Pearl Chain

Lady_Disdain

Carved pearl chain by Lin Cheung - aye or nay?

Lin-Cheung-carved--Pearl-necklace-chain_800.jpg
Lin-Cheung-carved-pearl-necklace-chain-detail_800.jpg

Mmmm..doesn't do much for me unfortunately. I'm gunna go with nay.

It is a contemporary piece, Pattye. Lin Cheung does a lot of rereading of traditional jewelry and here she reinterprets the pearl necklace and the traditional chain.

The pearls are carved into the links. Obviously, some of the links have to be cut open and then glued (I guess) back after assembling the chain.

Personally, I find it interesting but I am not totally sold on it. I wonder if, in hand it will look more like carved pearls and less like mother of pearl.

So if I understand, each link is carved from a single pearl? YAY for me. I suspect it would look better in person than a photo. Intriguing ... thanks for sharing Beatriz :)

Oh, clearly I would have learned more if I'd looked up the designer, but I was in a hurry~lol. I will check into her later today. Many hours must have gone into making the chain. I do find that clasp a distraction, and the chain worthy of a more unique clasp.

Not changing my vote!

Unique and fun. This is pretty, concept. However a piece definitely for one more dainty than I. Be afraid I'd break it.

Nay. It looks like it took a lot of work to make something that looks, dare I say it, inexpensive.

Interesting but no for me, too.

I also can't figure out how they were carved to be interlocking that way. I've seen wooden chains cut that way, all from one piece of wood, but how would this happen with pearls? :confused: Were they cut in half and glued together? Do you see a seam?

Interesting but no for me, too.

I also can't figure out how they were carved to be interlocking that way. I've seen wooden chains cut that way, all from one piece of wood, but how would this happen with pearls? :confused: Were they cut in half and glued together? Do you see a seam?

Cut and glued. You can see a seam or two on the links on the left part of the photo, if you zoom in. And I wouldn't want to be the one making it.

The first thing I noticed is that the clasp does not go with the necklace AT ALL! Otherwise, an interesting concept that deserves a one of a kind clasp to go with it. :)

It's definitely a yay for me. It does need a different type of clasp.

I think the clasp was actually deliberately chosen. I think it is meant to tie the reinterpreted necklace back with the typical, humdrum pearl necklace. A more unusual clasp would distance it from the starting place.

If I were to wear it, though, I know exactly what clasp I would want. Interlocking carved pearls, about 30-50% larger than the links.

It's the "humdrum" clasp that makes it look cheap. An interesting, diamond studded, interlocking loop clasp would have completely changed my impression of the necklace.

What BWeaves said. That clasp is a dud. I'd be afraid of the glue coming loose and then the chain needing to be repaired at best, lost at worst. Plus using high quality pearls means it's likely expensive. Same thing couldv'e been done with MOP for much less.

I like those sorts of chains though, especially in bog oak or jet.
whitby jet.jpg

It's a yay for me, depending on the length for wear. Otherwise, it's still a yay for me as an artist's piece. I like the idea behind it.

Back