Pearl and Bead stringing class in NY

akoya

Community member
I would like to ask all the lowly beaders for help and advise.

I decided to take the GIA's Pearl grading class on Oct 1st and the Pearl and Bead string class on Oct 5th and 6th this fall. After one week of struggling with the NY campus they informed that the Pearl and Bead stringing class was canceled until Oct or Nov 2010. However that class was on my registration form.
Since I have booked my returned ticket to Europe on the 7th of Oct 2009, does anyone know a Pearl and Bead stringing workroom in NY that I can take classes with?

Thanking you in advance
Akoya

Pearlgully hi,

I would like to express my sincere appreciation for your kind support. I will call Maryanne before my departure. I shall let you know about the outcome.

Thanks again.
Akoya

I was thinking Gail would know, and up popped the reply! You're awesome. ;)

Gail,

I called 212-531-2723 and the operator informed me that this a wrong number. Then I called 212-717-6636, asked for Maryanne and somebody said that she is going to be in the littleshopny on thursday. I will keep trying.

Akoya

Hi Akoya,

You are welcome. I must still have their old phone number.

Good luck.
Gail

Akoya,

I just received an email from the Jewelry Arts Institute and I thought of you. The school is located in Manhattan. I hope you can get in. Their phone number is (212) 362-8633. I think this is their email address jewelryartsinstitute@earthlink.net. Good luck.

Gail

"We are now accepting registration for the pearl stringing workshop with Marsha Davis which will be held on Saturday, October 3, from 11 am to 5 pm at JAI.

Learn the art of pearl knotting and bead stringing through a series of demonstrations and hands-on samples. Basic construction methods including bead tips, French wire and crimp beads will be covered, as well as proper selection and use of various stringing materials.

Students can expect to complete a knotted pearl necklace and samples of other stringing techniques to take home with them. Students may also bring in pieces that need restringing for consultaion with Marsha.

Reema Galconda will also be there to demonstrate different ways to wear pearls (and no doubt will have some of her beautiful pearls for sale!).

The fee is $55 for currently registered students and $75 for others if space is available. Enrollment is limited to 12 students. Please let us know by September 28 if you wish to register (e-mail if you can, otherwise call 212-362-8633). A list of necessary supplies will be sent to those enrolled after September 28. Thank you."

Last edited:
I wonder if that's Reema Keswani of Golconda? ;)

Yes, Blaire, it is. OMG, she has some exquisite pearls (oh, how I know ;)). To make a long story short, she mentioned to me that she knows you.

Gail

Last edited:
I am a huge Reema fan. She's a terrific author, as well as a fellow pearl-lover! If only I lived in NYC. <sigh> Wait, I'm remembering the night I couldn't get a cab and it was six degrees... ;)

Back