Once burned twice shy

Average size is 6.9mm according to seller.

Tahitians are mostly larger.

Also, expect to pay more for real Tahitians, even pre-owned ones.

Last edited:
There is not enough words I could say to express how grateful I am for your opinion and help my untrained eyes. I guess I will need to save some serious money if I want the real thing :eek: I think I know where to find one :cool:

CatsNme, I am so glad you are asking before you are buying! There are so many people trying to pass off freshwater pearls as Tahitians. Just today, I saw a couple of listings on Amazon Handmade for a "freshwater Tahitian Pearl", and "Authentic Tahitian white lustrous freshwater pearl"!

Hi JerseyPearl, you guys provide such wonderful service to people like me to sort out what is what in the pearl buying market such as eBay. Not seeing the product in person all we rely on (as a buyers) are the photos and descriptions, and other claims made by the sellers. Sometimes, I get a wonderful surprise once I receive the item or I am disappointed.

I am going to watch the Pearl as One blog to educate myself.

Thank you again

It's unfortunate that many will, unknowingly or deliberately, try to pass off dyed freshwater pearls as Tahitians. Oftentimes using the word "Tahitian" to describe the pearl color and not the pearl type. As Pearl Dreams stated, real Tahitians will generally be larger and more costly.

Ebay is a den of fraud with pearls right now. I would be very leery of anything on there.

I would definitely avoid eBay or any other on line 'antique ' store. We see people scammed all the time by fake Tahitians from these on line sellers...some of them are quite popular...but the South Sea and Tahitians they sell are often fake and they do not want to hear about it.

Stick to regular stores - I know people have mentioned some - not sure if this place got mentioned as well but if you want a big selection of Tahitians .. Tahitian Pearl Biz is a possibility..that's all he sells ( a bit of South Sea maybe ) . And PP of course.

Tahitian black is a cunning dodge around the descriptions - they are describing the dye colour. Don't beat yourself up. Thousands fall for this on eBay all the time, which is why it is done. Other sellers, possibly with poor english skills just throw Tahitian into their descriptions to big them up. I reckon that when they are using Tahitian to describe white pearls they aren't trying to deceive as much as trying to make their pearls seem high quality.
Generally with pearls you will get what you pay for, with a few very rare exceptions. As a novice you would do better to study (which you are doing, great) and stick with sellers who value their hard-won reputations via their own websites. Other non-trade forum members can point y ou in the right direction for just what you want

Thank you everyone for the feedback and guidance. My recent purchase of a misrepresented black pearl by an eBay seller is very humbling.

Thank you also for providing names of reputable online sellers of pearls. I have started to preview the pearls they are offering.

Last edited:
This probably belongs in a different thread, but I am so excited to say that I just purchased a 20 inches fresh water pearls from PP. I am giving it as a bridal shower gift to a family. I hope she will like it.

Welcome CatsNme, to this wonderful forum. I joined only recently but I have learned SO MUCH by browsing all the posts here for incredible knowledge, experience, and pictures of real pearls in real life. I would also highly recommend the Pearls as One course, another great source of knowledge.

OMG I tuned the TV last night to a shopping channel offering pearls. I felt so great that I could tell very quickly that they were not-very-round, dyed freshwater pearls - and the price was $39.99 for 10 bracelets! They were strung on elastic even. Yikes, I am so glad I am learning!
Linda

Too cheap for the tahitian and too expensive for the freshwater pearls! Something wrong with this seller )))

Hello mrsadm: thank you; I am learning so much from reading the discussions in this forum and from the feedback for the wonderful member of PG. I am looking forward to learning more about pearls from all the members.

Lol, that TV show would be bad for my wallet had I not joined PG. :eek:

Hello Naan, had it not been for this forum I would have made another mistake in thinking I getting a deal of a life time. :(

Back