental practises differ a lot, as you probably know, Tahitian Pearl farmer Josh (one of our members) does alot for the environment, the same goes for other farmers as well but the Chines for example are not so good at it, small farms do not have the means and so in a short time perspective, do not much about it. Still it is dawning on more people how important it is to be aware and do something about it. Read more on our thread "Pearl Farming" and Pearling Industry News", there are several posts on environmental issues.

Let us know what you buy, we also do like photos!:eek:

Carl said:

Well, I don't think it is a bad idea at all. I'd bet on a smaller natural pearl in a fairly protective setting.

- why smaller (say, 7-8mm): because it sits lower on the hand and has altogether fewer chances to get banged around. A natural pearl over 6mm would be a respectable choice, I think...

- why natural: I think it should be a pearl of solid nacre. Natural pearls are a spectacular choice, but cultured pearls can be all-nacre too - a symmetrical saltwater keshi (tall button, round...), or freshwater as recommended by Inge's post before me. Obviously, cultured freshwater pearls are the easiest option here by a hundred miles!

- why saltwater: I am not sure about this, but some say saltwater pearls are harder and take wear better. It is known that their nacre is more densely packed... so I ten to believe this claim. Haven't tried it out or anything.

- what's 'protective setting': IMO a wide-ish frame of small stones around the pearl are even safer then a bezel - you get a 'barrier' against side knocks. It doesn't have to have a ton of rock: but if narrow, I'd leave an airline between the frame and the pearl. Also, if the pearl is peg set (I still favor this), it better be that it's bottom does not touch the finger or else the friction may eventually dislodge the pearl. It happens on stud earrings - learned it the hard way recently.

Bottom line: this is not going to be a 24/7 ring, no matter what the setting looks like. So... I wouldn't try too hard to come up with a bullet proof ring model. Just enjoy the pearl ;)

My 2c.

No expert here: this is what I've decided for a prospective pearl ring for myself. This will be meant for occasional wear - like most jewelry, but unlike the usual American engagement ring.

So many great ideas! Let's not forget the keishi pearls, which are all nacre and so beautiful, usually a more flattened shape also. And they come in white. This is one of my favs by DruzyDesign--

keishi ring.jpg

Love the circle of life scrolls too

Pattye
so many pearls, so little time

A keishi pearl would be really nice. A lot of victorian and georgian rings had pearls in them and they held up well. My friend has an opal engagement ring and opals are pretty soft as well. She wears her wedding band 100% of the time but only wears the opal when she leaves the house.She feels like she has to take some extra care.

Hi Jerin,

I printed out your great answer/post and put it in my pearl folder! I can whip a copy out and just hand it to people who ask me what Carl is asking. Thanks!!

Slraep

pattye said:
Let's not forget the keishi pearls...

Absolutely not forgotten!

How about that setting though? With the thick golden fence aroud it, the pearl appears to have something (make that 'allot') to hide :( Quite sad, if the pear was not a blister.

You could always have something custom made. 100% nacre means no (nucleus) bead inside. Freshwater pearls are solid nacre so are keishi pearls. South sea pearls have a really thick nacre over the bead and sometimes the nacre on akoyas can be thin.

Carl said:
Pearl paradise only had one ring type available (not very engagementy)

Hm... there certainly are more, a rather large selection actually. Have you seen these:

http://www.pearlparadise.com/pearl-paradise-natural-pearl-jewelry-collection.htm

Carl said:
I'd also welcome some more input about the freshwater/akoya/southsea durablility discussion.

I was searching for the same bit of info a wile back and the question started an interesting thread:

https://www.pearl-guide.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1649

Carl said:
What's this about 100% nacre?

Well... this sort of thing:

https://www.pearl-guide.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2180

I would suggest going the custom route as well. That way you can focus on finding an amazing pearl, and then fine tune the setting details yourself. That Care Ehret ring is stunning, too bad it is in yellow! Maybe look into getting a loose freshadama from PP? Then find someone you trust to set it. I love this setting: http://www.artofplatinum.com/4images/details.php?image_id=375 It may have been posted around here before. Obviously, you would want a smaller pearl for everyday wear, but yum! I believe he does a lot of custom work, may be worth checking in to. Good luck!

A site that I love that does custom work and always uses bezels is www.jamesmeyerjewelry.com
I haven't seen pearl rings on the site but I'm sure some of the settings would work well with pearls.

I really like this ring.

As nice as they are, those settings are quite generic - others may have the same or even find very similar things from their suppliers of semi-finished jewelry components.

I don't know whether I like it or not from the picture - would sure like to see the side view.

Valeria, how funny!

Indeed :)

Too bad there are so few pearl things from them online (earrings anyone?) and the modern examples are not half bad either (e.g. bezel - with an open undercarriage that does not show there). Not sure how many would find their prices convenient, but there is far, far worse for similar quality.

[sory for the long one: I'm a fan, not a freelance marketer! :eek:]

So, I've encountered a bit of a set back, I asked a dealer to give me a quote on custom work, and I got the following reply, which I really appreciatehis candor and honesty (deterring business for him on the basis of ethical standards, speaks very highly for him and his company). But as I mentioned in my original post, telling my girlfriend that she can't have the pearl ring she's been imagining would be really not fun, to say the least. Any responses?

Hi Carl,

It is commendable that you take such an interest in buying "green", if we were all a little more like you we'd be in a better place.

That being said, I cannot ethically sell you a pearl engagement ring. Pearl rings are notorious for scratching, banging and just plain getting beaten up when worn occasionally. I don't pearl rings really suitable for occasional wear, let alone daily wear as an engagement ring. I think in the end you will regret it as the pearl is likely to come off the post and get damaged or possibly even lost.

Another company may help you out, but I do urge you to consider the function of the ring and not just the form. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Back