Orbit Clasp

My dad's gf has pretty bad arthritis in her hands and she only uses magnetic clasps now. Even box clasps are difficult for her to work.

I don't have orbit clasps myself, but I do have some antique dog clasps which function in the same fashion. I find them very fiddly to both hook and especially unhook. I have light arthritis in my hands and I find that level of fiddliness to be an impediment to using those style clasps.

I have used THESE CLASPS before for other family with arthritis and they roundly got thumbs up.

Newberry has killed this thread! While everyone is ogling the pearls, I've got my eye on that diamond ring ;)

Katbran: I got my orbit clasps from either PP and Rio Grande. Mine are all solid 14K gold.

I don't find the large orbits difficult to open. I just find them stiffer than the small orbits, which are very easy to open. I chalked it up to the spring mechanism probably being thicker. It's possible that if you open and close it a few times, that it might loosen up some. Or different clasps might be slightly different.

Last edited:
OMG JERSEYPEARL!!!! That necklace is beautiful!!!!! How long is each strand.

Thanks Mermaid. Each side is 18" so it creates a 36" necklace. I can also wear these two strands together as a double strand necklace. Because of the way the orbits are, it is possible to shorten one necklace by looping the orbit over a pearl rather than onto the other end of the clasp. It works really well.

Say what, Katbran? I'm off to check out Rio ... THANKS!

Sorry, Katbran ... my error. Thanks! I was so bleary eyed trying to finish trip insurance claims for our new widow I forgot to go look by the time I got off the computer lol. 30 days to South Pacific, 4 hotels, 4 flights, one cruise, 4 different insurance companies ... ugh!

Nice clasp, I like it

Well again I want to thank you all for the extremely helpful photos ! I bought two large Orbits in gold. They arrived today and look lovely. I see what you mean about them being stiff but then it's a hard road to walk with a clasp that folds inwards..you don't want it too loose. I think that a size up might be a bit easier to handle for someone with fine motor issues. But I'm very happy with them and they look great with the necklace. So now I don't have any more excuses..I have to start knotting ... ugh lol

Katbran would you say that they are easier to use than the normal ball clasp?

Looking forward to seeing your pieces!

I think that it won't be too hard for her to use on this short rope. At least I hope she can deal with it !! If not I'll have to reknot it with a different clasp when I'm back in America this summer. My sister in law saw the photos of the orbit and now she wants her long rope redone and the clasp changed to an Orbit. I'll spend my vacation knotting Tahitian and SS ropes....

Personally I don't like the ball clasp style as I find them a bit difficult. The larger balls are not so bad but the little ones are tricky for me. I seem to have fumble fingers now. Plus I never feel like they are secure on longer ropes. The Orbit is very secure. I'm pleased with it!

Back