Pearl and Gemstones

If so, are they using a colored plastic dome, or a colored paste filler after removing the dome, so that the color is seen through the nacre?

Very interesting hypotheses. I'll try to find out more. I wonder how thin the nacre would have to be to let a colour shine through?

You can see in the photo that it's thin!

The reason blue akoyas are blue is that it's the color of a brown coating on the nucleus shining through. The brown coating is the result of some injury to the gonad when the bead is inserted. Thinner nacre baroque blue akoyas look tan, while thicker nacre look bluer.

I've seen blue osmena "pearls" (nautilus shell cut to look like an oval mabe pearl.) The color is not natural.

You can see in the photo that it's thin!

The reason blue akoyas are blue is that it's the color of a brown coating on the nucleus shining through. The brown coating is the result of some injury to the gonad when the bead is inserted. Thinner nacre baroque blue akoyas look tan, while thicker nacre look bluer.

I've seen blue osmena "pearls" (nautilus shell cut to look like an oval mabe pearl.) The color is not natural.

Very interesting explanation, Pearl Dreams.
I might add that this phenomenon of thin nacre turning in blue on a conchyoline brown layer can be met on surface of thick nacre freshwater pearls. I think some disturbance during time to grow makes mussel to produce these layers, without aragonite. Then, if pearls are harvested a short time after, sometimes they look between blue and lavender, but most often lavender. That's the case of most bluish lavender flameballs presentely found on the market.
Reading you, it's seems that is working also for saltwater pearls.
I am wondering of usual thickness of SoC mabe nacres, have you any informations?

Last edited:
So, I couldn't resist seeing these "natural colour Japanese freshwater mabe" in person. Whatever they are, they are pretty. I just wish I got three to cut one up and see the interior, I'd be so curious about the colour and materials of the nucleus and the nacre thickness. Maybe I need to activate my medical friends to get an X-ray of these babies?!
Here they are with my SoC+tourmaline mabe earrings (pearls and gems thread, right ;) )
mabe-07-2018-44.jpg
mabe-07-2018-43.jpg
mabe-07-2018-42.jpg

I'm drooling over the SOC with tourmaline earrings. Earshots!!!

Hogging away on this thread.... sorry, not sorry. :)
Here are the seafoam Tahitian spike earrings I made. I’m very much at the beginning of all of this, so I 3D modelled my design in the computer and had it cast/3D printed in silver (because I love hinged jewellery and my metal smithing/soldering skills aren’t good enough to make things like this by hand).
I love how the mint green garnets go with this gorgeous pearl colour! Pearls are from Cees, always a pleasure.
Screen Shot 2018-07-12 at 07.19.34.jpg

Screen Shot 2018-07-12 at 07.19.42.jpg

Screen Shot 2018-07-12 at 07.19.23.jpg

Screen Shot 2018-07-12 at 07.19.58.jpg
Loving the under-water shots to show the true colours!
Screen Shot 2018-07-12 at 07.19.51.jpg

Morella, you can hog this thread anytime! LOVE the earrings and the designs; how wonderful for you to be able to create this way!

I am wondering of usual thickness of SoC mabe nacres, have you any informations?
Ericw, The Cortez Pearl mabes have thick nacre. I have some that are unset and when I locate them I will take a photo so you can see where the mop backing is applied. I will be seeing Douglas at Ruckus and will make it a point to ask him, too.

Thanks everyone!
I cannot wait to get more info about SoC nacre thickness via the ruckus ... and ALL the pictures of the erotochromic stuff!

Hi all!
I am very happy to be here. I wanted to show my most precious collection. These are my pearls and I keep them with a lot of love. I hope you like it :D
DCIM_12.JPG
DCIM_13.JPG
DCIM_14.JPG
DCIM_15.JPG

Back